Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #21
mamasab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Funny thing us that I take a completely different stance on this. Since I have no food allergies and worry much less about sanitary conditions for myself (as opposed to food being prepped for my kids), I would be fine with this! I would take the yummy goods and hoard them for myself.

Advertisement

mamasab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #22
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: The home-made thread got me thinking, So what about teachers and Christmas?

I went more by the parent than the student. Little Johnny might be a serious nose picker, but his mom, who made the treats, appears to be very sanitary and health conscious.

This made me LOL.

I think everyone is going to have a different level of comfort with homemade goodies. I will usually eat anything if I know who made it. Sometimes it's all in the presentation. If you gave me a tin of cookies and everything was all discombobulated in there or a paper plate with plastic wrap over it, it wouldn't look as appetizing as, say, wrapping up 3 cookies in a cello bag with a cute ribbon. Fancy presentation really goes a long way. For me, at least.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #23
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I baked things for ds teachers last year and they were very appreciative. I listed the ingredients in case anyone in their family had allergies.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #24
2boysmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I avoid the home baked things but that is more because I'm not great at it. I have been known to go all out with our favorite teachers (embroidered by me tote bag, gift card, candy-all as one gift) but then I decided to treat the teachers several times through out the year instead of all at once for Christmas. I started with a gift basket when we met them at the open house, it had smarties, tylenol, sharpies, tape, pens, tums, chapstick, and hand sanitizer. We always make little treat baskets in the fall with candy for halloween, then when it starts getting really cold we do cheap gloves (like dollar bin) a coffee mug and a box of hot chocolate, I like to hit on all the holidays with little gifts for them. We also do this for our mail lady. But, gift giving is my love language and for anyone that spends that much time investing in my kids I want them to know I appreciate them! (And the mail lady brings me fluffy mail so she gets treats too! )

I do agree with pp about the presentation of food, wrap it up cute and it seems cleaner!

In with Jesus for over 20 years!
2boysmama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #25
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

There's a difference between strangers baking for you children and a teacher accepting baked gift from parents who's contact info she has on file. Last year I baked cookies for both my daughter's JK teacher and her bus driver.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #26
mixed_chica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Keep 'em coming mamas!
Old 10-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #27
busyteacher
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
I am a former elementary school music teacher. I really enjoyed the homemade Christmas treats my students brought me. I went more by the parent than the student. Little Johnny might be a serious nose picker, but his mom, who made the treats, appears to be very sanitary and health conscious.
This. It sounds horrible, but if your child is always dirty (like coming from home) not gets dirty outside and if the parents are never clean either I will graciously accwpt the homemade treats, but I wont eat them. Parents who are cleanly and health concious, I will eat those right up.
busyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #28
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

I work in an elementary school in kindergarten and we totally eat it!
Now personally I have bought cute little Dollar Tree tins/holders and put the dry ingredients in there and then attached a cute little "recipe" card so they can finish it.

Like cupcakes, cakes, even soup mixes, etc.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #29
mixed_chica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyteacher View Post
This. It sounds horrible, but if your child is always dirty (like coming from home) not gets dirty outside and if the parents are never clean either I will graciously accwpt the homemade treats, but I wont eat them. Parents who are cleanly and health concious, I will eat those right up.
That makes sense!
Old 10-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #30
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

My daycare kids bring me home made treats, and usually mix in shiny christmas candy. I try to watch what I eat, so I always share them with the kids. But, I love getting them.

My neighbor makes sugar cookies and burns them just right so they are crispy on the edges, but soft in the middle.. I LOVE those things. I don't share those.

I also love getting a giant coffee mug with hot chocolate mix inside.