Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:
What is a virgin?

Discussion with some mummy friends today... how would you explain what a virgin is if you did not feel your child (or you) was ready to discuss the actual act of sex?

Advertisement

Last edited by Geckmumto3; 10-21-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
OneFishTwoFish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What is a virgin?

I vividly remember asking my mother what a virgin was. I was in 5th grade and she was doing her make up in the bathroom. I probably took her completely off guard. But her response was, "A girl who's never been with a man." I don't remember asking for more, so I guess it satisfied me at that point.

I don't know what I would tell a child....I guess if they weren't old enough to discuss the act of sex, then I would wonder why they were asking. (Assuming it was asked anyway) Typically, when I don't think they're old enough for the real answer, I will ask them what they think the answer is. Often they are looking for a simple response anyway.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
The truth.

Then i would answer the questions that follow with the truth. Young kids take that stuff so well. I feel that if the child is old enough to ask then they deserve a proper answer.

Last edited by ktmelody; 10-21-2012 at 06:17 PM.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

I would probably just keep it short and say a virgin is someone who is pure and innocent, like a young girl or boy who hasn't seen or done bad things. I'd probably also change the subject to alcohol, since most kids have at least seen beer or wine, and I'd be okay using that as an example in the hopes it's too confusing for them to think they could go applying the word to friends or adults tomorrow.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

The child (9) in question asked because the word "virgin" was mentioned in a movie she was watching (Hocus Pocus, about witches, and a "virgin" has to light a candle). No sex chats have gone on at all, and the parents were not comfortable diving right in. In reality, it went unanswered, for now, and the mom was seeking advice how to go from there. I felt that the truth was ok, but another mom there disagreed, but didn't know what she would say.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn.mcc View Post
I would probably just keep it short and say a virgin is someone who is pure and innocent, like a young girl or boy who hasn't seen or done bad things. I'd probably also change the subject to alcohol, since most kids have at least seen beer or wine, and I'd be okay using that as an example in the hopes it's too confusing for them to think they could go applying the word to friends or adults tomorrow.
I did wonder about saying something about purity. My DH's snap answer was "Someone who hasn't kissed someone outside of their family." I laughed because kissing happens a lot in certain groups of little friends, and I can just see kids running around saying, "I'm not a virgin anymore!!" My worry is always misuse because of misunderstanding, and then someone else overhears and misunderstands.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would tell the truth. Simply put, a virgin is someone who has never had sex before. If more questions stemmed from that, then I would answer those also with the truth. A 9 year old is old enough to hear and understand that stuff, IMO. We started with that stuff MUCH younger than that, and it has never been a big issue for us.

ETA - At 9, DS already knew what sex was. If he asked at that age what a virgin was, and we told him, the extent of his response would be "Oh" then he would move on and we would not have to go into further detail.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.

Last edited by somo_chickenlady; 10-21-2012 at 06:42 PM.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by somo_chickenlady View Post
I would tell the truth. Simply put, a virgin is someone who has never had sex before. If more questions stemmed from that, then I would answer those also with the truth. A 9 year old is old enough to hear and understand that stuff, IMO. We started with that stuff MUCH younger than that, and it has never been a big issue for us.
This exactly.

I was expecting to hear that she had heard it in the context of the virgin Mary.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
WilliamsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3 View Post
The child (9) in question asked because the word "virgin" was mentioned in a movie she was watching (Hocus Pocus, about witches, and a "virgin" has to light a candle).

i was just going to guess that this was the reason!!!
Luke 9/26/13
WilliamsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

9 is in my opinion waiting rather long to tell kids about sex. By that age kids in school will begin telling each other silly stories. I think only 2 years older I overheard boys discussing how you could tell by the way a girl walked if she was a virgin. In 6th grade I was informed by a schoolmate how to tell how big a boy was by the way his pants looked. For certain they had already been discussing these things for a while by then. So between 9-11 years of age such discussions in school start becoming more common among the kids. If the parents don't explain things to the child someone else will.

Last edited by qsefthuko; 10-21-2012 at 07:27 PM.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote