Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can you help me find an agnecy that will ...... UPDATE MORE HELP PLEASE

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13 View Post
This sounds so frustrating! I hope you get somewhere with your foster care worker.
It is but this is farther than we got last time we were interested in an out of state child so maybe if we keep pushing through we will get somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldorf and ragamuffins View Post
sending thoughts and prayers your way in hopes you get everything sorted out and stress free as possible!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskira View Post
Are you in contact with A Family For Every Child? They were very helpful when I was talking with them. I've exchanged many emails with Christy, who is the director of the agency. She's very passionate about getting kids adopted.

Eta: it can be hard to adopt kids in Oregon. There are huge lists of kids but the state doesn't work hard to get them adopted and sometimes refuses because they are afraid the parents won't stick it through with the kids. they also aren't very on top of going through with tpr, even when kids have been in the system for years.
I did and they said to just keep working with our foster care worker to get a home study done. I can't wait to hear back from him Monday!

That is so sad that they don't try harder for these kids. This little boy has so many needs, as do many children they have listed. You would think they would be elated to have interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by britsuz90 View Post
misskira it right about Oregon. We had a sibling group selected, they assigned us a worker and so we thought that we were going to get them. Then they asked us for a photobook for the committee to look at and then use as a transition tool. Well, Oregon selects a couple of options for the kids, then looks through the book and the home studies and picks a family and a back up family. We felt like we were very led along, we were selected as the back up family, but never heard from them again. We were sad, but got a healthy newborn through out state a few weeks later-- maybe the process kept us on the SW's mind and that is why we got DS.
How many people generally apply for these children? Are these not children who are hard to place? It will hurt to not get this child. I keep getting my hopes up and than reminding myself there is a LONG LONG LONG ways to go before I should do that BUT there are other children out there and we are just glad to be finding an agency that may be able to help up adopt out of state even if this child is no longer available. Once our home study is done we will be able to do more the next time we find a child that fits our family. The foster care instructor we have deals with special needs adoptions only but if this doesn't work out he may know of a child that fits our family also since he knows them more. He spends a lot of time with the kids.

Right now I am trying to read up on the interstate laws. That is what the SW asked me to do. I also want to find out about medicaid in MI and how all that would work for him.

Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
waldorf and ragamuffins
Registered Users

I have no advice, but offer my online hugs and prayers your way that everything works out!

Blessings,
xoxo,
Samantha
waldorf and ragamuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #13
Robin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe this site will help:
http://www.adoptuskids.org/for-famil...re-information
Also, I do know this little tidbit: If the child is adopted from another state, but is eligible for medicaid, he/she will get medicaid in the state you live in, but the state they are from will pay for it. So, OR would pay for his/her MI medicaid.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:26 AM   #14
anne_josh
Registered Users
seller

How's it going? We have been looking at OR as well (it's the state next to us). I hope you've gotten some answers..
anne_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #15
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Things are going slow. Our home study is still 45 days from being done. We can't inquire on the child until it is done. I do know Oregon takes in a untold amount of studies. Than they review all of them and choose the best family for that child.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #16
stargazer44
Registered Users

The stories about Oregon are true. And sadly Washington is even worse.

Have you contacted DCFS in your state? They have an adoption department. That is what we do in our state. I have a friend who just got an out of state placement, and went through our state's DCFS adoption unit. If anything, maybe they can tell you what to do.
stargazer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:54 AM   #17
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer44 View Post
The stories about Oregon are true. And sadly Washington is even worse.

Have you contacted DCFS in your state? They have an adoption department. That is what we do in our state. I have a friend who just got an out of state placement, and went through our state's DCFS adoption unit. If anything, maybe they can tell you what to do.
In our state they only want your social worker to contact them. It is a long story but to try and catch this up I contacted nearly every agency in the state and the only outside contacts I knew. After much stress and many closed doors I found two agencies in my state that do not either strongly discourage out of state adoption or flat out refuse to do them.

We went to two orientations and we have finally found a program that is not pushing older children than we feel we can handle and they are very kind and compassionate to why we need to stay within certain parameters.

We are going to stay with our current agency until our home study is done. We will try to get them to inquire on the Oregon child but if they refuse we will switch to the agency that is understanding of our needs. I just feel like after the work our agency put in we should try to work with them and it would be faster for them to inquire. If we transfer we will have to wait for that process too.

Our home study is approximately three weeks from being done. I can't wait for this part to be done.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #18
kkmoto
Registered Users
seller

Is he still on the site? The one I have always thought you were talking about is no longer listed- so I hope it is a different one!
Old 12-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #19
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Yes he is It is going to be heartbreaking if he is gone now that we are so close. I know it is still a long shot but I at least want to be considered. I have to say this process is so hard. You try not to fall in love with a photo.... but its easier said than done! I know even if it dosen't work out with one child there is a child that we can be a good family for.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #20
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

I know this is probably little comfort if like you said you have fallen in love, but there are so many really super awesome kids out there. A bazillion. We went to a foster care function last night and I was blown away by how many cool kids there were there. Obviously who knows what goes on at home but the way families as well as strangers were interacting and helping each other was really heart warming. So much potential! I guess thats my "many fish in the sea" speech for you just in case! Good luck!