Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: DS is still awake!

I agree with you on the routine - they really do need that. It helps them know what's coming so they don't fight it so much.

Also, there is a 9month sleep regression. Generally related to things like learning to crawl, but that doesn't mean that it'll end the moment that they learn the new skill - sometimes it depends on if they've developed any new 'bad' habits during that regression time.

Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #12
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
I agree with you on the routine - they really do need that. It helps them know what's coming so they don't fight it so much.

Also, there is a 9month sleep regression. Generally related to things like learning to crawl, but that doesn't mean that it'll end the moment that they learn the new skill - sometimes it depends on if they've developed any new 'bad' habits during that regression time.
Thanks. He literally just turned 9 months and I messed his schedule up by going to a halloween party.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #13
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Sleep was a nightmare for us around that time too. I don't have any advice to give, other than it did get better after a week or two. Hope your LO is sleeping well soon!
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #14
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange

9 month sleep regression almost killed me, I swear. It was pure misery for about 6 weeks, maybe more. With our DS it was a combination of sleep regression/learning to crawl and having multiple teeth come in simultaneously.

We took it one miserable day at a time and tried to stay on a routine and one day he just decided that was groovy and went back to sleeping 11-12 hours at night and 3-5 hours during the day. Crazy kid.

I don't think there's anything we could've done to change his sleeping patterns. At that point he was still EBF with no interest in solids and trying to feed him a larger solid dinner just made him stay up later (since it upset his tummy).

This, too, shall pass. And one day you will have a kid that sleeps all night and takes an awesome nap during the day. He transitioned to one nap over the past couple months and now he sleeps ~11 hours at night and from 11-2:30 or later during the day. I never thought our DS would nap like this because he was just like your LO sounds... But lo and behold... his sleep got better. Yours will, too!
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #15
neuro_mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterisntsomething View Post
That sucks mama! What time does he usually wake up in the morning when he stays up so late? DS went to bed at 11 last night and woke up around 8.
He usually wakes up around 6 or 7 for his first a.m. feeding. He goes back to sleep and wakes up again around 9 or 10 for his next feeding. Then, he's wide awake until late morning or early afternoon when he crashes for a nap. Tonight was better. He went to sleep after his last nursing at 11 p.m. He's never slept more than 6 or 7 hours at a time w/ bf'ing. It's a little better now that he's getting some solids.

I'll have to look up this "sleep regression" thing. I had never heard of it but it gives me some hope that things can get better.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:57 PM   #16
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyH View Post

I don't think there's anything we could've done to change his sleeping patterns. At that point he was still EBF with no interest in solids and trying to feed him a larger solid dinner just made him stay up later (since it upset his tummy).
This totally. He barely eats solids and when I have tried to give him some right before bed he gets gas.

Well today he took a really short morning nap and the would not take a nap. He finally crashed at like 5:30 for a half hour and then was up until 9:30 when I finally got him to sleep. Thankfully I have family visiting for a week anyways so it's not a big deal.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:33 AM   #17
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yes on "sleep begets sleep". If he's not getting good naps, he probably won't sleep well at night. My DD was totally the same way. She had to nurse to sleep or have motion to sleep for a LONG time. Then we laid with her until she fell asleep. Then we laid on the floor while she fell asleep. It was a long progression, but now at 2.5 she is a completely independent sleeper (and has been for about a year or so). We do books, a song, turn on her twilight turtle, then say I love you and she goes to sleep. So there is a light at the end of the tunnel!!!

ETA - For more info on sleep regressions, google "Ask Moxie" and "sleep regressions". She has great info on sleep regressions on her page! Also lots of answers to questions from other mamas that I found helpful while in my sleep deprived state.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012

Last edited by Alaga; 10-25-2012 at 06:37 AM.
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:25 AM   #18
neuro_mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ds didn't go to sleep tonight until 2:00 a.m. Ugghh! I'm googling "Ask Moxie" right now. Thanks for the info!

I just read the "Ask Moxie" article and it looks like I'm in for a long ride. LO slept horribly from 0-3 months and I didn't even notice the sleep regression at 4 months because 0-3 were so bad. Tonight, I do really feel like an incompetent mom. I tried nursing, rocking, singing, reading, putting lo in crib (to which he screamed hysterically), tylenol (wondered if it was teething), more rocking, letting him play on the floor of his room. When I realized he was having a ball playing and had no intent of going to sleep, tried putting him in his crib again to which he screamed hysterically again (shut the door and walked out at 1:45 a.m. since reading suggested to let him cry self to sleep). When that didn't work, woke up dh who tried consoling lo who at that point was no longer consolable. Uggh! I feel terrible. Tried nursing again and finally lo went to sleep. According to "Ask Moxie", I could have a couple of months of this

Last edited by neuro_mom; 10-26-2012 at 12:36 AM.
neuro_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #19
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Don't feel like a bad mommy. Everyone has nights like this. Hopefully last night will be the worst it will get. I know it's SUPER hard right now, but I assure you, he will sleep at some point. I actually kind of miss long nights with my DD now that she's an independent toddler running around everywhere. Not that that helps you now, but just want you to know there is light at the end of the tunnel!!

Oh, and if you want more reading "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley has some good info too.

Really, I don't know what finally made my DD sleep. I think it was just time & she had to just get to some milestone before it clicked. I wish I had the magic solution for you b/c I know how excruciatingly hard this can be!! Hang in there mama!!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #20
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

DD1 is still a horrible sleeper, the main issue is just getting her to calm down and fall asleep. Around 9 months old we would lay in bed with all the lights off, after our normal bedtime routine, and just let her go at it. We had a mattress on the floor so as long as she didnt get off the mattress i just let her do her thing. It would take hours some nights but in a totaly dark room there isnt much to do really. Eventually she fell asleep. good luck, it will get easier then harder the easier then harder.... atleast thats how it did for me!
Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote