Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2012, 05:14 AM   #1
Ashlynnray
Registered Users
seller

BF with a stomach virus

This is more of a rant than anything. We have a terrible stomach bug at our house. Everyone, including LO was throwing up yesterday. I felt fine, until about 1 this morning. This is one time I wish DH could give LO a bottle so I could just sleep. I'm engorged because LO wouldn't eat much yesterday. I just don't know what to do to help us all feel better....

Advertisement

Ashlynnray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Re: BF with a stomach virus

Poor everyone!!!

Are you throwing up? Or just feel sick and weak?

If you aren't up to it, trying pumping and having someone else feed through a bottle when he/she can. If LO doesn't want to eat, it's OK - as long as there are no signs of dehydration (lack of tears, moisture in eyes/mouth, sunken eyes, no wet diapers).

Do you have a hands-free pumping bra that will make the pumping much easier?
expaik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Poor everyone!!!

Are you throwing up? Or just feel sick and weak?

If you aren't up to nursing, trying pumping and having someone else feed through a bottle when he/she can. If LO doesn't want to eat, it's OK - as long as there are no signs of dehydration (lack of tears, moisture in eyes/mouth, sunken eyes, no wet diapers).

Do you have a hands-free pumping bra that will make the pumping much easier?
expaik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am sorry you are sick. I had a stomach bug that last 3 days about a month ago and while no throwing up I had fever, chills, ect. My supply dipped and DD nursed a ton and was super fussy.

It did get better. Maybe pump if you feel more like it to help with the engorgement.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

That sucks. we had Norovirus go through our house when DS was about 8 months old. I would pump if you feel up to it so your supply doesn't suffer and make sure you keep drinking LOTS of water & electrolyte replacements. Feel better soon!
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

If you can, have your DH bring him/her to you so you can nurse side-lying, then take the baby back to play or whatever with him so you can rest.

I had food poisoning when my DD was 4 months old and I stayed in bed (when I wasn't throwing up) and DH just brought her to me when she seemed to want to nurse.

Your supply will probably be fine long-term--it should bounce back when you're feeling better and baby is nursing normally. The engorgement is uncomfortable, for sure. Can you hand express to ease the pressure?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
Ashlynnray
Registered Users
seller

My mom was here to help all day so that was good. I took a warm bath and just waited through letdown and I was more comfortable. LO seems fine today and is keeping everything down, lots of runny poo though. I'm just hoping I can sleep the rest of this off tonight. It's horrible.
Ashlynnray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #8
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

We literally just got over the same thing. My 3yo had it for 4 days, me for maybe 48 hours, and poor 6mo is going on day 8 but the diarrhea is just about firmed up.

When YDD first got sick I was engorged bc she ate less. Then I got sick and my supply tanked way down. It's still rebuilding, which I desperately need it to bc DD needs to rehydrate. I'm having trouble letting down too.

So, I wish you better luck than me. I recommend drinking lots of water no matter how yucky you feel (I didn't drink enough). And if you can't eat, just try a bite of bland food every 20 minutes. The easiest thing for me to eat was a cold nutrition-packed smoothie while in a hot bath. Again, I know how much it sucks!
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
kdzb243
Registered Users
seller

Stay hydrated yourself, nurse in bed if you can, and sleep when possible. Hope you get better soon! Being sick when your babies are sick is no fun!
kdzb243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

oh, that's a tough one. Hard to see the end when you're in it. Hang in there- sounds like you're almost through!

As someone mentioned above, I have DH bring baby (has happened with both more than once each) to me and somehow we make it though. I have DH help me sit/prop up a bit and stay with me for the times I'm not sure I trust myself not to pass out. I find it too hard to pump at times like that but try anything once to see what works.
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote