Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #341
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: November Chicken Chat Thread~~~Join in!~~~

Glad to hear he/she? is doing better Michelle. I would think you cold just soak regular mash feed and add water until it's soupy? I don't know though, I have never done it so don't go on my opinion. LOL

Sarah how's patience doing?

So just when I think we've had our share of crap this year, Dh called me and MIL and FIL had to put their last horse down. Joy was 30 and had been around most of dh's life. She was bucking and acting fine and FIL decided to take her on a ride since she was feeling so good. No sooner did he get out the front gate that she seized and fell throwing him in the street. She never got up. They think she may have had a stroke. I think I'm done with 2012, y'all. DONE.

Advertisement

3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #342
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

OH my gosh you guys, look at this guy's chickens.. the project colors. No I fully admit I am not a fan of the orpingtons available here in the states. They are squatty and their face looks almost deformed. But I lurrrrvveee the ones in the UK. I would die to have some of his silver chocolate birds. WOW

http://www.keiths-orps.co.uk/categor...r-project.html
Old 11-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #343
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:

They are gorgeous! And I really like the little dog house on wheels! I had been thinking I could modify a large dog house for another coop, may be too hot for Tx summer nights though...
Old 11-30-2012, 05:23 AM   #344
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resellmybelle View Post
Loving all the pics of chicks!

Gimpy = Precious much better name and more indicative of his/her spirit.

Well, for Precious I mixed some chicken starter and dry cat food (recommended on another board I think) in the grinder and have fed it twice today by hand. Was not sure how much to feed, that is a little disturbing, I felt his crop to make sure it wasn't too full. He just had his dinner and he seems much more at peace than this time last night.

Ya'll are not going to believe this, but on his "good foot" the one that isn't broken, he is missing his last section on his middle toe. No toe nail or anything. LOL. So, he has to hop around on that ONE foot, which happens to be the one minus a strong middle toe! Oh my, ISSUES.

BTW, He loves his heating pad!!!

I do not want to buy expensive hand feeding food right now. I did that before and only used a little and it was wasted.

Any other nutritious treats to feed her, like eggs or something? I don't know what it is, but I really feel like the hand feeding is going to be the success. Wish I had asked for help sooner.
I'm so glad to hear Precious is doing a little better. Do you have a post or food scale you could use to make sure there is progress? Also, be sure just to use a little catfood, don't want to much protein. I'm also doing finly chopped scrambled eggs for Patients. she really likes them. I wouldn't have been able to buy the hand feeding mix, but I had some leftover. The chick starter has so much of what they need right now. A bit more nutrients, protein, and taste from the catfood and it's pretty close to the stuff you buy. It's a good idea to offer it dry too. I just don't mix that jar as fine and offer it as food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Glad to hear he/she? is doing better Michelle. I would think you cold just soak regular mash feed and add water until it's soupy? I don't know though, I have never done it so don't go on my opinion. LOL

So just when I think we've had our share of crap this year, Dh called me and MIL and FIL had to put their last horse down. Joy was 30 and had been around most of dh's life. She was bucking and acting fine and FIL decided to take her on a ride since she was feeling so good. No sooner did he get out the front gate that she seized and fell throwing him in the street. She never got up. They think she may have had a stroke. I think I'm done with 2012, y'all. DONE.
Oh no Liz, is DH ok??!! Did he hit the pavment or get a leg smushed or anything? Would he speak up about being hurt? Poor guy. Just trying to take her for some fun. Even old horses like to still ride and feel usefull. Poor gal. It's been a really crappy year all around for everyone hasn't it.
Quote:
OH my gosh you guys, look at this guy's chickens.. the project colors. No I fully admit I am not a fan of the orpingtons available here in the states. They are squatty and their face looks almost deformed. But I lurrrrvveee the ones in the UK. I would die to have some of his silver chocolate birds. WOW

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:23 AM   #345
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resellmybelle View Post
Loving all the pics of chicks!

Gimpy = Precious much better name and more indicative of his/her spirit.

Well, for Precious I mixed some chicken starter and dry cat food (recommended on another board I think) in the grinder and have fed it twice today by hand. Was not sure how much to feed, that is a little disturbing, I felt his crop to make sure it wasn't too full. He just had his dinner and he seems much more at peace than this time last night.

Ya'll are not going to believe this, but on his "good foot" the one that isn't broken, he is missing his last section on his middle toe. No toe nail or anything. LOL. So, he has to hop around on that ONE foot, which happens to be the one minus a strong middle toe! Oh my, ISSUES.

BTW, He loves his heating pad!!!

I do not want to buy expensive hand feeding food right now. I did that before and only used a little and it was wasted.

Any other nutritious treats to feed her, like eggs or something? I don't know what it is, but I really feel like the hand feeding is going to be the success. Wish I had asked for help sooner.
I'm so glad to hear Precious is doing a little better. Do you have a post or food scale you could use to make sure there is progress? Also, be sure just to use a little catfood, don't want to much protein. I'm also doing finly chopped scrambled eggs for Patients. she really likes them. I wouldn't have been able to buy the hand feeding mix, but I had some leftover. The chick starter has so much of what they need right now. A bit more nutrients, protein, and taste from the catfood and it's pretty close to the stuff you buy. It's a good idea to offer it dry too. I just don't mix that jar as fine and offer it as food.
Quote:

Oh no Liz, is DH ok??!! Did he hit the pavment or get a leg smushed or anything? Would he speak up about being hurt? Poor guy. Just trying to take her for some fun. Even old horses like to still ride and feel usefull. Poor gal. It's been a really crappy year all around for everyone hasn't it.
Quote:

I seriously love the chocolate color on animals! LOVE a chocolate lab, lol. Good example. It just looks good. I really like the body proportions of his stock! So much Like the cochin, and you know that's kinda my thing. I like a full boddied curvey chicken. Looks right. Does he have standard, didn't see? So many people are only into the bantams. I have noticed America has way diff standards for animal breeds. Like the rotty. I grw up with German rottys and just find their look more appealing. yet the American looks compleatly diff. I'm finding this everywhere with chickens as well.

Patients is ok. She's become spoiled, chirped as loud as she could all night to be held. I have to cut back on the snuggles. I have a bad feeling this won't wok and I'm trying to make her days happy. Her weight agaiin, was only 7.2 this am. I fed 3 times yesterday. I've learned 3 syringes is perfect meal size for her. She still didn't gain. No more loss though. I'm just gonna see how it goes on this feeding scedual. If she doesn't start gaining, I have to stop. She will eventually start to suffer and I can't do that to her for my own selfish reasions. I have to admit to you guys, she really has stolen my heart. I tried! I really tried not to get to attatched. But c'mon, hand feeding a sick baby animal and even the strong would have fallen in love.

OMGosh, listen to this. Since I brought her in and started the snuggle time, she has cuddled up and chirped like a cricket. She even does it for the boys when they come over to pet her and say hi. Such a joy that I know will prob not be here this time next week. This doesn't mean I'm not gonna try, just no illusions, and I will not keep her with us if she doesn't start to gain. It's her quality of life that's important to me.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89

Last edited by sarahannecloud9; 11-30-2012 at 05:36 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #346
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Went out to collect eggs this morning, just walked along checked on food and water and all the sudden I get flogged on my a$$! Turn around and Balboa is all puffed up. He came at me again so I gave him a good swift kick. He ran away like I wounded him for life! LOL! The girls following behind him, shooting me nasty looks for messing with their man I think.......hahahaha!
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:05 AM   #347
Happy Mommax4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Wounded for life........he'll forget by the next time you've got your back turned-darn roosters, can you sense the bitterness
Old 11-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #348
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Sitting here listening to the babies twittering.. I love happy baby noises.

Sarah just love on her as much as you can and be merciful when it's clear that she's not ok anymore.

FIL was riding the horse, not J. Sorry if I wasn't clear. J is worried since FIL has had back issues but he says he's ok. Makes me nervous. Joy was a quarter horse and quite heavy. He did hit the pavement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Mommax4 View Post
Wounded for life........he'll forget by the next time you've got your back turned-darn roosters, can you sense the bitterness
Ain't that the truth. Wear tall garden boots and remind him every now and then how fast he can fly on the tip of your toe and he'll wise up.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #349
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsen6 View Post
Went out to collect eggs this morning, just walked along checked on food and water and all the sudden I get flogged on my a$$! Turn around and Balboa is all puffed up. He came at me again so I gave him a good swift kick. He ran away like I wounded him for life! LOL! The girls following behind him, shooting me nasty looks for messing with their man I think.......hahahaha!
Sorry Fodie! Good reflexes girl!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Mommax4 View Post

Quote:
Sitting here listening to the babies twittering.. I love happy baby noises.

Sarah just love on her as much as you can and be merciful when it's clear that she's not ok anymore.
I will.
FIL was riding the horse, not J. Sorry if I wasn't clear. J is worried since FIL has had back issues but he says he's ok. Makes me nervous. Joy was a quarter horse and quite heavy. He did hit the pavement.

Oh man. Well I hope he is really ok.

Ain't that the truth. Wear tall garden boots and remind him every now and then how fast he can fly on the tip of your toe and he'll wise up.
Did I show you this pic yet. I LOVE it!

Photobomb time! Snuck some pics of the outside chickies last night and this am. Look at the little bantam mix, so small! Also some pics of the cochins in the big girl brooder in the house. Sorry such crappy pics, my flash hates me.
I think the little Booboo chicken is a girl!

Check out how long the thigh feathers already are!!!

Old 11-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #350
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Ha, silly boy.

Wow, they're getting so big- they look great! wha? Where did the little silver partridge hen come from? I swear you've got some crazy genetics going on in that pen. LOL