Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: How has your actual parenting style changed?

We only have one so far, so I'm quite sure we're not finished with changes to our parenting style!
I was adamantly anti-TV. DD (21 mos) watches Mickey Mouse Club in the mornings so DH can shower without screaming, and once a week or so I just turn on Sprout for five. freaking. minutes. of peace so that I can make a semi-nutritious dinner.
Semi-nutritious dinner, in this house at this juncture of life, means scrambled eggs, peas, and graham crackers. At least once a week.
I bribe my child (with orange segments) to do or eat things that she doesn't wanna.
Oh, and DD gets watered down juice a couple times a week. She's still alive, too, which is not something I was convinced of before she was born

+ + +
DottieHarley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #12
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
My Mood:

It changed from trying to live under labels no matter what cost to my own sanity, my marriage and my family. And preaching those labels as the one and only way. Once I let go and just did what worked best for each individual child and didn't worry about everyone else things became much smoother.
And it opened the door to more friendships because I saw that there is no right way.
Terra: Independent woman, wife to Eric , mother to David & Aaron
Deeply spiritual, follower of Christ, connnected to my Native American spiritual roots. Over-thinker on life!
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

So far I'm doing things pretty much how I planned but I have a feeling that will change with more children. I still breastfeed, co sleep, can't afford a stroller so I have to babywear... The one thing I do that I feel kind of bad about is I have the tv on more than i had planned. We just have it on for background noise all the time and DS gets distracted. I'm pretty good about keeping him entertained with other things but honestly sometimes Its nice to not have to worry about him going anywhere while I use the bathroom or make lunch.
Hilary, loving Charles, mama to Charlie 1-21-12 on the way in December!
Sweet Bunny Upcycled woolies available on Etsy!
And my vintage shop!
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y

I have kind of just always followed my gut with each kid, and done whatever I felt was right or needed at the time. But I used to be much more aware and concerned about what others thought of my abilities/habits as a mom. I would be very upset over diaperswappers mamas who commented negatively on some parenting thing I was doing. Or if my mom raised an eyebrow or questioned something, it would make me question everything I was doing.

Now, I actually couldn't care less what others think about my parenting skills. We do whatever works. And that is different for each of our kids, and it can vary from scenario to scenario. I just do what works for us and what WE think is right. And I am totally fine now if someone else thinks I'm doing it all wrong. Now I have a 5 yr old and I can see the results of my parenting skills. I've definitely made mistakes, but overall, I'm a GREAT mom.

I think I've gained a lot of confidence in myself as a mother as I've watched my oldest one grow and have seen how I've affected her. I can admit my mistakes and move past them, I know I will never be perfect, I know some people will always think I do certain things wrong, and that is totally ok.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #15
Registered Users
My Mood:

i never thought i would bf beyond 24 months but here i am nursing my 33 month old. i also never planned on not vaxing

pretty much everything else is the same.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 17, Seth 10, Pandora Moonlilly 6 and Nevermore Stargazer 3, married to my awesome sahd artist husband of 7 years
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #16
Registered Users
My Mood:

I was going to be a really fun mom, and I've turned out much stricter than I thought. Other than that I can't think of any glaring differences. I didn't want to cosleep full time, and we haven't with any of the three, though with each one she spends more time in our bed than before. There were lots of things that I hadn't thought abouat all that I ended up adopting, but I dont't feel that was much a 'change' since I wasn't against them to begin with - it was more about education. Baby wearing and CDing, mainly.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #17
Registered Users

I am actually a nicer mom than I thought I would be LOL I was never a "by the book" parent or anything like that....but I do think my kids have taught me how to have fun and enjoy life and love others, something I didnt really know how to do before they were born. As far as actual parenting, I run a pretty tight ship and that is how I always thought I would be. We try to find a balance with meeting needs in a variety of ways and parenting to the individual child without driving ourselves crazy or forfeiting our marriage.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote