Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #21
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I forgot I hate 3yo's!!! VENT!

He sounds a lot my DS1, who just turned 3. Some things you might want to try that work well for us, if you haven't already.

Instead of asking 300x, make him look you in the eyes, and say it firmly one time. If he doesn't comply, then I'd take away a privelidge or timeout, or whatever seems to work best for him.

Don't let him get a rise out of you. I know my DS continues the tantrum or behavior if he sees it is upsetting me. Stay firm, but hold your ground. Don't let it visibly bother you. I know with my DS, it does give him some satisfaction seeing me frazzled when he's tantruming.

In any scenario where you know a tantrum might break out (like naptime, if he doesn't want to lay down) give him fair warning. I start warning DS about 10 minutes before something happens so he's not blindsides or surprised: "We need to brush your teeth soon. You can finish your game then we need to brush."

Routine, if possible. My DS is less likely to tantrum if something happens the same time and same way every day.

It's tough.

Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #22
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew&West View Post
So how do I keep it? Like:
breakfast- frosted flakes, whole milk
Lunch: etc etc.

Like this?
You'll need to keep track of ingredients. Frosted flakes, for example, contain some sort of sugar, but also corn, preservatives, and other things.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #23
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew&West View Post
Not sure what you mean by play with them in certain ways?? He plays with toys ok I think?! He "zooms" trucks and cars, however he does put alot of things go in his mouth! He does tend to like to break toys. :/ He likes to bash the trains, etc. but he knows to "put the baby to bed" or how to feed it. He just doesn't have an attention span to sit very long with any one thing. Lol
You are so not alone. This was my first son although in a few different ways. Listen to your gut. If you feel something is up please make an appointment with your pediatrician.

I noticed things beginning at 7ish months with my son. He'll be 6 in two weeks and has ASD/SPD/ADHD/ODD. I did the diet and all that, it helped some, but to be honest, finally several years later, his meds help with a portion of it and makes life easier now.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #24
need some diaps!
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
He sounds a lot my DS1, who just turned 3. Some things you might want to try that work well for us, if you haven't already.

Instead of asking 300x, make him look you in the eyes, and say it firmly one time. If he doesn't comply, then I'd take away a privelidge or timeout, or whatever seems to work best for him.

Don't let him get a rise out of you. I know my DS continues the tantrum or behavior if he sees it is upsetting me. Stay firm, but hold your ground. Don't let it visibly bother you. I know with my DS, it does give him some satisfaction seeing me frazzled when he's tantruming.

In any scenario where you know a tantrum might break out (like naptime, if he doesn't want to lay down) give him fair warning. I start warning DS about 10 minutes before something happens so he's not blindsides or surprised: "We need to brush your teeth soon. You can finish your game then we need to brush."

Routine, if possible. My DS is less likely to tantrum if something happens the same time and same way every day.

It's tough.
Oh that is a great one about not asking over and over!! I can second the warnings. Give those little minds time to take it in...I do this but haven't gotten DH to remember and every time he gets a rise out of her. I do think timing and consistency are super important!!
need some diaps! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #25
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is my 2.5 yo as well, her birthday is January. She's a little terror and we actually call her 'the terminator' because she just doesn't go to sleep very easily at all. Then she wakes up all night wanting to come into my bed. Which would be ok if she would actually sleep. But she kicks me and tries to nurse every half hour and it's not comfortable.

Lately what has been working is threatening to remove a toy at night. She likes to sleep with 2-3 toys so I am making her lie quietly without me in there, and if there is noise, screaming etc I go in and take something away. I give one warning. I am sick of having to sit there waiting for her to sleep, i don't have that kind of time. I am happy to spend 20 mins or so per child in bedtime routine, back patting, singing etc, but that is my limit.

But like you, nothing really works consistently. After a couple of weeks or so the punishment stops being effective. She can be really sweet as well, but she is a screamer. Loves to scream and yell and whine, and that drives me nuts. I can't actually sit and hold her without her hands going down my shirt and she is very very demanding. I hate it. She tantrums, she screams.... arrrgghh.

I am just hoping it is a phase and we can ride it out without too much permanent damage to anybody.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #26
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor

You'll need to keep track of ingredients. Frosted flakes, for example, contain some sort of sugar, but also corn, preservatives, and other things.
Oh! That detailed huh. :/ well ill definitely do it, I think it's a big contributor.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #27
Crew&West
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebee
This is my 2.5 yo as well, her birthday is January. She's a little terror and we actually call her 'the terminator' because she just doesn't go to sleep very easily at all. Then she wakes up all night wanting to come into my bed. Which would be ok if she would actually sleep. But she kicks me and tries to nurse every half hour and it's not comfortable.

Lately what has been working is threatening to remove a toy at night. She likes to sleep with 2-3 toys so I am making her lie quietly without me in there, and if there is noise, screaming etc I go in and take something away. I give one warning. I am sick of having to sit there waiting for her to sleep, i don't have that kind of time. I am happy to spend 20 mins or so per child in bedtime routine, back patting, singing etc, but that is my limit.

But like you, nothing really works consistently. After a couple of weeks or so the punishment stops being effective. She can be really sweet as well, but she is a screamer. Loves to scream and yell and whine, and that drives me nuts. I can't actually sit and hold her without her hands going down my shirt and she is very very demanding. I hate it. She tantrums, she screams.... arrrgghh.

I am just hoping it is a phase and we can ride it out without too much permanent damage to anybody.
Hmmm that sounds familiar. In fact we had the argument of not taking all 70 toys to bed. Lol! Glad to know I'm not alone on that one! He sleeps good until about 1-2am and then it's in my bed. Which,like you, would be fine but he kicks and moves and squirms. He doesn't sleep!

And yes he's a screamer too!
Old 10-28-2012, 04:43 AM   #28
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

my 2 1/2 yr old will be the death of me. 'nuff said.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:56 AM   #29
melfinn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS will be 3 in January. He went/goes through stuff like this periodically. We always lay with him at naptime and bedtime. He needs/likes us there at those times. We consider this part of the "job". I think a lot of our problems have to do with communication, he has just started with 3 to 6 word sentences and expressing himself to us so we understand. When we are butting heads, I stop, evaluate the situation, either console him or tell him ok whatever you want. Depending on whats going on. Usually when I say "ok, you don't have to" he wants to do whatever I had just asked. And sometimes he is just having a hard time and I have to understand.

DS doesn't do timeouts, he doesn't care about losing toys and we would never spank him for a behavioral infraction or anything at all really.

I find that DS acts out more when DH and I are stressed or not paying attention to him. He has always been a needy baby (like your DS) I have learned to accept that and do what I have to do. Now most the time DS is truly and angel! If you had asked me months ago when I was still babysitting I would still have been pulling my hair out in frustration over his behavior. I realized he did not like being away from home for 12 to 14 hrs a day. He was ready to go home after about 8 hrs and I had to accept that and find something else to do to earn money. It really has been a learning process for me and DH.

I do hope you find something that works, this is a wonderful age and a time to enjoy. I can't stress enough the importance of having your needs met to feel happy in life and hope that it is picked up by your DS. I really think that when mama is happy everyone is happy!

ETA: DS also kicks me, we co-sleep and I have gotten used to him sticking his feet between my legs or against my back. Actually have bad back pain and his little feet feel great kicking my sore back! He also sticks his butt up in the air! just like I did as a kids. Rolls his pretty little head around so much that every morn we wake to a snarl head of hair

Last edited by melfinn; 10-28-2012 at 04:59 AM.
melfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #30
Crew&West
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisyma
my 2 1/2 yr old will be the death of me. 'nuff said.
Hahaha!