Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #31
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: The home-made thread got me thinking, So what about teachers and Christmas?

So many good ideas in this thread!

Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #32
mixed_chica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_just_me View Post
So many good ideas in this thread!
As far as the tissue holders go, I probably wouldn't buy them, but it would be great to receive them lol. I think it would be a great little present if I made a tissue cover with a few packs of tissue and some hand sanitizer, and somehow dressed it up. I really want to show them I really appreciate all that they do, but we are just so strapped for cash its not even funny.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #33
IndoorKitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Okay, I taught middle and high school (and I'm sort of a Grinch,) but I really hated getting gifts. I always felt guilty when parents who probably didn't have much to spare sent their child to school with a Santa mug or ornament that I would put directly into the donation box when I got home.

Food gifts were nice enough, and unless I suspected the kid spit on them I would eat them. However, I have a box under my guest bed witgh every kind note a kid has ever written me in it. The best gift I ever received from a parent was a faxed copy of a former 8th grader's freshman writing award with a cover sheet note from Mom thanking me for the job I did preparing her daughter for high school. Teachers hear a lot about how much teachers suck; it's truly a gift to learn that not everyone thinks so.

The remodel isn't going well.
IndoorKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #34
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndoorKitty View Post
Okay, I taught middle and high school (and I'm sort of a Grinch,) but I really hated getting gifts. I always felt guilty when parents who probably didn't have much to spare sent their child to school with a Santa mug or ornament that I would put directly into the donation box when I got home.

Food gifts were nice enough, and unless I suspected the kid spit on them I would eat them. However, I have a box under my guest bed witgh every kind note a kid has ever written me in it. The best gift I ever received from a parent was a faxed copy of a former 8th grader's freshman writing award with a cover sheet note from Mom thanking me for the job I did preparing her daughter for high school. Teachers hear a lot about how much teachers suck; it's truly a gift to learn that not everyone thinks so.
I must be weird because I adore those mugs and ornaments. I use the mugs all through the season [then pack them away and get them back out the next year for special hot chocolate times]. And I hang all the ornaments on our tree. I just love gifts in general though
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #35
Aubrey<3Gavin
Registered Users
seller

I was always psyched to get homemade goodies....from most kids. There were a few kids whose home situation didn't make so confident in eating their treats, so those I still made a fuss over, made it look like I ate a bite or two later in the ay, and promptly threw in the trash after school!

I really hate clutter and "stuff" just for the sake of having stuff, so mugs, ornaments, etc... I don't really like and usually got donated. But middle school teachers and high school teachers don't get the same kind of gift love elementary teachers get, so It really is the thought that counts.

ISO......BG 4.0 in aplix

I'm an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner! http://www.kingdomkonsultant.com
Aubrey<3Gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #36
3Xblessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it might be an age of the kiddo type thing as well. I teach high school and would never eat anything a student brought me.

A heart felt note from the kid/parent is worth a lot more and lasts a lot longer. I have a file in my desk with all the notes. They are helpful on rough days.