Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #31
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
Originally Posted by melfinn
My DS will be 3 in January. He went/goes through stuff like this periodically. We always lay with him at naptime and bedtime. He needs/likes us there at those times. We consider this part of the "job". I think a lot of our problems have to do with communication, he has just started with 3 to 6 word sentences and expressing himself to us so we understand. When we are butting heads, I stop, evaluate the situation, either console him or tell him ok whatever you want. Depending on whats going on. Usually when I say "ok, you don't have to" he wants to do whatever I had just asked. And sometimes he is just having a hard time and I have to understand.

DS doesn't do timeouts, he doesn't care about losing toys and we would never spank him for a behavioral infraction or anything at all really.

I find that DS acts out more when DH and I are stressed or not paying attention to him. He has always been a needy baby (like your DS) I have learned to accept that and do what I have to do. Now most the time DS is truly and angel! If you had asked me months ago when I was still babysitting I would still have been pulling my hair out in frustration over his behavior. I realized he did not like being away from home for 12 to 14 hrs a day. He was ready to go home after about 8 hrs and I had to accept that and find something else to do to earn money. It really has been a learning process for me and DH.

I do hope you find something that works, this is a wonderful age and a time to enjoy. I can't stress enough the importance of having your needs met to feel happy in life and hope that it is picked up by your DS. I really think that when mama is happy everyone is happy!

ETA: DS also kicks me, we co-sleep and I have gotten used to him sticking his feet between my legs or against my back. Actually have bad back pain and his little feet feel great kicking my sore back! He also sticks his butt up in the air! just like I did as a kids. Rolls his pretty little head around so much that every morn we wake to a snarl head of hair
This is him exactly!! Thanks mama

Laurie. Mother of 2 crazy boys! Wife of 1 crazy husband! Pink Papaya Consultant! Natural home spa and beauty products you'll love!
Crew&West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #32
Registered Users
Re: I forgot I hate 3yo's!!! VENT!

For us with dd, 3 was the most difficult age. She would throw temper tantrums, was restless, couldn't sit still for a minute. I was getting comcerned with her emotional state and with what would be comsidered mormal. She was always needy, even as a newborn. When my son came along he was so easy compared to her. Now she is 4.5 and I can say that she has gotten sooooooo much easier. She still has occasional meltdowns but she can handle sitting down amd writing letters, listening to a story, and is just so much calmer than she was. I hope that turns out to be the case for you too.
Alyssa, homeschooling mommy to
Lilly 1/08, Oliver 3/11, and Mollie 2/13

Join me on Swagbucks.
Spicymustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #33
Registered Users
My Mood:
I remember when my son turned 3 he was a nightmare! Just as you described and always so defiant. It took about 6 months, but he got better over time. Hang in there!
Christine , married to M , mother to 4yo DS J and 2yo DD E !
Visit for thorough book reviews of young adult books
Visit my blog Why We Love Green to read about saving money while saving the earth! (Plus Reviews & Giveaways!)
Marbie is offline   Reply With Quote