Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you handle requests to Santa?

Throughout the year when my daughter will ask for something I tell her to put it on her 'xmas list'. I will get her something that she mentions from the list. I would also tell her that santa makes the final decision if I needed to.

Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #12
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We just talked to DS about making his list this year. He asked for 3 things last year and they were pretty outlandish so we had to work to make them happen. Like a 5 eyed purple alien. Luckily it looked like a pillow so I made it for him. I think this year he'll ask for more mainstream stuff
MrsStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #13
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Am I the only one that doesn't ask for a list? I never confirm or deny santa's existence, and I never go out of my way to make him real, but I still end up doing santa. we do the solstice for their main gifts, but now we are celebrating st. Nicks day on xmas instead, so he really only brings a chocolate letter, some dutch licorice and a trinket that can fit in a wooden shoe. They LOVE putting out reindeer food and milk and cookies and I feel like I would be a terrible mom if "santa" didn't eat them.

Even when we celebrated plain ol' xmas the normal way, we never addressed any gifts from santa, or did lists. The kids were content just to see an empty milk glass and a bite out of a cookie. I know what they like, so I don't need a list and I feel like having them ask and expect is only going to form bad habits. Maybe I'm just a scrooge.
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #14
kaimon
Registered Users
seller

You're probably not the only one no.

But I like the requests. I don't always know exactly what they want, and they don't always want what *I* would like them to enjoy. i.e. DD is very girly girl. I struggle with accepting her interests for what they are and wanting to throw in other items simply because they are not so gender specific. So I do like requests because I can at times make suggestions like pps mentioned to see how the suggestion goes over. If I get a receptive response I know it's more likely to be played with than if I randomly choose something to try to diversify her interests. Does that makes sense?

We also don't watch TV with ads or take them to toys stores often so there generally aren't spontaneous "I want this!" comments if we don't sit down and make a list. We usually look things up online while making the lists.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #15
maddys_mama
Registered Users

My Mood:
I've had discussions with our 5 year old about this. She asked for really reasonable items (a play tent and two stuffed animals) but that was after asking for a real unicorn and a live pet dolphin. We discussed how Santa considers what she says she'd like, but he also talks with mommy and daddy in case there are things we think she'd like better that she hadn't thought of. She was fine with that!
Old 11-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #16
MaryInPinedale
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We don't have TV so my kids don't see many commercials to get ideas for Christmas. They make up stuff that they believe Santa and his elves can make. This year my 4 yo DS has asked for a suction cup spider man suit so he can climb on walls and ceiling like spiderman. I have no idea where he got this idea, he has never seen a show with spiderman in it. They know they don't get everything they ask for, and I do guide them a little bit towards things I plan on buying.
MaryInPinedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #17
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmoni247
Am I the only one that doesn't ask for a list? I never confirm or deny santa's existence, and I never go out of my way to make him real, but I still end up doing santa. we do the solstice for their main gifts, but now we are celebrating st. Nicks day on xmas instead, so he really only brings a chocolate letter, some dutch licorice and a trinket that can fit in a wooden shoe. They LOVE putting out reindeer food and milk and cookies and I feel like I would be a terrible mom if "santa" didn't eat them.

Even when we celebrated plain ol' xmas the normal way, we never addressed any gifts from santa, or did lists. The kids were content just to see an empty milk glass and a bite out of a cookie. I know what they like, so I don't need a list and I feel like having them ask and expect is only going to form bad habits. Maybe I'm just a scrooge.
We don't ask the kids to do a list. But after August if the kids see something in a store or magazine the want we tell them to put it on their Christmas list. This allows them to ask for it and have some hope they might get it someday. I don't write the stuff down but keep tabs on what gets mentioned the most.

Closer to Christmas they start circling stuff in toy catalogs (they each have their own color to circle with). They know they aren't getting all that stuff but they sure have fun dreaming for a bit on a cold and dreary afternoon (I put the magazines up and dig them out when they need done distraction).
Rhianna'sMommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #18
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When we are out and about, and my kids start in on the "I want this" I just say, "Ask Santa." We go see Santa and ride the Polar Express in December, and they get to ask him on the Polar Express.

But that doesn't mean they get what they asked for.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #19
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller

This year my oldest has already started quite the list. He told me Santa will buy him anything.

I asked him how many boys and girls Santa takes presents to. He kinda thought for a minute and said that he takes them to a lot of kids. So I told him that Santa has a budget so he can takes toys to all the boys and girls. I don't want to crush his dreams, but I also don't want him to get his hopes up for something that just isn't possible.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:39 PM   #20
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

This year DS1 is old enough to write, so he wrote a letter. More of a list, but we are calling it a letter and mailing it (tomorrow!), as that was his intention. On it he asked for "signs" as in a slow/stop construction flagger sign, a bike to ride in the house, a book, and "walkie" for walkie talkies to go with the dress-up police costumes that I made the boys last year. I already bought new walkie talkies for them, because the cheapo ones that I gave them last year with the costumes are already in a landfill somewhere, along with their 13 miscellaneous broken parts... Anyway, he was sneaky and found the walkie talkies, but he doesn't know that I know that, so I am going to wait until well after Christmas when they are long forgotten to give them to him (lesson: don't be sneaky or you won't get the treasures you find). J am making him the stop/slow sign, I have a book about knights that I found at Goodwill for him, and I got a plasma car for him on eBay new for $37. So yeah, he's getting everything he asked for (except the walkie talkies). My younger son said he is going to ask Santa for "baby toys for the baby and a bike for Brother to ride inside". It took some prodding, but I finally got him to say that he wants "toys" for himself. Gotta love generosity! I found a used wooden castle for him and I am on the hunt for a couple of knights to go with it, used if possible. The boys already have a few knights so I just want a couple to make it a set for Christmas morning. He is also getting a new TykeLight - which DS1 said he wanted to ask Santa for - because his other one is busted and it really does help at bedtime.

We don't have cable TV and we don't do characters or licensed stuff of any kind, so it helps keep costs down and allows for more open-ended stuff. I am not a "give them everything they ask for" parent, but DH and I do what we can afford, what is reasonable, and what makes sense. DS1's requests were completely reasonable, and already in the works anyway. I shop year-round and everything they get is thrifted, used, handmade, or on sale. There will be nothing under the tree or on the mantel that is in packaging - we just don't do that! And, Santa doesn't wrap gifts, so with the little ones who don't have expressed "wishes", Santa tends to "bring" the gifts that are impossible to wrap! We use fabric gift wrap here too, which saves my sanity and is also budget-friendly.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote