Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Bullying school bus monitor

First want to say of course I have not seen anything personally as I am not on he bus. I am heading it all from my 13 yo dd and 9 yo ds. My kids have been periodically coming home with stories about the bus monitor. She apparently is verbally bullying the kids. For example some of the kids boarded the bus at one school. Apparently the monitor felt they were being to noisy. Not all but most. So after the rest of the kids from the other school got on she told them all those who had been noisy wouldn't get to talk. She made exeptions for several she felt were not being noisy. The children pointed out someone who had just gotten on and hadn't been noisy asking if this boy could talk. She then according to my children went to him and started saying things like You want to talk? Who are you going to talk to? There isn't anyone for you to talk to. Go ahead and talk to yourself.

She decided my daughter couldn't sit next to her friend because she says they are too noisy. When the friend stops to see where my dd is she is then not allowed to sit where she wants.

She has the younger kids chant loudly to the older kids ,"Be quiet. Be quiet." over and over again. There is more but I cannot remember it all right now.

Anyway the kids decided to get a petition going to get a different monitor. This back fired on them. Not only has nothing changed the monitor is now mad at them. She informed them it could be worse for them.

I am trying to get ahold of the principal or the superintendent but have only been able to leave a message on a machine so far.

Until something can be done can I legally send a recorder with my dd on the bus to monitor what is happening? I realize the monitor must be told she is being recorded but perhaps knowing this she will behave better.

She has done other things throughout the school year. My daughter frequently comes home in tears. She is a good kid. Doesn't get into trouble at school. Is in TAG and the school art club as well. She is almost a straight A student(B in PE). I don't expect my kids or myself to like every rule she sets but I do expect the kids to be treated with at least some respect. There is no reason my child should be coming home crying. Both my kids want to be driven to school. They used to like riding the bus.

Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
earthflower
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bullying school bus monitor

You don't have to have her permission to record her you just wouldn't be able to use it as evidence against her in a court of law.
earthflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd email the principal. That way it is documented in writing and can be used against the monitor in HR. I am not one to make a big stink out of things at school, but IMO this is worth reporting. I would be very factual about what your kids are reporting. The principal will carry more weight at transportation than a parent will.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 11-26-2012 at 03:46 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
I don't think recording her would be appropriate (yet). could you ask your kids to write down what she is saying as this stuff is happening, as well as how it makes them feel in the moment? Then schedule a meeting with the principal and bring the papers with you.

Last edited by Palooka; 11-26-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I left a message on the principals answering system. Apparently after the kids turned in the petOrion one of the principals got on the bus to ask 2 questions. She asked them does the monitor tell you to be quiet? And does the monitor tell you to sit down? Nothing else was asked of the kids. She also took the opportunity to tell the kids their petition wouldn't change anything.

As far as being admissible in court. I do want what is recorded to be admissible in court should things not change or get worse. I do not want to take anything that far. I usually do not make a fuss about things at school but cannot let this continue. I do not want to be in the situation of he said, she said. I want a record of what is happening. I am also hoping that perhaps the monitor knowing I am essentially watching she will stop abusing her position on the bus.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko
As far as being admissible in court. I do want what is recorded to be admissible in court should things not change or get worse. I do not want to take anything that far. I usually do not make a fuss about things at school but cannot let this continue. I do not want to be in the situation of he said, she said. I want a record of what is happening. I am also hoping that perhaps the monitor knowing I am essentially watching she will stop abusing her position on the bus.
I would definitely record it. Definitely. Especially if the principal is going to basically endorse the behaviour or turn a blind eye.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn.mcc View Post
I don't think recording her would be appropriate (yet). could you ask your kids to write down what she is saying as this stuff is happening, as well as how it makes them feel in the moment? Then schedule a meeting with the principal and bring the papers with you.
The kids did write on the back of the petition some of their complaints. Although they did put down general behaviour rather than specific occurances. The above was the reaction the principal had. Just writing things down wasn't enough to even have them questioned.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
MommaLEB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not to hijack, but is this a common thing now? I had a forty minute bus ride with no monitor. I went to two different school districts in two different states and never heard of a bus monitor. Now I've heard of several stories involving them.

MommaLEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #9
Sarai*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If the kids have complained, and nothing has changed, I feel there is nothing wrong with a recording, might not be able to use it "in a court of law", but demonstrating to her superiors how her behavior is offensive, because they are not listening to descriptive complaints, is frankly the only useful recourse I can think of.

But I can't stand adults bullying. I particularly have no tolerance when they use other kids to bully.

When you have the recording, you could consider showing it to other parents, and having all of you complain together, publicly if necessary.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #10
earthflower
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post

Then you do have to inform them they are being recorded, not sure you need permission but it needs to be clear that they are aware they are being recorded. Best of Luck!
earthflower is offline   Reply With Quote