Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #351
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: November Chicken Chat Thread~~~Join in!~~~

Ok so maybe I was desperatly hoping I "wounded him for life", I like him so much he will let you pick him up and loves to be scratched under his wattles. He used to be such a sweetie. If he doesn't behave he may be dinner

Advertisement

Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #352
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Liz, remember I hatched the crazy success rate with eggs from our old roos. I had 2 little bantam roos and Booboo chicken. Just backyard mixes. One pure cochin I'm keeping. The others are sadly for food. I'm pretty sure the white is a pullet so we are prob keeping that one?
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #353
rawheid
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Congrats Heidi!! Wow that is early! What is her breed?
ok.
They are ISA browns. Also know as s#x-a-link.
Join me on Swagbucks

rawheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #354
Bekki
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quick! I need suggestions!

I have to pick one rooster to keep and give the other two back. They're only about 4 weeks old now, so they still have some growing up to do. But are there any early signs of... I don't know, personality??? that I should look out for?

I kind of favor our big guy... he's BIG, and seems to be kind of the leader of the group. He's always on the lookout, as if he's watching out for the others.

The other two act pretty much like the other girls. lol

Is there any reason why I would/would not want to keep the big guy? I know that renegade roosters can be quite a problem. Not sure if it's too early to tell or anything. Or maybe it's just a toss up, either way?
Old 11-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #355
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would keep the big boy Bekki, it seems he has taken to his role as the big rooster and the girls will be more likely to accept him. If you kept a smaller roo they might pick on him.
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #356
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Bekki, I'd persionally go with the sweetest. Non-aggressive in any way. Kind with the others. It is pretty early. Others may go for the leader or best looking. I would go with just the sweet average guy, like men. hehe. Get's along with the others, never pecking or correcting others. Not really the leader? That will most of the time come naturally. When I got Solomon he had no clue how to protect or be a real roo. He only knew mate and eat. Now he feeds the girls and protects them. Hes even sweeter than our Booboo was. Unless you will breeding to sell and need the best looks, go with persionality. Not brave enough to come to you, but more like the shy one than never pecks your hand. And remember, the ugly duckling can blossom into the best looking of them all. Hope any of that makes sense?

Youngrats on the trade back! And gl with the choice. If the roo ends up turning mean, you can always replace him.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 11-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #357
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I knew the other Momas would choose the opposite of me. I'm an oddball. I like runts and underdogs, haha!

Just pick one, ya never know.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #358
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Bekki with them being that little it's going to be hard to judge since the hormones haven't officially hit yet. Some things to consider, you don't want a really big guy if your hens are only average, his size and weight may be hard on them while mating. Nor do you want a runty guy because like Fodie said they may pick on him and he will find it hard to establish his dominance over the flock. Things you can observe and cull for NOW, are the ones that rush your hand when you go in to feed to attack you. The ones that peck you or posture around your hands are an immediate cull, they are aggressive and will always be. Take some time to observe them and see who pecks combs/heads without cause or keeps the girls from the food. A good roo will protect the females and allow them to get the food first or call them to it. Even a bitty guy will start to show this behavior. Good luck, it's always a bit of a gamble picking out a roo. Like Sarah, I chose the smaller of my two (the underdog) and while I don't regret that choice because his brother was mean even at 8wks old, my roo is still a brat sometimes.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #359
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You guys just won't believe this!!!! I entered the big Hasbro toy giveaway, forgot to go back each day and re-enter. The boys won second prize!!!!!!! We can give Cayden a nice present! We were only going to be able to do 1 nice toy each from Santa and a cpl small items from us. Now Cayden will get a great toy!!!! I'm in tears ya'll. How lucky was this? What a blessing. This is one of the things that reassures me of God's existance. When we're rock bottom, he provides. Somehow he always has. I CAN'T wait to tell Ray!!!!
;cry
; I have put so much money into the girls. There just hasn't been any way to save. These chickens are more than pets. Sadly they are food for us. They can be pets too. It was a good investment. We will have a full freezer come spring, but so much money. So many issues came up with taking the lasat group from that dumb guy. I wouldn't change a thing. It just really messed up with the ability to save for presents. The boys are great, Cayden does get it's about Jesus and not all presents. BUT, what kid doesn't enjoy a nice thoughtfull present. It says he will either get a beyblade destroyer dome, or a nerf vortex pyragon. Still havn't looked them up yet, but he loves the beyblade stuff, lol. He'll love it no matter what. It can be for both of them if it's age appropriate. If not, we can get William somethign.

Sorry for the ramble, I'm just sooo overwhelmed!
Old 11-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #360
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Sarah that's wonderful and not luck at all. There isn't a more deserving mama or little boy out there.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote