Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #21
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do I do with all our milk? I'm really confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymom2b View Post
I have to ask, when do you find time to pump?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleDaffodil View Post
Where do you find the time, I feel like everytime i pump, my LO wakes up and wants to nurse.
I started pumping from day one. I was just pumping originally to relieve engorgement and build a small freezer supply. I never stopped. I was in awe at how much extra I could pump. I love that I can eat as much as I want to and still lose weight. They say everyone is good at something. This is my something and I'm going to make the most of it. My milk is super rich. It's always kept my kids in the 90+ percentile. I know it's valuable.

Anyhow, I pump twice a day. I pump once in the morning about an hour after I feed DD her first meal. She doesn't eat again for at least an hour after that. I pump again at night right before I go to bed. At that point DD has usually been down for the night an hour or so. Mostly, she sleeps through the night and I don't have to feed her until morning. Sometimes I have to get up with her once, but that's usually hours later. Occasionally, I sneak in a third session in the middle of the afternoon when DD is napping. She takes a good long nap (3-5 hours) every day. Lots of times I nap then too and I don't get a chance to pump. If I stay up though, I pump an hour or so after she goes down.

I pump around 20 extra ounces a day. Sometimes she eats more than usual and I only get 10 ounces. Sometimes I sneak in an extra session and I end up with 25 ounces when the day is done. I'm able to pump this much extra because I've trained my body to make this much milk. I don't think I could have built it up this much if I hadn't started from day one. It doesn't take me long to pump - 10 minutes at the most. I get a fast letdown because it's routine for my body to express that amount of milk at that time of day.

Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #22
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I never worry about not having enough milk to feed my daughter if she's hungry right after I pump. It's only happened a handful of times. When it happens, I just give her a bottle of the milk I just pumped. She takes a bottle just fine. She probably likes it better because she can control the flow. She often gets frustrated because I kind of have an overactive letdown.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #23
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That really is awesome mama. Pumping exclusively was super easy for me, I could bottle and pump at the same time and I was a milk factory. Having an oversupply this time was a big relief since I could barely produce enough to give DS1 half his nutrition as BM (had to pump for him for 8 months). When I finally got DS2 to the breast I was going to wean from the pump gradually but he has been nursing like a newbie! Plus I really need to reduce my supply so I can stop gagging and choking him while he eats but mentally its really hard. I figure since I can't donate I realy don't NEED to pump anyways since I have 1300oz frozen. To an EPer that's about 1 to 1.5 months so it should be a good insurance policy. But I feel so guilty for not being able to donate, my friend needed milk a few weeks bad and it killed me to not be able to help her.

Being able to comfortably pump somuch while nursing is amazing mama, and you've given an amazing gift!

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #24
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Because it's not the easiest thing to stumble across, I wanted to provide the Human Milk Banking Association of North America (HMBANA) milk bank website. This is for NICU babies, and they are collection sites that re-distribute around the country. If you live in a part of the country without a HMBANA site, many of these sites accept mailed donations (they'll send you an insulated box, you fill it with >=250 oz plus some dry ice from places like the grocery store's meat counter, and they pay for you to ship it back). If your closest site won't accept mailed donations, they'll connect you with the closest site that does.

https://www.hmbana.org/milk-bank-locations

The milk must have been pumped before baby is 1 year old. How many months ago the milk is allowed to have been pumped depends on a few things, such as how fast they are turning over (from what I've heard, it's currently quite fast, so many are able to take milk up to 7 months old, in the deep freeze).

Yes, theoretically they charge for the milk. But it's something like $3.50/ounce (to cover the processing fees), NICU babies aren't drinking a lot (a couple ounces a day at most?), it's been tested to be safe, the babies need it, and often fees will be waived.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #25
cathplyr
Registered Users
seller

you need to keep it all for your baby. she is way too young for you to donate it. she needs all of it. If you have not used it when she is ready to wean then donate. you just never know what life brings. you could be sick and on medicine (and have "contaminated milk") and she will need that freezer milk. you could have an emergency in the family and need to leave her with someone. your supply could diminish. you could suddenly have financial issues and need to work. she could get teeth early and start biting you and you may need it. life is so uncertain. yes be very very possessive of it. lol
cathplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #26
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

My dd is 18months now, but when she was a newbie I was pumping and donating my extra to a friend of my MIL. It was a funny/odd connection but they were a very sweet couple and I was happy to help. :-)

All this talk of pumping and donating makes me miss those days. ::swoon::

Especially the snuggly newborn part.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:48 AM   #27
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathplyr
you need to keep it all for your baby. she is way too young for you to donate it. she needs all of it. If you have not used it when she is ready to wean then donate. you just never know what life brings. you could be sick and on medicine (and have "contaminated milk") and she will need that freezer milk. you could have an emergency in the family and need to leave her with someone. your supply could diminish. you could suddenly have financial issues and need to work. she could get teeth early and start biting you and you may need it. life is so uncertain. yes be very very possessive of it. lol
I had to "cold turkey" wean my dd at 15 months so I could go on some medication. We tried for several weeks to nurse while I was taking it but she had an allergic reaction to it. :-(

I had stopped pumping when she was around 11/12 months so I had long run through my freezer stash. I hadn't ever thought of storing it up for her in case I needed to wean. I'll definitely keep that in mind though for baby #3.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #28
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathplyr View Post
I have worried about this. When I handed over most of my freezer stash, I worried about what would happen if I died in a car accident on the way home. I kept back 50oz, but I think I'm going to keep back more than that from now on. I feel confident in that I pump an extra 20+ ounces a day. It's going to be easy to build it back up. I still worry about the what ifs. Thank you for posting this.

Just how much of a baseline stash should I keep? Anyone have a suggestion? I know 800oz is about the maximum I can store without having to buy another freezer. I'd like to avoid buying another freezer at this point.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #29
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twood80 View Post
Because it's not the easiest thing to stumble across, I wanted to provide the Human Milk Banking Association of North America (HMBANA) milk bank website. This is for NICU babies, and they are collection sites that re-distribute around the country. If you live in a part of the country without a HMBANA site, many of these sites accept mailed donations (they'll send you an insulated box, you fill it with >=250 oz plus some dry ice from places like the grocery store's meat counter, and they pay for you to ship it back). If your closest site won't accept mailed donations, they'll connect you with the closest site that does.

https://www.hmbana.org/milk-bank-locations

The milk must have been pumped before baby is 1 year old. How many months ago the milk is allowed to have been pumped depends on a few things, such as how fast they are turning over (from what I've heard, it's currently quite fast, so many are able to take milk up to 7 months old, in the deep freeze).

Yes, theoretically they charge for the milk. But it's something like $3.50/ounce (to cover the processing fees), NICU babies aren't drinking a lot (a couple ounces a day at most?), it's been tested to be safe, the babies need it, and often fees will be waived.
Thanks for the link & info! I actually just left my number with the Mother's Milk Bank of Iowa. They supply all Iowa NICUs and provide milk to babies who have a doctor's prescription for it. The hospital I had both of my babies at is a drop-off site. That's super convenient for me. They also supply containers, which rocks because I go through bags like water. I'm going to get registered as a donor with them.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #30
Lovinfluffybuns
Registered Users

There is a facebook page "Human Milk for Human Babies (state)" Just search withj your state in the title they hook you up with mamas in need in your area, you can personally get to know the family or just donate the milk so its great either way.
Lovinfluffybuns is offline   Reply With Quote