Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
FrenchTeacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Suggest a good tablet for almost 4 year old?

I have been thinking about getting a tablet for my younger son, who will be 4 in February. I was planning to load it with educational games for him. Does anyone have any suggestions? I cannot afford an iPad. I was thinking more along the lines of a less expensive Android tablet.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 10-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

My kids are 6 and 11 and they both have Samsung Galaxies. You can get the 7" SG plus a nice case for about $300. The 10" SG is about the same cost as an iPad. DH and I both have iPads that we love and can honestly say that their Samsung Galaxies are pretty equal!
Old 10-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

DP
Old 10-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
FrenchTeacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks! Open to any suggestions!
Old 10-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
FrenchTeacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Dp
Old 10-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
HookedByCarolyn
Registered Users
Formerly: shaneNspencersmommy
seller
seller

My Mood:
My mom is buying my boys (9 and 6) a Kurio Android childrens tablet for Christmas. I can't speak from experience yet, but the reviews are pretty good. Just make sure you get the extended warranty/buyers protection plan!
Old 10-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
FrenchTeacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookedByCarolyn
My mom is buying my boys (9 and 6) a Kurio Android childrens tablet for Christmas. I can't speak from experience yet, but the reviews are pretty good. Just make sure you get the extended warranty/buyers protection plan!
Approximately how much do they cost?

ETA just found that they run about 150 on Toys r Us website. More expensive other places.

Last edited by FrenchTeacher; 10-20-2012 at 02:55 PM.
FrenchTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
mekat
Registered Users

Re: Suggest a good tablet for almost 4 year old?

I don't think there is really a right answer to this since no one really knows your needs. You need to sit down and think about screen size, Android apps vs Ipad apps vs Kindle apps (not every app is available for every tablet type). Think about how they will use it; apps, internet, movies/TV, parental controls, e-books etc.... Especially ask yourself what are the must have apps and needs for the tablet.

My son has Ipad 2. We like it. I would have preferred something a little less rigid but my son had very specific needs and the Ipad was the only one in the market that could meet them. I found the best and safest deal (I won't buy from someone unless they have good reputation) was to buy a refurbished one directly from Apple.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
FrenchTeacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Well, an iPad is really out because of their price. I am mostly looking for something that can be used for playing educational games and apps. It would also be nice for him to be able to watch videos. My son is not even 4, so I would have complete control over what apps he's using and videos he's watching. He won't be surfing the internet with it. My older son has a Samsung tablet, but I can't see it holding up to my younger son's rough handling.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
mekat
Registered Users

Re: Suggest a good tablet for almost 4 year old?

Then you definitely need to look at accessories and find out if the tablet you choose has a robust case available or alternatively a mount available. Ironically that was one of the deciding factors on the Ipad for us was the sheer amount of accessories available. I specifically needed something that could be mounted to various places easily otherwise my son would be hurling it onto the floor. You will just have to see what is available in your price range that also has decent cases and/or mounts to protect it from getting broken.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote