Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Registered Users
When to stop?

I don't EP, but do a fair bit of pumping as I work full time. At what point do you find that it is not "worth it" to keep pumping? Do you personally keep pumping as long as you are getting *something* or do you stop when you're only getting an ounce or two total per session?

My goals for DD (7.5 months) are no formula ever and to give her BM as long as possible. I'd like to continue our BF relationship into the first year as long as my production cooperates. I hoping to stop pumping by a year though. And maybe start dropping pumps now (I'm doing 3 times a 12 hour work day currently). I have definitely noticed a drop in my pumping output, but haven't had any issues with DD not being satisfied when we BF directly. I do have a reasonable freezer stash (about 1300 ounces) that I am currently still adding to rather than using up (albeit I'm not adding very much anymore). If I'm still able to BF when we are together, that amount will last for at least 3-4 months at daycare if I stopped pumping at all.

At this stage is it likely my supply is well enough established that dropping a pump wouldn't really impact the amount that is available for DD when she BFs (I don't really care if my supply drops a few ounces for pumping)? Would you drop the lowest producing pump or the mid-way through the day pump?

IowaGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: When to stop?

I stopped pumping at 8 months and breastfed until 12 months. I had a freezer stash that lasted until 10 months. Then we only nursed a few times a day. We did use a little formula. My goal this time is the same as yours. I'm starting the freezer stash now (LO is 8 days old). And I hope to make it to 12 months again, with no formula this time!
WOHM and to Jon (6/2006). Mamma to daughter Elli (12/2009) and Jacob (11/2012) Crazy Florida Gator fan , beach bum, and outdoor enthusiast!
Van1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: When to stop?

IDK, but I have the same goals. I WOH and with both the boys I couldn't pump after 7 months. I just didn't get anything, Maybe a .5 ounce at each session. DS1 was on formual sooner as I didn't have that big of a freezer stash built up.

This time i am going in with the goal of 8 months. One month longer than DS2 and would like to be able to not use any of my freezer stash for as long as possible in the hopes I can make it to a year.

I will not stress if I have to give formula nor feel guilty.
wife and mom-- no other special labels. Just trying to do the best I can.
Nerissa is offline   Reply With Quote