Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-06-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
kfair23
Registered Users
seller

Planning for the future Vba2c

So I just had my second c-section. The first was because DS had health problems and needed to have surgery when born. Second I tried for Vbac but went 5 days over due with gestational diabetes (both pregnancies).

So I have seen that some Mommas are having home births after c-sections. Can you do this after 2 c-sections? I am going to try my hardest to not get GD next pregnancy because I know that is a major factor to not being able to go too far overdue.

I want more than anything to have a vaginal birth and I know my OB will not do it after 2 c-sections. I have looked at Ican but the Canadian one doesnt have much information.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

kfair23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Planning for the future Vba2c

i'm curious what the size of your babies were at birth, and if your GD was controlled with diet or insulin pretty well? It seems like there are lots of different sets of standards for GD, so even if you do have it next time, it might not rule out a VBAC. My first doula client was 40, had GD, and 1.5 weeks overdue and still wasn't induced! Her baby was less than 8 pounds, so obviously she wasn't incubating a giant like some women with GD are accused of...
Some helpful and encouraging blogs are Mama Birth, Evidence-Based Birth, Birth Sense, and Midwife Thinking's blog. Also vbac-facts.com. Read up and start looking around for a supportive care provider; that is the hard part!
Old 11-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
kfair23
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
i'm curious what the size of your babies were at birth, and if your GD was controlled with diet or insulin pretty well? It seems like there are lots of different sets of standards for GD, so even if you do have it next time, it might not rule out a VBAC. My first doula client was 40, had GD, and 1.5 weeks overdue and still wasn't induced! Her baby was less than 8 pounds, so obviously she wasn't incubating a giant like some women with GD are accused of...
Some helpful and encouraging blogs are Mama Birth, Evidence-Based Birth, Birth Sense, and Midwife Thinking's blog. Also vbac-facts.com. Read up and start looking around for a supportive care provider; that is the hard part!
My first was 8lbs 5oz @ 38.5 weeks, second was 9lbs @ 40+5. My GD was diet controlled but I actually dont think I had it with my second (because I ate a whole bunch of cookies the night before). So I am hoping to eat really healthy and keep my weight down (I didnt gain over much each pregnancy) but yeah the hard part will be finding someone. It wont be easy unless I go out of my town I think. Thank you so much for the links!
kfair23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

My non GD hba2c baby was 9lbs 6oz! Its totally possible! You should look for a ND/midwife.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
kfair23
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607 View Post
My non GD hba2c baby was 9lbs 6oz! Its totally possible! You should look for a ND/midwife.
That's awesome! It's quite hard to find people in the area but I am going to try!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
scwendy
Registered Users
seller

Just KEEP looking and don't assume that a VBAC supportive provider will ONLY do a VBAC after 1 C/S. I also encourage you to check into any large teaching (university) hospitals that might be nearby.

I FINALLY e-mailed the director of women's and fetal medicine at a local research hospital, and we consulted just this Monday. She said they are willing to take me on provided I acknowledge any risks. She said that IF there were an emergency, they could have the baby out in under 15 minutes.

The advantage to such hospitals is that they have onsite OBs and anesthesiologists 24/7, so they are in a unique position to support what some may deem a riskier birth.

Oh, and I will be attempting a VBA4C this February. Maybe I WILL end up requiring a 5th C/S, but I am happy to get the chance to TRY with the knowledge that I have top notch emergency support should it come to that.

Good luck and don't give up!
scwendy is offline   Reply With Quote