Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #11
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: QUICK! What do you use bacon grease for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@hmommy View Post
Do you know how to make the gravy? That's the important part, it just smothers the taste of the biscuit anyway! It will keep if you want to reheat in the morning, just warm it up slowly and you will probably need to add a little milk to keep it from getting too thick.

I make it super easy. Heat up the grease (I use one package of bacons worth ) pretty hot then turn back the heat to med-low. Add about 2 heaping spoons of flour (start with less), you want it to be watery enough you can still stir it with no lumps. Cook like this for a few minutes to cook out the flour taste. Then add about 2-3 cups of milk slowly and keep stirring. It will thicken as you cook it. It makes a pretty big pan full, you can add milk as after you take it off the heat if it seems too thick.

I may have to cook some now! Making me hungry!
Yea, I've watched my mom make the gravy five billion times b/c my dad is hooked on it. I haven't personally done it, but I do know it's flour and milk stirred in and simmered till it's as thick as you want. Basically.

I just suck at baking, and have an oven that is over 50 yrs old (literally, not joking) so making biscuits seems a bit daunting.

I know I should try it, DH would love it.

Advertisement

Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #12
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I personally don't save the actual grease from bacon anymore since we started rendering our own lard. We pour the bacon grease to critters now. It has a different taste then the grease from sausage.Tends to take on a slightly burned smell/flavor whereas our sausage grease does not.

I used to strain it and keep it in a jar. We would use it for greasing cookie sheets,muffin pans, cooking eggs etc.

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #13
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Try bisquick drop biscuits! Super easy and hard to mess up!
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #14
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
That cracked me up!

I can't get past the part about it being basically pure fat.

But, I could try.
So are other fats. Olive oil, sunflower oil, and other things. You don't eat it with a spoon (though I think my dog would do very rude things to get you to let him! ). You seriously don't eat fat? Fat is needed (especially cholesterol) for cell repair. Your brain is mostly fat. You really do need fat to live. I actually increase my fat intake when I am TTC. Give the baby extra help.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #15
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

I use it to make a huge batch of refried beans and then freeze it in two cup portions in my freezer or freeze in tortillas for quick breakfasts for Dh
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #16
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

So yummy to grease your cast iron with it and bake corn bread. (Real corn bread not sweet johnny cake like jiffy.)

You can filter it and save it in the fridge. I'm guilty of doing that. In the south I often saw people just put it in a jelly jar or a metal container and leave it on the stove. I also use it for bean soup. But I happen to think that a little natural animal fat is good on occasion. Your body knows how to process it. (And kiddos need FAT to develop and grow.)

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #17
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Well If I had tons I'd pour some off, but biscuit gravy is the very first thing that comes to mind... mmmmm...
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #18
TJR2119
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've made pancakes in a pan that I fried bacon in so there was a little bit of grease in it. It was delicious!!!!
TJR2119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #19
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
So are other fats. Olive oil, sunflower oil, and other things. You don't eat it with a spoon (though I think my dog would do very rude things to get you to let him! ). You seriously don't eat fat? Fat is needed (especially cholesterol) for cell repair. Your brain is mostly fat. You really do need fat to live. I actually increase my fat intake when I am TTC. Give the baby extra help.
No, I totally DO eat fat. Fat is the reason I'm so healthy!

But, for some weird reason, animal fat just makes me

I drain the fat off meat when I cook it. I cut all the fat pcs off chicken before I cook it. I even cut the sliver of fat off steaks before I eat them.

Animal fat is just gross in my brain. Whereas olive oil, sunflower oil, etc. I know those are "fats" but they just aren't the same.

I have no clue why I think this way. It's strange, isn't it?
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #20
Steph Ed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What can't you do with it? Seasoning green beans (my favorite use) or any other vegetables, greasing muffin cups to bake muffins or cornbread, basically any recipe that calls for oil you can use it!!!
Steph Ed is offline   Reply With Quote