Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #11
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breaking water vs. Pitocin???

Another risk of water's breaking is cord prolapse, but that can also happen if they rupture on their own!

For ME, and each women will be different, I HAVE to have my water broken for things to start going.
With my last I was already contracting yet NOTHING was happening. Midwife broke my water and DD was born 27min later!
Before her, with DS I was contracting for about 8 hours off and on. Not painful, no consistant, and then my water broke and he was out 2.5hrs later! (water broke on it's own that time)

I say, ask for a membrane sweep to help get things going. You sound very favorable to labor to start if given a little push.
Otherwise, I'd just ask for water to be broken instead!
Pitocin is SO much worse than natural labor in my opinion!

Advertisement

trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #12
mammacandoit
Registered Users
seller

I had pitocin with my first. Among other things, she is the reason I have my babies at home now. It's very very painful...I don't see why you couldn't just wait until labor starts naturally?

mammacandoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #13
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Pit can be used in different ways and "induction" can mean different things. I was post dates and baby unhappy but not ready to go into labor at all. I had cervidil for 2 days and then was started on pit. Prior to having pit I had a few random contractions but nothing organized. I needed the pit to start labor. If they had turned off the pit, I would have stopped having contractions.

Pit can also be used to jump start someone who's right there and get labor going. Pit is stopped and labor continues on it's own.

As others have said the risk of rupture is that you are on the time clock and must have the baby w/in 24 hours.

My experience with pit was that it was extremely painful and I went way too long (8 hours) before getting an epi. If I am ever induced again (which I would avoid at all costs) I would not wait to get an epi. If you're going to be on pit, you'll be hooked up for continous monitoring anyway. I was able to move a lot in the area around the bed - maybe 10 feet and by the time things got really bad I really had no desire to go walk anywhere (except out of the hospital and off the pit!).

And the epi really really really helped with the pain.

My water wasn't broken until about 30 mins before I actual gave birth. A doula friend of my suggested that birth is a lot more comfortable (hahahaha) with the cushion effect of the bag of waters. I have heard from many mamas that once the waters were broken the pain level shot up and labor really kicked in.

Talk to your provider and find out why s/he's suggesting one way over another. Discuss the risk and benefits of each.

Last edited by AniMommy; 11-01-2012 at 11:14 AM.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #14
Janet4
Registered Users
seller

I've had 4 drug-free deliveries. The 3rd was w/pitocin. Not an option to break my water b/c baby's head was not far enough engaged (chance of cord prolapse). I'd been in labor for 24 hrs (not hospital all that time). Finally agreed to pitocin. It's definitely a VERY intense experience. IF breaking the water is an option, I think I'd try that first.
Janet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #15
LindsayMichelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was induced with pitocin and was no where near dilated or effaced as you. The pitocin was hard, started having contraction right away and just having them stick that gel up you is super uncomfortable. So I had pitocin at 10 pm Sun, noon on Mon my water broke on it's own. 7 pm Mon I was fully dilated and effaced, doc told me to start pushing. Baby born at 10 pm Mon night. Oh that was so hard!

I would skip pitocin and let them break your water! Good luck and whatever choice you make, I'm sure you'll do fine! Good luck!
LindsayMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #16
LindsayMichelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's amazing you've had 4 pregnancies free from drugs, way to go! I wish I could have had the same experience. Maybe next go around for me!
LindsayMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #17
nicksgrl126
Registered Users
seller

Have you tried any natural labor starters? It seems like physically you are very close to labor. I had pitocin inductions with my first two and they were very difficult to cope with. My second two were natural and must easier. Personally, I would wait it out. Full term is anywhere from 38-42 weeks, and while the thought of going to 42 weeks can be frightening try to remember that babies start labor when their lungs are ready!
nicksgrl126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #18
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

I didn't read the whole thread, but this is my experience:

My waters were broken at 39 weeks. I wasn't dilated at all beforehand, wasn't effaced that much, didn't get a drop of pitocin, and also had an epidural administered right before transition (4 hours before birth). I was only in labor for 18 hours, and it wasn't that painful or uncomfortable. I specifically requested no pitocin because I heard how horrible it was for some other mothers. I honestly have no idea why they thought it would be a good idea to induce me. My Bishop score was 0 or in the negatives (if that's possible). I was just "tired of being pregnant" and didn't know any better.

I think my labor and delivery was really the exception to the rule, although at 41+ weeks if they are really pushing for an induction, I would *highly* recommend breaking your waters and only considering pitocin as a last resort.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #19
dancingingrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
Unlike PP, once they started me on pitocin they were unwilling to turn it off or even leave it. It was turned up every 15 minutes until.. I can't remember, something magical happened, like me deciding to never give birth in a hospital again. So you might want to ask your provider about that.
Yes, she said that they would turn it up every 20 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
I don't think breaking your water is guaranteed to start labor. So you may end up with pit anyway. For me, breaking my water means I'm having a baby within 90 minutes, but I've also been partly dilated and in 2 births, having ctx already.

OP-- what happened last time they broke your water? Did it speed up labor?
Last time, I was also 4cm when they broke my water, and I was having contractions but not strong enough to feel (they showed up on the monitor). After they broke my water, I got the painful contractions and I *think* it was about 4 1/2-5 hrs till I had my DD (I can't remember what time they broke the water, but my mom thinks she remembers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edensmomma View Post
There are risks to breaking your water, such as having the baby engage into the pelvis in a less than optimal position, such as AOP (posterior) You may want to ask what station your baby is in before they break your water. The higher the baby is up the more chance you have of engaging in your pelvis in a posterior position. I personally have had this happen to 2 clients and the baby came down far enough to where we could see the babys' hair but the skull bones wouldn't pass the spiny bones in the hips, even with assistance from the OBGYN. Both deliveries ended in Cesarean. Also, the minute your water is broken, you have 24 hours to deliver or they will give you a c-section due to the risk of infection.
I don't say this to scare you, I just really want women to be educated on the risks of such procedures and often hospitals/doc won't take the time to tell you these things.
No, I appreciate all the info and advice, that's what I was looking for! Like I said, I didn't find out at last week's appt what station, but I was only at -2 the week before. It feels like she has dropped, but I really don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniMommy View Post
Pit can be used in different ways and "induction" can mean different things. I was post dates and baby unhappy but not ready to go into labor at all. I had cervidil for 2 days and then was started on pit. Prior to having pit I had a few random contractions but nothing organized. I needed the pit to start labor. If they had turned off the pit, I would have stopped having contractions.

Pit can also be used to jump start someone who's right there and get labor going. Pit is stopped and labor continues on it's own.

As others have said the risk of rupture is that you are on the time clock and must have the baby w/in 24 hours.

My experience with pit was that it was extremely painful and I went way too long (8 hours) before getting an epi. If I am ever induced again (which I would avoid at all costs) I would not wait to get an epi. If you're going to be on pit, you'll be hooked up for continous monitoring anyway. I was able to move a lot in the area around the bed - maybe 10 feet and by the time things got really bad I really had no desire to go walk anywhere (except out of the hospital and off the pit!).

And the epi really really really helped with the pain.

My water wasn't broken until about 30 mins before I actual gave birth. A doula friend of my suggested that birth is a lot more comfortable (hahahaha) with the cushion effect of the bag of waters. I have heard from many mamas that once the waters were broken the pain level shot up and labor really kicked in.

Talk to your provider and find out why s/he's suggesting one way over another. Discuss the risk and benefits of each.
Thanks so much for sharing that the epi worked for the pitocin!! I know epi's aren't popular around here, but sometimes they are needed. The pain did really kick in for me after I had my water broken, but once I got the epi, I felt nothing and had a heavenly delivery, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet4 View Post
I've had 4 drug-free deliveries. The 3rd was w/pitocin. Not an option to break my water b/c baby's head was not far enough engaged (chance of cord prolapse). I'd been in labor for 24 hrs (not hospital all that time). Finally agreed to pitocin. It's definitely a VERY intense experience. IF breaking the water is an option, I think I'd try that first.
Congrats, mama...that's great that you made it 4 times drug free...way to go!
dancingingrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #20
dancingingrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksgrl126 View Post
Have you tried any natural labor starters? It seems like physically you are very close to labor. I had pitocin inductions with my first two and they were very difficult to cope with. My second two were natural and must easier. Personally, I would wait it out. Full term is anywhere from 38-42 weeks, and while the thought of going to 42 weeks can be frightening try to remember that babies start labor when their lungs are ready!
I've tried different at home things..no herbs or anything b/c I just don't have them, but we'v DTD lots (TMI), long walks, squats, up and down stairs, carrying my 2yo around, nipple stimulation (some, not a ton), but I just don't seem to be going anywhere. Now, I will be the first to admit that I am not nearly as informed as a lot of you, but my fears are 1)that she will be too big and get stuck, and I'll end up with a c-section (I know inductions can lead to c-sections, too). My first was 7lb 3 1/2oz at 38 weeks, and I have a very small frame...I know lots of small women birth big babies, but it just worries me. 2)I worry about meconium aspiration, and I think I'm more paranoid about this b/c 2 of my friends had babies who were overdue, and they both ended up in the NICU for 10 days because of this. So...I'm not trying to be in a hurry just because I want to be done being pregnant, but I just have a few fears...
dancingingrace is offline   Reply With Quote