Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #11
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Do you get much adult interaction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysersoze View Post
I'm a sahd of three. I'm pretty shy,and my isolation iscompounded by being a man in a world (sahp, homeschooling) dominated by women. None of the women at the playground/storytime speak to me, but my wife will take the kids to the same Playground/storytime, and she comes full of stories from the other adults at the playground. My non-spousal adult interaction? Pretty much none at this point and its lousy. The moms at the hs co-op say hi, but that's it. The fact is, at this point ive been home for almost seven years and I have more in common with the moms at the playground than most men I know, but the moms don't want to be friends. And to be honest id rather have some guy friends, but making friends in your 30's is hard enough, without the added piece of not moving in a world inhabited by many men.
That is rough. I have to say I have never considered this issue when it came to sahd. When I see them I will have to make more of an effort to interact with them.

Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 11:26 PM   #12
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Lately, nothing on a regular basis unless you count chatting online I haven't been seeing my friends as regularly as I was before summer.

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:37 PM   #13
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I'm a sahd of three. I'm pretty shy,and my isolation iscompounded by being a man in a world (sahp, homeschooling) dominated by women. None of the women at the playground/storytime speak to me, but my wife will take the kids to the same Playground/storytime, and she comes full of stories from the other adults at the playground. My non-spousal adult interaction? Pretty much none at this point and its lousy. The moms at the hs co-op say hi, but that's it. The fact is, at this point ive been home for almost seven years and I have more in common with the moms at the playground than most men I know, but the moms don't want to be friends. And to be honest id rather have some guy friends, but making friends in your 30's is hard enough, without the added piece of not moving in a world inhabited by many men.
I hope you can maybe find a SAHD's group, maybe through Craigslist. I agree that it's hard to meet people; most of my friends are people that I either went to school with or worked with. Since I've become a SAHM/WAHM I have not met any new friends IRL, although I have met acquaintances.

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:00 AM   #14
starbeam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

are you geeky? into medieval stuff? lol...try SCA! go online and find your local group...if you get involved, it will move with you i love it! so many awesome people. or try a church...i'm not religious, but i know it's a great way to make friends
Old 11-21-2012, 01:05 AM   #15
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

Rarely aside from a play group I sometimes go too. There are a few people I see a few times a year.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:08 AM   #16
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

Quote:
I organize my play group with a stay at home dad, your not alone

I am super isolated where I am. Overseas in a non native speaking country. Germans, I love them dont get me wrong, are cold people. They dont do small chat they make friends through networks not randomly. I am like carrie here, no one likes outsiders.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:21 AM   #17
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Basically none. Every couple months we go out with some of DH's friends.

I'm a loner by nature and I just.. really, really don't like many people. I'm trying to socialize more because I know its good for me (and dh) but its hard. I'm an outsider at mom groups because I only have one baby squish, not really a playmate for the playgroup. I'm an outsider with girls dh has introduced me to because they don't have kids. I can't win.

And in general I just can't get out of the house because DS is SO high maintenance.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:36 AM   #18
bezark
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No, not really. I have a very small handful of friends (3), and I see each maybe once every 2 months. Our schedules just don't seem to match up any more often.
I'm really close with my grandma and we used to go there a few times a week, but my grandpa is in rough shape with cancer/chemo right now and I don't want to bombard him with my children 4 days a week, so we're keeping it to once every week or two right now.
Other than that, my adult interaction is limited to cashiers at the grocery store.

ETA: At this point in my life I don't get to go out without kids at all, which I'm fine with 99.9% of the time, but it does slightly limit opportunities for socialization.

Last edited by bezark; 11-21-2012 at 05:39 AM.
bezark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:58 AM   #19
megenic
Registered Users
seller

I need to interact with other adults daily. If I'm not meeting with a client I either go to a playgroup or library story time with the little one. If there is no playgroup I will call a friend and have them over or we will go to their place. My idea of a terrible day is one where I don't get to hang out with other grown ups :-)
Old 11-21-2012, 06:19 AM   #20
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by somo_chickenlady View Post
Same here, I make friends better at work. All of my past friends have been from a job. What makes it hard, is that my DS is too old for groups like MOPS or things like that.
I'm glad I'm not alone! As much as I loved staying a part of me thinks I could not go back to it because of that. I'm thinking that every MOPS group is different too. Mine was basically a clique. And like you said, that is short lived anyway with it being only through Pre-school.
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote