Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #11
Made of Fleece
Registered Users
Formerly: cidcatrichards
seller

Re: AIO/ Pocket with inner gussets

I love these, very cute, love the gussets!

Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 04:23 AM   #12
BlackRose
Registered Users
seller

The ruffle is cute.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #13
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Great job!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #14
ssqueakert
Registered Users
seller
seller

Curious...for the outer PUL, how to you 'seal' the seam where the two different PUL fabrics meet (and where the ruffle is)? How do you keep it from wicking?
If the soaker were to lay wet directly against it, it seems like it could eep through the seam - I could be wrong though!!

I got a couple new remnants of PUL and am trying to summon up the ambition to sew a few more dipes to use! DD has pretty much outgrown her size smalls, but I don't have enough of my other fav dipes to to makes up for not using the smalls anymore.

=)

My ISO/IHA lists
ssqueakert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #15
crunchyNurseMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Cas***29
seller

I love this! Don't have a girl though
Making any with solid PUL & no ruffle?
crunchyNurseMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #16
olstep
Registered Users
Formerly: MyVeryBest
seller

Thank you!
You can also add an applique using any scrap of printed fabric you have. It doesn't have to be complicated to be cute.

To avoid seeping through fabric, add a scrap of PUL to the back of your ruffle or applique to cover the stitching area. The scrap will be as long as your stitching +SA and 2x the width of the area you want to cover (+SA). So that you can fold your scrap over and cover the stitching. Then stitch the edges of your scrap together.

It is how an embroidery is usually sealed. You may not need to do this to see a ruffle stitching.
I'd try it for one diaper but do not stitch the edges of the PUL scrap together (IF you have a pocket opening. If you do not, it will be too much hassle to reach inside if necessary). See if you have seeping. If you don't, you can do the rest of you ruffled diapers without that extra scrap of PUL. If you do have seeping, just finishing working on the PUL scrap. You may have to hand-stitch the edges if it is difficult to get access to do it with your sewing machine.
olstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #17
olstep
Registered Users
seller

ETA: if you stitch your ruffle to the seam connecting solid and printed PUL (like the pictures in the OP), you do not need to do anything extra to seal the ruffle. It is like W2W (solid for the diaper with print PUL for the tabs ans upper back). If you do not have problems with W2W diapers, adding a ruffle will make no difference.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #18
olstep
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokelush View Post
I'd love to see a tute, but I wouldn't ask you to do it just for me; I know they are a lot of work. lol. I've only done a few small turned/topstiched fitteds about 5 years ago. That was a pain b/c of the thick layers of the built-in soaker parts {I was sans serger at the time too}

Is it really cost effective you make your own diapers? I'd have to buy the PUL and sherpa/bamboo/whatever inners at JoAnns {drive an hour there and back - or order it}, altho' our Wmart has a few bolts of PUL now, but not the others. + snaps etc.
Or is it just that you can make them how you want them?
I make dresses for my 4.5yo granddaughter but it's not really cost effective - but I enjoy it and it's something different than what all the other kids have. lol. Are diapers the same pretty much?

Anyway, that diaper is soooo adorable! Makes me want to try it. I do have some of the free patterns that are out there...
Sorry, I missed this post.

Do I think it is cost effective to make your own diapers? I think it is more about enjoying the process and gratification to see the result.

Here is what to consider:
Let's say you have the lowest wage and make $60 a day. If you make diapers, you can make, let's say, 5 diapers a day. So one diaper would cost you $12 plus the cost of the materials. Is it how much you'd spend if you were to buy them?

It depends on your normal wage and the time it takes you to make a diaper.

ETA: I forgot to say that JoAnns or Walmart may not be the best source of PUL fabric. I'd find out about their return policy on de-laminated PUL first. You may end up spending more $$ and your time than if you buy on-line from a trusted cloth diaper supply store. FSOT is another option as long as the seller can tell you where they got their PUL.

As for the absorbent part you can get away with what you have on hand without spending extra. Just my 2c.

Last edited by olstep; 12-27-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #19
firemommaof1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just died a little over this diaper are you selling it?
Kai Grayson Arrived June 3 2014

Last edited by firemommaof1; 12-27-2012 at 11:12 AM.
firemommaof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #20
olstep
Registered Users
seller

This one is sold but I can make another one for next stocking. If you are interested, lmk and I'll send you a link when it is ready.