Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
DS is still awake!

Bedtime is becoming frustrating! DS went down at 7 for about a half hour..then woke up for an hour. I put him down again at 8:30...he took 45 minutes to fall asleep and then woke up as soon as I left the room. I tried to put him back to sleep and gave up so he's playing on the floor. Some nights he goes to sleep perfectly...he usually wakes up a couple times and I nurse him back to sleep but it's not a long drawn out thing. Other nights he's up every half hour if I'm lucky or he takes forever to get to sleep! If this b/c of separation anxiety? He IS capable of putting himself back to sleep. I've seen him do it plenty of times. I still mostly breastfeed so I wonder if he's hungry and I need to up his solids. i just don't know what's going on. He just mastered crawling but I always thought that they have sleep disturbances right before mastering a new skill not after. I won't do any sort of CIO or sleep training. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
neuro_mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: DS is still awake!

I'm glad to see I'm not alone on this one. Our lo's are only a week apart in age and mine is staying up every night until 11 - 11:30 - and tonight 12:20 a.m. I'll check to see what the other mamas suggest because I need help too!
Old 10-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
earthflower
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I used to read my boys some books and then Sit on the floor w/ an ipod or ereader, phone ect.. and listen to music, read or whatnot until they fell asleep.
earthflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuro_mom View Post
I'm glad to see I'm not alone on this one. Our lo's are only a week apart in age and mine is staying up every night until 11 - 11:30 - and tonight 12:20 a.m. I'll check to see what the other mamas suggest because I need help too!
oh wow! I bet you are exhausted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthflower View Post
I used to read my boys some books and then Sit on the floor w/ an ipod or ereader, phone ect.. and listen to music, read or whatnot until they fell asleep.
I definitely need to get into a routine. The next week is going to be crazy b/c we have family visiting so I won't try to change much but after that I'll have to work on getting a good routine. I need to get his naps more set too..they are all over the place!
Old 10-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

I still struggle with naps and bedtime for dd1, she's 20 months old.
How old is your LO? Is it possible he is napping too much or too late?
Or maybe even not enough!
Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:20 AM   #6
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

I used to recite books to dd1 while she nursed to sleep and it helped a lot. No advice for keeping them asleep though.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:44 AM   #7
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mine is now 18 months old, and she's gone through many ups and downs with sleep. Whenever I think we're set we go back to some horrible waking up a lot thing. It's frustrating because I know she's tired and I know she doesn't need anything. DH will sometimes get her a sippy cup of milk. She calms right down and hugs it but doesn't drink it.

I think the most important thing for my baby is getting enough sleep. The more sleep she gets during the day the better she does at night. It seems counter-intuitive, but when she's overtired she'll fight sleep and wake up often.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:52 AM   #8
neuro_mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterisntsomething View Post
oh wow! I bet you are exhausted!

I definitely need to get into a routine. The next week is going to be crazy b/c we have family visiting so I won't try to change much but after that I'll have to work on getting a good routine. I need to get his naps more set too..they are all over the place!
Something was up w/ my lo last night as he vomited around 1:00 a.m. Weird, because he never throws up so I'm wondering if he has a bug. Of course, since he lost all his food, he was hungry and had to nurse again. Finally went to sleep around 2:30 a.m. Had 7 a.m. feeding and is sound asleep right now. I am exhausted. Like you, I think I need to get him into a regular routine. He naps during the day but I'm wondering if he naps too much and then doesn't want to sleep at night. Other mamas, how long and how often should a nine month old nap during the day? Thanks!
Old 10-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #9
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
At 9 mos DD was napping 1.5-2 hours in the AM and 1.5-2 hours in the afternoon, sleeping maybe 11-12 hours at night. But we have had many ups and downs with sleeping, currently in some kind of awful transition period.
We left the boppy in DDs room (she is 21 mo) and DH and I use it when DD really seems to need us to stay til she is asleep. It just makes laying on the floor much more comfortable. Often we actually fall asleep too - last night I spent 1.5 hours sleeping on DDs floor. Twice.
I know its not an option for everyone but DH and I alternate nights and this lets everyone get the most sleep.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #10
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara'sMommy View Post
I still struggle with naps and bedtime for dd1, she's 20 months old.
How old is your LO? Is it possible he is napping too much or too late?
Or maybe even not enough!
He's 9 months. I definitely think his erratic naps are part of it. He wakes up easily and usually only naps for like 30 minutes. Sometimes I can get him back to sleep and on occasion he'll take a really long one. It's just everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspopo View Post
Mine is now 18 months old, and she's gone through many ups and downs with sleep. Whenever I think we're set we go back to some horrible waking up a lot thing. It's frustrating because I know she's tired and I know she doesn't need anything. DH will sometimes get her a sippy cup of milk. She calms right down and hugs it but doesn't drink it.

I think the most important thing for my baby is getting enough sleep. The more sleep she gets during the day the better she does at night. It seems counter-intuitive, but when she's overtired she'll fight sleep and wake up often.
Yes, I've noticed when he goes to bed earlier he sleeps in longer in the morning. I think I just need to play around with his naps and try to find the right balance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuro_mom View Post
Something was up w/ my lo last night as he vomited around 1:00 a.m. Weird, because he never throws up so I'm wondering if he has a bug. Of course, since he lost all his food, he was hungry and had to nurse again. Finally went to sleep around 2:30 a.m. Had 7 a.m. feeding and is sound asleep right now. I am exhausted. Like you, I think I need to get him into a regular routine. He naps during the day but I'm wondering if he naps too much and then doesn't want to sleep at night. Other mamas, how long and how often should a nine month old nap during the day? Thanks!
That sucks mama! What time does he usually wake up in the morning when he stays up so late? DS went to bed at 11 last night and woke up around 8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DottieHarley View Post
At 9 mos DD was napping 1.5-2 hours in the AM and 1.5-2 hours in the afternoon, sleeping maybe 11-12 hours at night. But we have had many ups and downs with sleeping, currently in some kind of awful transition period.
We left the boppy in DDs room (she is 21 mo) and DH and I use it when DD really seems to need us to stay til she is asleep. It just makes laying on the floor much more comfortable. Often we actually fall asleep too - last night I spent 1.5 hours sleeping on DDs floor. Twice.
I know its not an option for everyone but DH and I alternate nights and this lets everyone get the most sleep.
I need to get him into a more consistent nap schedule. DS nurses to sleep so that pretty much leaves it up to me. If SO tries to put him to sleep he just cries.