Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #21
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Am I wrong in thinking that this is a bit much...teacher gift question

I would just respond that you had already bought something. I'll bet that they aren't intending to buy the iPad...just make it nicer when the teacher goes to buy her own iPad.

Our preschool group gift was typically $20-30 per child. However, it usually went to buy something for the classroom. Most of the moms bought the teacher a gift on top of it, though we were specifically told that we didn't need to.

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 11-19-2012 at 04:05 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #22
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

You certainly can say 'I already had something for her!' and just give your gift.
or, if you were going to get her a $10 gift card for somewhere else, just make it to Target and participate.

I don't think it's out of line for another parent to try and organize a gift for a teacher. Certainly a big gift would be better than a lot of smaller ones over the course of a teaching career. It would be one thing if they were like 'we're buying this and your fee is this much' because no one should be able to dictate to you how much you spend. But if they are just asking if you'd like to contribute.. well, you were already planning on getting her a gift card - does it matter to you if you get one to Target instead of Starbucks?

We never did teacher gifts - this is a new thing. And 3 gifts a year is a lot if you ask me. I think they deserve it - most certainly - they deserve all sorts of wonderful things for being teachers. But, not if it impacts your family budget in a harsh way.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #23
Done at 3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would just say I had already purchased part of the teachers gift that I had intended to add a restaurant type gift card too and I'll be happy to make it a target gift card instead.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #24
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Id reply saying that I'd already bought her something. You shouldnt have to explain beyond that
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #25
Queen_Celeste
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah I would say, I already had the gift planned, but I will change the gift card to one for Target. $500 gift for a preschool teacher? Really? HA! FYI some schools have explicit rules on teacher gifts. At my DD's preschool the specify something that can be used in the classroom like a book. That is really the example. Not a gift card to anywhere let alone one that costs so much.
Queen_Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #26
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't see the problem. It's not likely that with a class that small there will be enough to get all the way to ipad-dome, but there's nothing wrong with giving the teacher a start. If the message had left off the part about the ipad and she had just said to send in Target gift cards and she had chosen to give $30, would you have the same reaction?

The fact that you just got her a birthday gift is kind of moot. Sure, it impacts your personal budget, but it's just the way that events happen to fall.

It's common practice here for the room mom to help organize the gift giving so that parents can pool resources and provide the teacher with a useful gift. Usually for preschool (private here) we send in actual money and then the room mom purchases one gift certificate to somewhere. In public school, we have a $25 limit per student and it cannot be in the form of cash.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #27
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillymama View Post
I wouldn't have a problem with that one bit. Like PP said, just do the $10 gift card to Target instead of Panera or Starbucks. Or forgo the candy and add that money to it too. I much prefer to give a gift that will be used than more stuff.
First of all, I'm already impressed OP with the gift you have picked out. A personalized mug, candy, AND a gift card? That is very generous. This is my first year with a kid in PreK and that would put my Oreo balls to shame. I would just do like PP suggested and switch out the $10 giftcard you planned on getting with a $10 Target one and call it good - I'm sure the teacher will be happy either way.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:49 PM   #28
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

seems to me if everyone would be willing to pitch in the $10-20 they were planning on spending anyway why not get her an ipad
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:38 AM   #29
mjg2043
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I don't see a problem either. In fact I think it's a great idea and an tempted to suggest the same for my kids teachers. An iPad is not $500 and could be a great addition to the classroom.

I love when the school asks for donations and then divides the money up per teacher. They probably prefer the cash and get a lot more that way.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:48 AM   #30
katengrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The cheapest iPad is $400, so that would be $35 per student. More than I have to give times 4 teachers.
And let me also point out this is not for classroom use...it is for her own personal use.
Like I said earlier, I don't have a problem chipping in for a common gift...it's the fact that it is an expectation that I give a certain amount.