Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #21
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: The battle of the bulge

Personally, 49f isnt that cold. I wouldn't wear a jacket at that temp, so I wouldn't expect my kids to either. I always tell them to, but drop it if they refuse. If they complain about being cold I remind them that it was their choice not to wear a jacket and then tune them out as they continue to whine, lol.

stuff a jacket into his bag so he has it if he changed his mind...then let it go.

Advertisement

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #22
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
The harder you push the harder he will push back. My daughter hates winter clothing and we live in Canada it is currently 9F here and even colder with windchill. The two of us sat down and decide together at what temperature she would wear certain things. She most wear a coat/jacket/sweater when it is 10C or below. When it hits 0C it must be a winter coat and toque, she often compromises and wears her ear muffs and jacket hood. I send snow pants to school, she chose if she wear them or not. Mittens are also a her choice kind of deal.
I think by allowing them to have some say in the decision process it takes away the fight, all they want is control.
If my daughter argues I send her to check the weather, if she argues further she gets a consequence
Old 11-22-2012, 07:05 AM   #23
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The schools here require a jacket be worn for recesses if it is 50 or less. So, he'd have to have one for school, but he could just take it in his backpack.
But as for just getting out of the house, I don't fight with our kids. If they're cold, they'll wear a coat. If they're not, they won't. If they choose not to and then get cold, they learn to wear or take along one.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #24
TinyHineyDiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
You sound just like me! We are in New England and my 6 yo ds never wants a coat. We went out tonight and I was freezing in a winter coat but he was warm in just a sweatshirt. I've given up with fighting with him but I make him at least put on a hoodie.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #25
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

I don't fight it, my 4 year old HATES coats/mitts/etc. I make sure she has a hat and gloves in her bag and she has to bring a coat.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:22 AM   #26
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

My 5 year old DD doesn't like to wear a jacket, but my 2.5 year old does because she gets cold easily. I could be wearing a long sleeve shirt, hoodie, and down jacket, and my 5 year old is perfectly fine in a long sleeve shirt.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #27
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I guess 50F is warm to him because he's begun wearing a coat now that it's 40F. Battle over. He's just very hot blooded. I have put a fleece jacket in his backpack though, just in case. DH said the bus driver has been saying "Winter coats tomorrow! It's cold!" but DS never caved in until late last week.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #28
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonli View Post
I guess 50F is warm to him because he's begun wearing a coat now that it's 40F. Battle over. He's just very hot blooded. I have put a fleece jacket in his backpack though, just in case. DH said the bus driver has been saying "Winter coats tomorrow! It's cold!" but DS never caved in until late last week.
Yay! I am a weirdo about the cold and constantly overdress (according to DH) the boys, mostly because I was raised in GA and now being in New England I am always cold.

My oldest fights jackets but I got him the Katahdin overcoat from LL Bean last year and it is really warm but also thin. He just hates the bulk, especially around the arms.
kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote