Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #11
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I buy 8th Continent soymilk b/c is is US grown and nonGMO. If I can't buy 8th Continent I buy Silk (North American soybeans). If I can't find either I buy store brand, but I just don't trust that they're not China soybeans (and their regulations are lesser than ours, both for pesticide use and environmental protection).

I usually get 8th Continent at Target b/c it's about 75 cents a carton cheaper than our local grocery store.

I cook with soymilk, but it does affect flavor and consistency in some recipes.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #12
LindsayMichelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you don't buy cows milk...best milk alternative?

We give our 11 month old almond milk and she drinks it. Didn't have to fight her to drink it either the first time. She loves the stuff!
LindsayMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #13
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

I buy coconut flakes in bulk & make my own milk, butter, kefir, etc.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:50 PM   #14
aemarques
Registered Users
seller

I've heard oat milk is one of the best/closest alternatives to cow milk. Hemp milk has a very strong earthy/grassy flavor, really wanted to like it but there was no way. Rice is very thin, and watery with little nutrition but it is plain, maybe good for recipes. Coconut almost always has some coconut flavor to it. Almond is good and decently close to cow milk IMO, but probably not good for milk based recipes, but make sure you are getting unsweetened, its the only milk ill eat with cereal. We try to stay far away from soy, plus I think it has a funky flavor too anyways.
aemarques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:17 AM   #15
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:

Did not read all the replies yet.

But, I have a love for canned coconut milk, the kind you will find on the Asian foods aisle and it is great for cooking and baking. We use it to make to die for tofu and dumplings, soups, cakes and breads of any kind.

The boxed kind (water mostly I think) in the cooler section is just not near as rich or wonderful as canned coconut milk. I also use it for things like thai coconut soup, and in creamy tomato soup. Just add a can of tomato soup, can coconut milk and some basil. It is rich and wonderful. You can also find cream of coconut, it is just more rich. I made a tres leches cake once using only coconut milks/cream - loved it.

tofu and dumplings

coconut cupcakes sub out coconut milk for sweetened condensed milk and water. I ended up using a can of coconut milk and a couple splashes of water to get the consistency I needed. I just used regular tub frosting and these were to die for yummy! I used egg replacer instead of eggs, btw.

I will be making more things with coconut milk soon like pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving and plan on making a creamy sauce with mushrooms over pasta. I sub out cup for cup where milk is called for, so far, the coconut milk has been incredibly good in everything I have made. I just discovered this love for all things coconut milk in the last six months.

I just don't cook much with almond milk, things don't come out as nicely as coconut milk, but I do like it for over cereal and a glass with a pbj. We use vanilla almond for those instances, but on the rare occasion I use it for cooking, I will use original almond unsweetened for savory things like mashed taters and sweetened vanilla almond for things like pancakes and waffles.

Last edited by Resellmybelle; 11-15-2012 at 01:37 AM.
Resellmybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:11 AM   #16
MarieSeeking
Registered Users
seller

We buy local, low temp pasteurized, non homogenized cow milk. You really can't compare it to regular "off the shelf" milk.
MarieSeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #17
MissyMia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kiddos drink Pacific soy milk (WIC supplied) and my dh and I drink store brand soy milk. I find the store brand better tasting and it is organic. We usually get vanilla for cereal and original for baking and cooking. My girls love the vanilla soymilk. I did a ton of research on the matter of soy and I feel comfortable with them drinking and eating soy products. I don't buy the highly processed soy meats, so I am ok with some soymilk, tempeh, and tofu.