Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #11
jaelynsmommy61607's Avatar
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Everett,WA
Posts: 7,494
I think you need a new Dr. There is no reason you can't go over due.

Advertisement

__________________
Jessica-Mommy
Jaelyn(6-16-07) & Dominic (2-4-10)
HBA2C Damian(6-19-12)
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #12
canadianbakers's Avatar
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: MB, Canada
Posts: 9,221
My Mood:
Re: Met with doc about VBAC yesterday..long story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607 View Post
I think you need a new Dr. There is no reason you can't go over due.
I totally agree with this as well. I don't understand the argument that you must go into labor on your own before EDD to get a VBAC, otherwise they will c-sec. Makes no sense.

My first VBAC baby was born after labor started on its own... at 41+4.

Personally, I don't feel comfortable going past 42 weeks. And even then it shouldn't be an automatic c-sec done. This is what I told my OB at my first appt there: I wanted a VBAC, I was willing to let my body take the time it needed up to 42 weeks, at 42 weeks I would agree to induction by AROM and pitocin as needed (the recommended induction for VBACs). He fully agreed with me and never said a word to the contrary.
Honestly, I don't know how he personally feels or thinks about VBAC vs. RCS. He never said anything that didn't follow along with what I wanted and had told him. And, honestly, I don't care. A good Dr should be there to help you make an informed decision - NOT by using scare tactics to "persuade" you - and then should keep all opinions to him/herself unless asked.
__________________
~Elena~
Momma to R (12), Z (10), I (8), L (4), P (2) & J (Apr 14, 2015)
remembering Elliana Lucy (2.7.12)
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #13
pineapplemama3's Avatar
pineapplemama3
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Martinsburg, MO
Posts: 2
I had a caesarean with my DD1 because of some complications, 3 years later I had my DS vbac, they also told me that I had to go into labor on my own to have a vaginal birth because if they were to induce me that it most likely result in a caesarean anyhow, with my DD2 5 years later I planned a vaginal and again they told me I had to go into labor on my own, after Slow progression DD's heart rate was really low and she was in "face presentation" position and because I had be stuck at a 6 for 3 hours they decided a cesarean would be best.
pineapplemama3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #14
jaelynsmommy61607's Avatar
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Everett,WA
Posts: 7,494
Going into labor naturally is important when you vbac. How ever there shouldn't be an unrealistic time limit set like a guess date. Labor will start. Its very rare that it just won't happen.

When I had ds1 I wanted a vbac but I already thought my body was broken. I didn't push for it like I should have. There are things they can do like Foley bulb, arom, pit...it doesn't always have to be an automatic cs. With my vba2c my water broke the day after my due date(sat). DS2 wasn't born until 5)Tuesday. I ended up taking castor oil to start labor. Ended in an amazing home birth like planned.
__________________
Jessica-Mommy
Jaelyn(6-16-07) & Dominic (2-4-10)
HBA2C Damian(6-19-12)
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #15
umphreysmommy's Avatar
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: boston, ma
Posts: 5,069
Your Dr. is not friendly to VBAC's. I would do some more research and if a VBAC is what you desire you will need to find a new doctor. I can say with 99% certainty that if you stay with this doctor and play by his "rules" you will end up with another c-section.

Also for the risks it is less than 1% and that includes all kinds or ruptures. Catastrophic ruptures are much more rare. There are things you can do to keep your risks low. Drink raspberry leaf tea throughout your pregnancy to tone and strengthen your uterus, keep your weight healthy, eat a balanced and healthy diet, etc.
__________________
Mommy to Fiona 12/09 and new baby Layla 3/12 a HBAC!

Last edited by umphreysmommy; 10-29-2012 at 01:43 PM.
umphreysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #16
canadianbakers's Avatar
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: MB, Canada
Posts: 9,221
My Mood:
Re: Met with doc about VBAC yesterday..long story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapplemama3 View Post
if they were to induce me that it most likely result in a caesarean anyhow
I don't agree with this - unless they're trying to induce and your body isn't ready. With a good bishops score, an induction would have a good chance of success.
I also wonder if it's because they seem to like to start inductions with cervidil or cytotec - which are both contraindicated with VBAC inductions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607 View Post
Going into labor naturally is important when you vbac. How ever there shouldn't be an unrealistic time limit set like a guess date. Labor will start. Its very rare that it just won't happen.
It definitely is ideal if your body starts labor on its own, but not the only sign for success, kwim?
Like I said previously, with my own VBAC, I was prepared to go to 42 weeks and then induce at 42 weeks if labor hadn't begun on its own. At that point, I would want to induce and at least give my body that last chance, rather than go for a RCS automatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphreysmommy View Post
Your Dr. is not friendly to VBAC's. I would do some more research and if a VBAC is what you desire you will need to find a new doctor. I can say with 99% certainty that if you stay with this doctor and play by his "rules" you will end up with another c-section.

Also for the risks it is less than 1% and that includes all kinds or ruptures. Catastrophic ruptures are much more rare. There are things you can do to keep your risks low. Drink raspberry leaf tea throughout your pregnancy to tone and strengthen your uterus, keep your weight healthy, eat a balanced and healthy diet, etc.
Unfortunately, the bolded is very true.

I think people hear of a VBAC attempt ending in a c-sec and assume that every one is because of rupture - which makes it easier for the care providers to lie about how "common" rupture is. It really isn't that common.
I think there are all different reasons why a VBAC, just like a normal labor, can end in a c-sec. I do feel like there is less "wiggle room" when they're dealing with VBACs and potential complications - if that makes sense.
__________________
~Elena~
Momma to R (12), Z (10), I (8), L (4), P (2) & J (Apr 14, 2015)
remembering Elliana Lucy (2.7.12)
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #17
mama4tesla
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dundas, Ontario
Posts: 25
My Mood:
Re: Met with doc about VBAC yesterday..long story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katymf View Post
we met with a doctor yesterday to dicsuss our options for vbac or repeat c-section ().
ever since i had DS in may of 2011, i have known i wanted a vbac. a vaginal birth seems so magical and amazing. i'm sure any women who has gone through a c/s dreams and hopes of a vaginal birth.
DS came out at a whopping 10lbs, 13oz and almost 23in long. i made it to 7 1/2 cent. with him then he just wouldnt budge (wonder why??)
i was overweight while pregnant with him, i gained 80lbs and weighed 200lbs at my last weigh in before giving birth to him.
now, being 25 weeks pregnant with DD, i am cautiously watching my weight. we went over my weight gain yesterday while meeting with the doctor and i have gained 6lbs total throughout this pregnancy so far which was awsome news to hear.
we discussed the pros and cons of vbac and repeat c/s. OF COURSE the pros of repeat c-section outweigh that of a vbac. of course.
i have done alot, ALOT of research on vbacs so i already knew what the risks were and blah blah. but when she was telling me about the risks, it made it seem so much real. like there is a 50/50 chance of uterine rupture? or 1 in a 100. something like that. but higher then i guess i had thought. that can then lead to brain damage of the baby (which i didnt know) and other serious complications for baby. i just thought if you had a uterine rupture they perform emergency c-section, get the baby out and all is good. not as simple as i thought, i guess.
for me though, c-section and vbac risks go hand in hand. it is not one sided, like "hey, vbac's are defenitly safer then repeat c-sections." they both have risks but then they both don't have risks. one isn't safer then the other is what i'm trying to say.
the doctor told me the only way i would be able to have a vbac was if i went into spontaneous labor on my own before or on our due date , and if DD doesn't seem to be a 9 or 10lb baby (they will check her weight either through u/s or feeling of the belly once we are closer to our due date. plus, i'm sure i will have a sneaking suspicion if i am carrying around another 11lb baby!)
now, DS was 10 days overdue.
we are hoping and praying that little DD will hopefully not be overdue. so unless one of those 2 things happen, then i can't vbac. if i go one day over my due date we will have to schedule a repeat c-section.
we are just hoping that all goes smoothly, we go into labor on our own, have a fast and safe labor and DD is born vbac.
Just gave birth to DD number 2 by vbac on Dec 8th. If you want it, you have to advocate for yourself and your baby. Believe that your body will do what God created it to do and remain focused and positive. I was 2 days past due date, my water broke but I had no contractions for 24 hours. I had to have my labour augmented with pitocin. Baby's heart rate went down a few times. I had an OB who knew my feelings about repeat csection. She managed every stage of my labour and I got my vbac. I will pray for a safe vbac delivery of your daughter. You can do it.
mama4tesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #18
ajbailey89's Avatar
ajbailey89
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 5,219
My Mood:
Re: Met with doc about VBAC yesterday..long story!

Your OB is not VBAC friendly. I had a doctor that did this same thing. at 39 weeks, he scheduled a C/S without asking me and told me to show up for it.

When I got the notes from the pregnancy, he had noted "we have discussed a RCS and April is okay with this." Um, no, we had not. And I was most certainly not okay.

Get a new doctor while you can.

ETA: my doctor's stipulations were exactly what your doctor said. That I have to go into labor before my DD on my own and that they had to do an ultrasound. Those ultrasounds are such malarky. I was forced into a c/s by this same doctor with my older daughter because she measured 10lbs on the ultrasound and he freaked me out. She came out 8lbs, 11oz. T
__________________
April + Stephen = Eva, Reese, and Baby 3.0 (due Nov '14)

Last edited by ajbailey89; 12-20-2012 at 07:56 PM.
ajbailey89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:09 AM   #19
cinderella08's Avatar
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,188
My Mood:
Re: Met with doc about VBAC yesterday..long story!

Just wanted to mention that if it gets to the point where you are term and it looks like you'll again go past your EDD and baby looks close to the same size as your previous baby that wouldn't fit - you could consider an induction. The risks of UR are higher, but not unreasonable. Prostaglandin inductions are generally not viewed as ok, but the ACOG is in favor of pitocin inductions in VBACs. I had to be induced as a VBAC due to preeclampsia. My Bishop Score was literally a 0 - posterior cervix, completely thick and totally closed. They started low-dose pit and he was here in 9 hours! I had a previous failed induction that resulted in a section, so I went into the second induction very scared that it too would fail - but it didn't - and it was amazing.
__________________
Hi, I'm Amber. Wife to an amazing man
Mama to
Ava {12.20.08}, Levi {8.19.10},and Aspen {7.11.13}.
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #20
jenner0280's Avatar
jenner0280
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 77
My Mood:
Re: Met with doc about VBAC yesterday..long story!

I'm sort of in the same situation as my son was overdue and my doctor told me that I have a decent chance that this one will be late too. I'm wondering if any of you had a doctor tell you when "enough is enough". I saw 42 weeks from a few people. Did anyone's doctor give them a recommended time after 40 weeks that they should schedule a CSection? Is 42 weeks when the baby begins to not thrive from the placenta?
jenner0280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.