Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #11
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:
Re: Declined antibiotic for Group B & regretted it?

Here in our state, if a mom or baby tests positive for illegal drugs, CPS takes the baby. Dh has had to make that call more times than I like to think about, and they always lose the baby. After that, the system is pretty messed up, but in the hospital they do not allow crack moms to walk out with their baby.

Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #12
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For my first two I had the abx but insufficient dosage due to short labours. I was happy to stay the 2 nights after my first daughter but pushed to leave after 24 hours with my second. My reasoning was because my waters only broke right before both of them were born so I was not very worried about their exposure.

With my 3rd I had a homebirth and had the option of going to my backup hospital to get IV abx once labour started. I laughed at that suggestion, and just decided we would monitor after the baby is born (which is basically what we did with my other two anyway as I did not receive the required dosage). Lo and behold my labour was under 2 hours, so I would never have received abx anyway. We just kept a close eye on baby's temp for the first few days, my mom is a MW so that made me happier to have somebody extra around to check on her, and my homebirth MW also did home visits the first few days.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:51 AM   #13
mmeneely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If a mom or baby tests positive for illegal drugs, you are darn straight the authorities should be taking the baby or child away. If a mother cannot take care of herself, why should she be given ANY opportunity to even try to take care of another? Pregnancy is a PRIVILEGE, not a right.
mmeneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #14
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees View Post
Here in our state, if a mom or baby tests positive for illegal drugs, CPS takes the baby. Dh has had to make that call more times than I like to think about, and they always lose the baby. After that, the system is pretty messed up, but in the hospital they do not allow crack moms to walk out with their baby.
That is at least a start. You would not believe the accomodation drug positive moms get! Very sad So many of them are frequent flyers too and they just keep sending these babies home. Our local hospital gets quite a few "boarder" babies from a large hospital that specializes in scoring babies but are ready for step down care. Just heart breaking.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #15
redlichen
Registered Users
seller

Anyone know a brand for infant probiotics. If nursing goes well & bottles are nit needed or used in the very beginnjng, how do you get them into the baby?
redlichen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #16
melilo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not sure of specific brands, but there are some you can apply to the nipple just before nursing. Baby shouldn't mind that it's there because it's a tiny amount.

Rubber City Doula You Deserve A Doula!
DONA Trained Birth Doula
melilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #17
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know it's not something any of us would want to do, but IMO it's incredibly important to get the antibiotics if you can if you are GBS positive. there are very serious and sometimes fatal outcomes for babies with GBS.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #18
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

We gave DS probiotics for a short period of time to help with vomiting/colic and we got them behind the counter at Target - that was the only place we could find them. I can't remember the name but they were in a brown glass bottle in a yellow and white box and it cost us around $40 for a 30 day supply.

ETA: this is a good article I found while researching the GBS test... I personally wouldn't take the antibiotics if I did end up testing positive. http://www.natural-pregnancy-mentor....pregnancy.html

Last edited by KelseyH; 10-21-2012 at 10:36 AM.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #19
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

I chose to have the abx, I have homebirths with a CNM who does use them for Strep B + moms. I also know someone who had their baby die from Strep B so that influenced my decision. For my subsequent pregnancies I prevented + results by upping my probiotic intake.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #20
clothdiapercrunchy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you can use chlorhexidine vaginally (Hibiclens). That is what homebirth midwives use here.