Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
katymf
Registered Users
seller

Met with doc about VBAC yesterday..long story!

we met with a doctor yesterday to dicsuss our options for vbac or repeat c-section ().
ever since i had DS in may of 2011, i have known i wanted a vbac. a vaginal birth seems so magical and amazing. i'm sure any women who has gone through a c/s dreams and hopes of a vaginal birth.
DS came out at a whopping 10lbs, 13oz and almost 23in long. i made it to 7 1/2 cent. with him then he just wouldnt budge (wonder why??)
i was overweight while pregnant with him, i gained 80lbs and weighed 200lbs at my last weigh in before giving birth to him.
now, being 25 weeks pregnant with DD, i am cautiously watching my weight. we went over my weight gain yesterday while meeting with the doctor and i have gained 6lbs total throughout this pregnancy so far which was awsome news to hear.
we discussed the pros and cons of vbac and repeat c/s. OF COURSE the pros of repeat c-section outweigh that of a vbac. of course.
i have done alot, ALOT of research on vbacs so i already knew what the risks were and blah blah. but when she was telling me about the risks, it made it seem so much real. like there is a 50/50 chance of uterine rupture? or 1 in a 100. something like that. but higher then i guess i had thought. that can then lead to brain damage of the baby (which i didnt know) and other serious complications for baby. i just thought if you had a uterine rupture they perform emergency c-section, get the baby out and all is good. not as simple as i thought, i guess.
for me though, c-section and vbac risks go hand in hand. it is not one sided, like "hey, vbac's are defenitly safer then repeat c-sections." they both have risks but then they both don't have risks. one isn't safer then the other is what i'm trying to say.
the doctor told me the only way i would be able to have a vbac was if i went into spontaneous labor on my own before or on our due date , and if DD doesn't seem to be a 9 or 10lb baby (they will check her weight either through u/s or feeling of the belly once we are closer to our due date. plus, i'm sure i will have a sneaking suspicion if i am carrying around another 11lb baby!)
now, DS was 10 days overdue.
we are hoping and praying that little DD will hopefully not be overdue. so unless one of those 2 things happen, then i can't vbac. if i go one day over my due date we will have to schedule a repeat c-section.
we are just hoping that all goes smoothly, we go into labor on our own, have a fast and safe labor and DD is born vbac.

Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
ayer79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Vbac's are totally worth it. Those complications are rare. I had 2 vbacs. The first was 1lb 1oz bigger than my c-section baby. The last vbac was 1lb 6oz bigger. I went to 41 weeks with the first vbac. Do NOT make them force you into a c-section if overdue. I had fetal monitoring daily. My doc said 41 and 1 and we'd do a c-section. Thankfully my water broke at 41. Good luck!
Old 10-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DS was 10lb 12oz, and was a cs. I had my DD vbac. She was "only" 9lbs 15oz, but her head and chest circumference were the same. I personally believe that for me it was a positioning issue. Son was posterior and acynclitic. I induced for convenience with him a few days after my due date, got an epi, and was pushing on my back. My DD was a spontaneous delivery one day after due date, and I was standing/all fours for the entire labor. :-)
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
meldo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Dd2 was csection because she was frank breech. Ds was a sort of failed vbac. I say sort of because he came out vaginally but I wouldnt stop bleeding, the inside of my scar was about to pop, and I was rushed back for surgery. So I got my vbac but a section too. Yippee!

My baby was out and safe. I was scared when they ran me back to the or. I had to sign away my uterus in case they couldn't fix me up. Recovery was more difficult because I had lost a lot of blood on top of having surgery. All that said, I'd do it again. It was wonderful to be able to have ds vaginally. I took it for granted with dd1. Now if we have another baby, my OB said it would have to be a csection and early.

I'm typing on my iPhone, sorry.
Most likely nak!
meldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Met with doc about VBAC yesterday..long story!

A repeat c-section carries more risk than a VBAC. Not the other way around.
The risk of rupture with a VBAC is less than 1%. FTR, the risk of rupture with a first vaginal birth... is almost identical.
By that Dr's logic, a c-section would carry less risk than a vaginal birth.

If this was my Dr, I would not be staying with them hoping for a VBAC. Despite what she's told you, she's not a VBAC friendly Dr.

I'm assuming you are in the US. These are the clinical practice guidelines for VBAC, from the Society of OB & GYN of Canada.
I would take some time to read through that and then see how you're feeling about things. I would even print it out and take it to go over with her.
I've never understood why the US has such vastly different VBAC guidelines (as in, pretty much none, they're not allowed in many many places) from us up here. I can't see how a woman's uterus magically changes when you cross the border - perhaps this Dr can explain that one.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

And I was going to add (got pulled away by kiddos)...

I've had one emotionally difficult cs, and one dream homebirth. And after my DD was born I realized it didn't effect how much I loved my kids. :-)

It's not the mode of exit that makes a birth magical. It's being surrounded by people you trust, who believe in your inner strength and affirm your hard work as you go along. And who protect your birthing space. This can happen during a cs, or a vaginal birth, and can be absent from either as well. The important thing to do is research with an open mind (sounds like you have), do what you can to pursue your desired birth, and make sure you have someone with you who is experienced in childbirth and can focus solely on your emotional journey and support you along the way. Some people find that in a close friend or family member, and some people find that a professional doula is the only person who can do that task with objectivity.

It was this realization - that what women need most is to feel safe and supported during birth - that inspired me to start pursuing doula work. :-).
Old 10-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
meldo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon
And I was going to add (got pulled away by kiddos)...

I've had one emotionally difficult cs, and one dream homebirth. And after my DD was born I realized it didn't effect how much I loved my kids. :-)

It's not the mode of exit that makes a birth magical. It's being surrounded by people you trust, who believe in your inner strength and affirm your hard work as you go along. And who protect your birthing space. This can happen during a cs, or a vaginal birth, and can be absent from either as well. The important thing to do is research with an open mind (sounds like you have), do what you can to pursue your desired birth, and make sure you have someone with you who is experienced in childbirth and can focus solely on your emotional journey and support you along the way. Some people find that in a close friend or family member, and some people find that a professional doula is the only person who can do that task with objectivity.

It was this realization - that what women need most is to feel safe and supported during birth - that inspired me to start pursuing doula work. :-).
Beautifully said.

I'm typing on my iPhone, sorry.
Most likely nak!
meldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers
The risk of rupture with a VBAC is less than 1%. FTR, the risk of rupture with a first vaginal birth... is almost identical.

If this was my Dr, I would not be staying with them hoping for a VBAC. Despite what she's told you, she's not a VBAC friendly Dr.

I'm assuming you are in the US. These are the clinical practice guidelines for VBAC, from the Society of OB & GYN of Canada.
I would take some time to read through that and then see how you're feeling about things. I would even print it out and take it to go over with her.
I've never understood why the US has such vastly different VBAC guidelines (as in, pretty much none, they're not allowed in many many places) from us up here. I can't see how a woman's uterus magically changes when you cross the border - perhaps this Dr can explain that one.
That statistic comparing rates of rupture in an unscarred uterus vs a scarred uterus isn't exactly accurate. The Unnecessarean blog wrote up a whole thing on it. I'll go digging for the blog post. I don't disagree with your other conclusions, and I'm very pro-vbac, but that's an important detail to be accurate about. Let me go dig.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was wrong - it was vbacfacts and not Unnecessarean. Oops! Here's the link and a summary

http://vbacfacts.com/2012/01/16/myth...ter-a-cesarean

1/18/12 – The difference in uterine rupture (UR) rates between unscarred and scarred uteri is significant: 1 in 14,286 in an unscarred uterus and 1 in 156 in a scarred uterus. Another way to express this is: 0.7 in 10,000 (0.007%) in an unscarred uterus and 64 in 10,000 (0.64%) in a scarred uterus. This 91 times greater risk does not mean that the risk of UR is so large in a scarred mom, it’s that it’s so very, very small in an unscarred mom.

------

The whole blog post is a good read. :-)
Old 10-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
kushie tushie
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers

I agree with all of this and would totally find a new doctor!
She does not VBAC friendly at all.

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.

Last edited by kushie tushie; 10-27-2012 at 07:11 PM.
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote