Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
Jedimomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
A home birth or birth center would probably be your best option. it would cost you less and they are generally more willing to work out a payment plan. I know with mine we made smaller payments through out the pregnancy and as long as we had it paid in full by 34 weeks, they were happy . They were super sweet and very easy to work with (unlike insurance companies and most doctors I've dealt with)

Advertisement

I love TRADES!
Jedimomma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
togetherinthelandofoz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Insurance doesn't cover prenatal or maternity care...what are my options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimomma View Post
A home birth or birth center would probably be your best option. it would cost you less and they are generally more willing to work out a payment plan. I know with mine we made smaller payments through out the pregnancy and as long as we had it paid in full by 34 weeks, they were happy . They were super sweet and very easy to work with (unlike insurance companies and most doctors I've dealt with)
Did you use the one in Harrisonburg? I'm about an hour from Richmond, Chantilly & Charlottesville so I'm looking into the birthing centers there. Do you known anything about those or any others close to Fredericksburg?

OliviaZachariahIsabella Psalm 139:13-14
togetherinthelandofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
Jedimomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Oh cool! You're close by! Lol

Yeah, I used the one in harrisonburg (brookhaven). I'm not sure about any in those areas, but I'll do some asking around and see what I can find out.

I love TRADES!
Old 11-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #14
togetherinthelandofoz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Oh cool! You're close by! Lol

Yeah, I used the one in harrisonburg (brookhaven). I'm not sure about any in those areas, but I'll do some asking around and see what I can find out.
That would be great, thanks! We got to visit Harrisonburg this summer and went to an awesome playground/park there. It had all kinds of playground equipment. I don't remember what it was called, but we spent hours there and the kids loved it!

Old 11-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #15
Jedimomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It was probably Dream Come True play ground (all rainbow colors). Thats just up the road from me... Its awesome! It actually got started as a girl scout project. Everything there is handicap accessible, do its a place for kids of all abilities to play together. Very cool! Anyway, that was really ot. Lol still waiting to hear back from some friends on the birth center thing.

I love TRADES!
Old 11-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #16
togetherinthelandofoz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
It was probably Dream Come True play ground (all rainbow colors). Thats just up the road from me... Its awesome! It actually got started as a girl scout project. Everything there is handicap accessible, do its a place for kids of all abilities to play together. Very cool! Anyway, that was really ot. Lol still waiting to hear back from some friends on the birth center thing.
That's it! Totally off topic but so much fun to connect! Thanks again

Old 11-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #17
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, dependent on income you might qualify for pregnancy insurance. We didn't qualify for medicaid normally, but I was able to get FAMIS for pregnancy, and the baby is covered until 1 year of age.
The only thing about that is that I wanted a birth center or homebirth (had a homebirth), and the insurance wouldn't cover it, so I ended up paying OOP after all. The birth and prenatal care was only 3600$, though, so still cheaper than paying for insurance.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #18
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by togetherinthelandofoz View Post
Did you use the one in Harrisonburg? I'm about an hour from Richmond, Chantilly & Charlottesville so I'm looking into the birthing centers there. Do you known anything about those or any others close to Fredericksburg?
There is a Birth Center in Charlottesville called The Birthing Place. The midwife there was my midwife at my homebirth. She was really great. The other midwife that was there is from the valley area, I think. My midwife I think is also from Staunton area, from what I understand. I think that there are also midwives at August Health, but I don't know any of them personally.

There is another local midwife who just does home births. Her business is Nine Moons Midwifery, and her name is Debbie Wong. I have heard great things about her, and I have talked to her many times. She was a doula and then trained to be a midwife, and works as both now.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #19
mom22sofar
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am Canadian so please excuse my ignorance but if you pay out of pocket and are unfortunate to need a c/s or baby needs nicu what happens? Is baby covered by your other insurance?
Old 11-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #20
togetherinthelandofoz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom22sofar View Post
I am Canadian so please excuse my ignorance but if you pay out of pocket and are unfortunate to need a c/s or baby needs nicu what happens? Is baby covered by your other insurance?
For us, the c/s would be out of pocket but other medical issues not directly connected to the pregnancy would be covered by our policy. Once baby is born it is covered on the policy for any medical needsnicu/nicu