Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #11
mixed_chica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: The home-made thread got me thinking, So what about teachers and Christmas?

What kinds of things would you all bake?

Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No teachers, but I'm doing cookie tins for all the extended family gifts this year. They all get presents for our boys and a gift exchange is expected on Christmas Eve, but we just can't go all out with the third baby being born a few months later and needing a second larger vehicle also. I don't know that they as much expect gifts or would be offended if we didn't gift to them, but I would feel crummy taking from them and not giving at least something in return. I am a good cook and have some excellent cookie recipes.

Here's what I plan to do this year:
Christmas Crack
Chocolate-Filled Cashew Cookies
Salted Caramel Cookie Cups (Salted Chocolate too)
Brown Sugar Cookies - Possibly
Easy Nutella Cookies - Possibly
Oatmeal Scotchies - Recipe on the back of Butterscotch Chips package

Maybe a loaf of a sweet bread per family as well...
Veann - Libertarian, atheist, bookworm, heavy metal Mommy to all boys: Lucius (2-13-09), Orion (4-22-11), and Castiel (3-4-13), wife to Matthew - Anti-circumcision, babywearing, somewhat AP, natural birthing/ homebirthing, don't care about being "green", doing things my own way...

Last edited by cheezpoofs; 10-19-2012 at 09:47 AM.
cheezpoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #13
catilina
Registered Users
seller

I'm the odd one out. As a teacher, I almost never ate homemade goodies. I just get skeeved out about eating stuff that was baked in a kitchen I've never been in. I don't know about the hygiene or sanitary practices of the homes my students came from, so I just made the rule to not eat homemade goodies. When my husband was teaching high school students and college students, we basically had the same rule, except for the few students whose families we actually did know quite well. I can probably count on one hand the number of students who have/would qualify for that! I always felt bad, but we would either give away the goodies to people who don't have the same hang-ups (we would tell them of course), or we would throw them away. We do the same for surprise homemade treats left on our doorstep without a note. Not that I think anything we eat would hurt us, I just don't trust the kitchen cleanliness of just anyone... It's my own weird hang-up, but knowing how I feel, and also knowing others who feel the same way, I wouldn't make homemade goodies for teachers, in case they are similar.

i'm a bloggin' mama! Your Fire, Your Soul
catilina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #14
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I was teaching I always enjoyed homemade treats. Thats a little different situation then trick or treating. Teachers eat the food that parents provide at holiday parties and gatherings. Most will eat homemade treats unless there is an allergy. For me I would eat them, but have to leave them at school because dd has allergies so I wouldn't take anything homemade home.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #15
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
I am a former elementary school music teacher. I really enjoyed the homemade Christmas treats my students brought me. I went more by the parent than the student. Little Johnny might be a serious nose picker, but his mom, who made the treats, appears to be very sanitary and health conscious.

As an alternative, if you sew, these tissue holders are sweet and use a small amount of scrap fabric, trim, and bias tape (or make your own.) http://vacuumqueen.blogspot.com/2008...ue-holder.html
While I think those are adorable, they are kind of hit or miss with people. I actually have one listed on my wahm page and I brought some to a craft fair and only one sold
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1245737

Last edited by drunkenmonkeysmommy1; 10-19-2012 at 10:04 AM.
drunkenmonkeysmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #16
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm also chiming in on they not doing homemade baked goods for the sake of my SIL who teaches 2nd grade and who wouldn't eat homemade stuff since she doesn't really know what kind of home these kids live in. Even something like a thank you letter from the child (or you) with a $5 gift card to somewhere that sells office supplies or something like Dunkin Doughnuts or Starbucks would be great.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #17
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezpoofs View Post
No teachers, but I'm doing cookie tins for all the extended family gifts this year. They all get presents for our boys and a gift exchange is expected on Christmas Eve, but we just can't go all out with the third baby being born a few months later and needing a second larger vehicle also. I don't know that they as much expect gifts or would be offended if we didn't gift to them, but I would feel crummy taking from them and not giving at least something in return. I am a good cook and have some excellent cookie recipes.

Here's what I plan to do this year:
Christmas Crack
Chocolate-Filled Cashew Cookies
Salted Caramel Cookie Cups (Salted Chocolate too)
Brown Sugar Cookies - Possibly
Easy Nutella Cookies - Possibly
Oatmeal Scotchies - Recipe on the back of Butterscotch Chips package

Maybe a loaf of a sweet bread per family as well...
The Christmas crack is awesome! I had some of that once and am just amazed at how simple it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmonkeysmommy1 View Post
While I think those are adorable, they are kind of hit or miss with people. I actually have one listed on my wahm page and I brought some to a craft fair and only one sold
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1245737
How sad! I think they are adorable, too! I did it for some relatives who were LSU fans out of LSU themed fabric along with some various sized rice packs. I wouldn't personally spend the money on them myself, but that's because a) I can make them myself and b) I can't justify spending money to make tissues cute. I can appreciate it as a whimsical gift though.

I bet if Vera Bradley was selling those, they'd go like hotcakes!

OP, I've done fudge before. (1 can sweetened condensed milk, 3 cups chocolate chips-melt in heavy pan, turn into 9x9 wax paper lined pan, let cool, turn out and slice)
I've received those no bake pb chocolate oatmeal cookies.
Oreo Truffles are awesome and you can do so many variations on them. (never made them, just have eaten them)
I have also received the instant spiced Russian tea stuff and really enjoyed it. I don't drink coffee.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #18
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think I am going to make Puppy Chow for my neighbors and the teachers this year and put it in decorative bags.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:10 AM   #19
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by eguisgirl
I think I am going to make Puppy Chow for my neighbors and the teachers this year and put it in decorative bags.
Yum! I need to move near you!
Old 10-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #20
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by napua View Post
Yum! I need to move near you!
Wouldn't tht be fun?? . My nieghbor to the rightof me makes homemade caramels every year, too! I am so terrible and never share them with my family!!