Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-21-2012, 06:11 AM   #201
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: November Chicken Chat Thread~~~Join in!~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
I'm lurking, I just don't have the heart to join in conversation right now. Sorry.
Hang in there, sweetie. Take your time. It's so hard.

Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 06:50 AM   #202
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There you are girl! I sure have missed you. I was wondering if you would join or not. So glad you made it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom1mg View Post
So I am going to stand up in front of the class....
Hello my name is Melissa. I am stalking sarahannecloud9. Hi Sarah
First sorry for your loss - Liz...

Then-
I have 12 chickens but I am not a great chicken mama.
(This is like self help for the farmer in me!)
One chicken is called Lucy, she is slightly taller, thinner and bigger
The other eleven are called Henny Penny cause I can't tell them apart.
I don't know what breed they are AND purchased them "ready to lay".
If you all aren't shunning me yet THANK YOU!
Our girls are free range, today that meant being on my patio on my POOL table, under the trampoline and perched on a sheep. They are supposed to stay in the barn yard and pasture but hop the fences and frequently need shooshing back over.
I like having them here and we are planning to get about 20 more. I want to put more planning into the next batch we get as our first girls were bought quickly for our farm status and not because we wanted that breed. I hope one day I can hatch them as I am hoping they will then let me touch them - ours are gently herded places but not picked up.

So HI everyone!
We have a Henny Penny too, lol. If you took a pic of them we could play the guessing game. Also, if you decide to incubate, Liz and I just made incubators. So fun, a science project for the boys, and how easy. Minus the electrical, but once I figured it out it was an oh duh moment, lol.

If you know any other farms with eggs for sale that have some breeds you like, see about getting some fresh eggs!

I have a clutch of 5 more due tomorrow that we got on Cayden's first hs field trip to that farm I told you about. CAN NOT WAIT!

Have you been on byc yet? Super helpfull and fun site.
They are hosting a worldwide new years day hatch-a-long. We set to lay the 10th of next month. Havn't explained that one thouraly (sp) to Ray yet.

I do have good reasions for hatching so many. Most will be for our consumption, a cpl will replace some of our layers, some will add to the flock, and I want to sell chicks. We have lots for sale here, but nothing A+ healthy, kwim. Lots of abused animals that shouldn' get anyones buisness and the others all seem to be selling sick or layed out chickens.

I want to help people see how fun and usefull a cpl back yard chickens can be. Give them good info and a healthy option. Not to just buy from the creapy dude at the flea market with the chicks infested with scaley leg or cocci, or poor layed out hens.

Kinda like spreading the word of cloth, haha.

Hey Melissa, why don't you think of qualities you would like in a "your very own" chicken? Then we can all come up with some breeds. You can read about them and sear for pics, and see if you can get them local? I'm Sarah, and I'm an enabeler.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #203
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I just introduced myself on BYC after lurking for a bit....I still can't navigate the site very easily but I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually. lol

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #204
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I enjoy the learning cntre and the forums are kinda easy. I have just been posting questions, but I was only reading the info through the learning cntre. I'm a info dork, lol. I do find not many people really want to talk if your not a regular. I bet it's cause the site is so big. Prob tons of people come and go?
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 11-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #205
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

Morning

I think I want to get some easter eggers just for fun colours! Then we have brown eggs here and we like them but our eggs are kinda small. SO bigger eggs, friendly hardy chickens. We get LOTS of rain here - it's actually a rain forest! (sans heat of course) so I guess if there are breeds that lay longer or do better in the dark and damp that would be good. Are some breeds more likely to stay home then others? Ours have made it down our 150 foot drive-way and over two fences to the road a couple times! I want to hatch them one day but I have two worries 1) we haven't killed a chicken and aren't planning on it so I am scared about that and 2) we don't have a rooster and don't want any EVER so what if I end up with loads of roosters? We sell most of the eggs we have and always sell out - sometimes there aren't even enough for us to eat! So we really need more chickens. I have another order for 8 dozen and have like 6 eggs total on our farm right now.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #206
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My FAV link ever! http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenders...ks/chooks.html
It tells the weather they thrive in, production, egg size, temper, and all you could want to know in a quick overview! I may have read it 15X!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom1mg View Post
Morning

I think I want to get some easter eggers just for fun colours! Then we have brown eggs here and we like them but our eggs are kinda small. SO bigger eggs, friendly hardy chickens. We get LOTS of rain here - it's actually a rain forest! (sans heat of course) so I guess if there are breeds that lay longer or do better in the dark and damp that would be good. Are some breeds more likely to stay home then others? Ours have made it down our 150 foot drive-way and over two fences to the road a couple times! I want to hatch them one day but I have two worries 1) we haven't killed a chicken and aren't planning on it so I am scared about that and 2) we don't have a rooster and don't want any EVER so what if I end up with loads of roosters? We sell most of the eggs we have and always sell out - sometimes there aren't even enough for us to eat! So we really need more chickens. I have another order for 8 dozen and have like 6 eggs total on our farm right now.
I know I'm a huge fan of the cochin, but they sound like a good fit. As long as you don't get many days over 100 because of the heavy fluff and feathered legs. <3 !!!! They lay well for me, so sweet, eat a lot , stay close to home. They do have a small single comb that can get frostbite, but as long as they have proper houseing they are fine. As for flighty, the rir's buckeyes, bantams, game birds. Not super friendly and roam. Oh barre drock too! Dumb things.

As for all the cockerals in the hatch, we eat them. I do the processing of the chickens. Hope to put 20+ in the freezer come spring. You can take them to a butcher for a reasionable fee, give them away, or sell for super cheap.

I'd love to see your chickens. I'm betting you have rir's!

AFM- My blue cochin has a skin issue. I'm gonna have to post to byc for help. She has no feathers on her compleat underside and throat. Never has. Now her skin is peeling like a snake. She's in the house warming up after a good bath.

I found the perfect thing for cleaning the coop shavings without wasting so much at clean out time. Liz mentioned a pooper scooper a while back, so we thought long and hard. Ray found one at the flea market the other day for .05 cents! The really big one! LOVE it. I just sift and toss in my bucket. No more going through tons of shavings! Thanks Liz for the idea.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #207
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here's my poop baby.
Some before pics too.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:04 AM   #208
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So the little tinted egg from the field trip pipped yesterday, hatched while I was sleeping. It's a perfect little white baby! I'll get pics when they dry, waiting for the others. Now for some Thanksgiving names and prayin these arn't roos.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #209
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sarah so exciting! One of my chickens (from the past) has what your blue had...we could never figure out what it was but she was on of our best layers!
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:18 AM   #210
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
So the other 2 wyndottes are in the boarder house now too. One is almost bald and all bloody.

After the holiday, the wyndottes are going back. And come spring I will figure out if we are culing the RIR and starting over or not.
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote