Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2012, 01:41 AM   #311
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: November Chicken Chat Thread~~~Join in!~~~

quick update before I go crawl my exhausted body into bed.. hatch is complete! Last 3 babies are out, the two that hatched earlier this evening are fluffed up enough to move in with Sophia and the last baby just made it out 15min ago and will need some time in the bator alone to recoup and dry off. Older two were bugging it and picking at light fixture so I figured I'd move them and leave him. So tired, and a bit glad it's over. Lot of stress. Will update with pics of the babies in the am!

Advertisement

3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:43 AM   #312
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resellmybelle View Post
I don't know if that link was correct. What was it that I would need to get down the road?

Do you mean that even after he feathers he will need something additional for warmth if he cannot join the flock? Is it because they huddle together on the cold nights? I never thought of that. I have never dealt with such an event, so this is all new to me. He was hurt from day 1, it's been a long four weeks. Hey, maybe that is why my cycle is so delayed, I have been stressed about this lil one!

I think I have a trouble light in the garage already is that the same as a utility light? We have one of those big heat lamps out on the coop.

ETA: I just looked at the link pic again, I see a tiny beak peaking out of that egg, how cute!

ETA: I am so tired....lol.
Oops I guess it didn't copy right, yes that's what I meant. They need to huddle to keep warm at night in winter. This is the correct link:

http://www.brinsea.com/prod-EcoGlow_...ooder-239.aspx
Old 11-29-2012, 05:31 AM   #313
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, I read what I missed yesterday but can't reply to all. Thanks Chloe. They are realy country boys, lol. Dont lurk, jump in!

Congrats Liz!

Michelle, all my good lights are used. For extra lights for the ittys, I have little boxes with the flaps taped down. I cut wire for the top and duct-tape the edge so no owies. I run a little multi-plug extensioncord and plug 2 4 watt night lights in it. I use tape and straws to hang to proper height from the wire. Believe it or not, it's enough heat. I cover most of the top in cloth to hold heat in. I also tape the cord for extra safty. Here's a pic that kinda shows. Good luck with your fella. For my brooders, I use old lamps. I hang upsidedown. I cut a hole through the rabbit wire tops so I can screw the bulb back in. They work great. Could he have a nurtitional absorption problem? The leg shouldn't keep him from growing or feathering unless he can't get to the food. Can you try an experiment? Like I do for Patients- grind her chick feed with a tad of dry cat food and mix with powdered hand feeding formula for exotic chicks. She's gaining like mad! I'm also handfeeding to give her a faster head start too though. She's the chick found out in the growout pen that had no tongue and is malnourished and starved. She's fully feathered and you can't tell till you touch her. She already loves the handfeedings, lol. Only once a day though. It's speeding up the gaining weight process. No bady fat, so can't join the others. I just wonder if he may be tempted to eat the smaller food pieces all mixed with new flavors? I use a coffee grinder. She's going through tons of it now. Just an idea?

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:45 AM   #314
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Michelle, another option, for my just hatched, I have a wet dry heating pad I place under their box on low. You wouldn't believe how happy they are with a heated floor, lol.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 11-29-2012, 06:46 AM   #315
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Patients is 7.2 oz this am. If she starts loosing I don't know.... I'm gonna bump her up to 3 hand feedings a day. Hopefully she can gain enough to sustain her own nutritional needs later. She's happy and not in pain. She LOVES being held and walking around the house. SOOO friendly. Dang it! She started at 7.4, went to 7.9, now 7.2. Hope it's just a beginners fluctuation.

Please say some prayers for her. I know she would do well in the flock, she just has to get there.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:56 AM   #316
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs
Sounds like you've got it figured out Becky. Glad your girls are laying again! What kind are you thinking of for your new flock?
Something that lays well and doesn't eat each other
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #317
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Hmm I wonder if I can find that episode on Netflix. Hoarders is an obbession of mine.

Makes me feel normal about my fabric
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #318
stacieandtheboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Man I want to get rid of all my dogs now so I can have lots of chickens! I can't let mine free range because my dogs kill them. i have one dog that is an amazing bird catcher killer. Always killing the neighbors racing pigeons that land in our yard. He's worse than a cat! I have to put my dogs up when I want the chickens to roam around. It gets hot in the barn in the summer. Blah. Mean dogs!
Stacie, Wife to Robert, Mama to Jacob Dominic Luke and baby boy #4 coming May 2014
stacieandtheboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #319
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Goodmorning! Well, it will be after I can chug down a few cups of coffee. I am so tired! Here's the littles, sorry about the quality of the pic, they're still very sleepy and uncooperative. The last three look so similar, I can't even tell which other one was Lacy's. One looks an awful lot like Fred did as a chick. Should be interesting to see how they feather in!

So my hatch was
1 clear/infertile
1 waterlogged baby, wrong end pip, narrow egg and blood loss
4 healthy/normal

and with no malformations or other issues so I think that's pretty good for a first time. Next time I'll be more selective about the eggs I choose for hatching and hopefully the turnout will be better.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #320
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumstoppers View Post
Something that lays well and doesn't eat each other
Easter eggers!