Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2012, 04:51 AM   #31
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Re: Am I wrong in thinking that this is a bit much...teacher gift question

Wow, you spend a lot of teacher gifts! What in the world will you do when they have 6 teachers in middle and high school times 3 kids? haha

A thermos and candy seems like enough to me. I probably wouldn't even add the giftcard. Let the room mom know that you already got her something. The mani/pedi gift card (WOW!) that was so generous of you for her birthday! While I homeschool, I do give gifts to my oldest son's therapists that cost around $10 or less... some years I've done a Burt's Bees Hand Set and other years I've just baked bread and jam and added in some chai tea packets. It really should be the thought!

My Dad is a teacher and while he does get a ton of treats from kids (he tends to save the wrapped candy for treats for the kids as incentives and then he takes home the homemade and really nice quality for the family), he also gets giftcards and whatnot. He never expects anything though and is always surprised by how many parents think of him! My brother is a principle and he is the same way. They feel blessed by anything. I'm sure your kiddo's teacher will feel the same.

Advertisement

raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #32
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

It sounds like the teacher was not involved in this at all, so I don't really understand the people saying she is "entitled." I am sure that teacher would be perfectly happy with a mug and candy. If you already have her gift finished, there is nothing wrong with just giving it to her. If you haven't already gotten the gift card you were planning to get, why is it so horrible to make it to Target instead of Starbucks? The room mom was in no way saying anyone was forced to participate, or that anyone had to give anymore than they were comfortable with.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #33
kanga1622
Registered Users

DH is a preK teacher and gets small gifts from about 10% of his students. Usually something along the lines of a candy bar, soda, or something small the kids made (he LOVED the shrinky dink necklace with his name printed on it - wore it for over a year before the string broke).

I say go ahead with what you were planning to give. Teachers should not (and in my experience DO NOT) expect gifts. A nicely worded Thank You card with some heartfelt emotion or funny story about the kids is always appreciated.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #34
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanga1622 View Post
DH is a preK teacher and gets small gifts from about 10% of his students. Usually something along the lines of a candy bar, soda, or something small the kids made (he LOVED the shrinky dink necklace with his name printed on it - wore it for over a year before the string broke).

I say go ahead with what you were planning to give. Teachers should not (and in my experience DO NOT) expect gifts. A nicely worded Thank You card with some heartfelt emotion or funny story about the kids is always appreciated.
Completely off topic, but why do men make such awesome pre-school teachers?! We have one male teacher at dd's school and his is seriously the best teacher there by far.
s@hmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #35
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've never experience having a room mom, but no I wouldn't think you would have to contribute more than you wanted to toward the gift. It would be smart of the room mom to go the other way, collect the $$ and then see what nice thing she can get.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #36
MyPerfectLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by katengrace
The cheapest iPad is $400, so that would be $35 per student. More than I have to give times 4 teachers.
And let me also point out this is not for classroom use...it is for her own personal use.
Like I said earlier, I don't have a problem chipping in for a common gift...it's the fact that it is an expectation that I give a certain amount.
For personal use? . I was thinking for the classroom, in which case it seems like a great idea.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DS Forum
Abby, SAHM mom to Maddy (10), Benny (7), Annie (3.5),and Joshy (1). Wife to my traveling hub for 11 years! Almost FT student (2nd time around). My life is not perfect, but I keep telling myself if I say it enough I will believe it!
MyPerfectLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #37
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our school district has class sets of iPads (though they are ThinkPads instead) for all K-3rd grade classrooms. They are easier for kids to manipulate than computers.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #38
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPerfectLife View Post
For personal use? . I was thinking for the classroom, in which case it seems like a great idea.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DS Forum
Why does a teacher gift have to directly be applied to her students? Do you only accept housekeeping or parenting related gifts and return anything that is just for you?
Old 11-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #39
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies View Post
Wow, you spend a lot of teacher gifts! What in the world will you do when they have 6 teachers in middle and high school times 3 kids? haha

A thermos and candy seems like enough to me. I probably wouldn't even add the giftcard. Let the room mom know that you already got her something. The mani/pedi gift card (WOW!) that was so generous of you for her birthday! While I homeschool, I do give gifts to my oldest son's therapists that cost around $10 or less... some years I've done a Burt's Bees Hand Set and other years I've just baked bread and jam and added in some chai tea packets. It really should be the thought!

My Dad is a teacher and while he does get a ton of treats from kids (he tends to save the wrapped candy for treats for the kids as incentives and then he takes home the homemade and really nice quality for the family), he also gets giftcards and whatnot. He never expects anything though and is always surprised by how many parents think of him! My brother is a principle and he is the same way. They feel blessed by anything. I'm sure your kiddo's teacher will feel the same.
Right! I admit, $10-15 gift cards are a stretch for our family. Especially with a VPK'er with 2 teachers, and my special needs kindergartener with 2 teachers, 1 resource, and 4 specials teachers. I do DIY/Pinterest type gifts.

And as someone who works in the classroom, I agree and don't expect anything and am very humbled whenever any of our students give, especially because we are a statistically "poor" school with 98% free and reduced lunch.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #40
laila
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This whole thread bothers me. I'm a teacher and have worked in many different kinds of districts. In one district, we had room parents and the teachers were given many gifts. They were organized by the room parent or individual parents, and we were never involved in requesting or asking for gifts. I just always thought it was sweet of anyone to think of us. I now work in a very impoverished area, and we are lucky to get a piece of candy from a student, and when I do, I feel just as grateful to be thought of. It really doesn't matter what you give a teacher, but the wonderful thing is that you show that they are thought of.
This poor teacher probably has no idea what is going on behind the scenes, and she is being made out to be a greedy person here. Shame on everyone for even thinking that. She gives her all every day for those children, and in no way, made it a personal request, to receive a gift. I think it is sweet of the room parent to have asked or caught on that she desired a ipad, and if she is wanting to help make that happen then good for her. Teachers spend a ton, don't even ask, of money on their students and classroom. I make it a point to buy my own kids' teachers good gifts each year because of all that they do, but in no way, do they expect it. I just want them to know how much we appreciate what they do. Teaching is not a 8-3 job; we take work home in the evenings and weekends, and I've been known to grade on the commute to work in the morning (hubby driving of course). It takes a lot of time out of our own family time. Appreciation doesn't have to be monetary. A sweet note or a student's drawing are all ways to show the love. Just show love, and quit acting like it is horrible that anyone would request you chip in to get a teacher a gift. Nobody is required to chip in. If you don't want to, then don't. AND who cares if she wants it for home or school. That's ridiculous. Would you gift your hairdresser or doctor only something they could use in their place of work?