Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My Father's World users, 2nd and above

My son is doing 1st and we are a little over a third done. I'm starting to research for next year. I'm planning to stick with MFW long term for the core subjects. But, I'm not sold on their LA suggestions. We are doing Singapore for math and have already started down that path.

I like the living books and Charlotte Mason style for Bible, history, and science. But, I'm wanting a straight forward, traditional approach to LA. Plus, I've struggled with K and 1st with their math because it's not completely planned out for me, which is why we are using Singapore now. I REALLY don't want to miss something in LA because it's so important. So, I need something with a teachers guide.

So...what do/did you use once you hit 2nd grade and needed to get a separate LA program? If you went with MFW recommendations, did you like it and feel it was a strong program?

I'm strongly leaning toward A Beka right now and thinking about Rod and Staff (though I haven't looked at their program in-depth yet).

Any suggestions on things to think about when combining Adv with an LA (like readers might already be included ) or what I would actually need to get with A Beka?

Thanks!!

ETA - If you are going to be moving to 2nd, what are your thoughts and what direction are you heading?

Advertisement

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 11-17-2012 at 01:49 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Re: My Father's World users, 2nd and above

Heather- So they don't have Language Arts and Math in their 1st grade and up stuff? What are their suggestions right now?

I don't love their math approach... I hate it too much to want to incorporate it into everything! haha. Was thinking about doing Math-U-See for 1st grade and up.

Sorry I don't have any useful response. I just thought LA was part of the box in older grades and now I'm bummed!
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's not included in 2nd and up. K and 1st is complete as is. Although, I don't find the math complete, personally. I think it's better in the revised edition of K, maybe it will be in the revised edition of 1st also. But, I just need more hand holding for math and exact direction.

Anyway, the reason they don't include LA or math is because different kids need different levels and different curriculum that fit their style of learning. Plus, it is their intention for several children of different ages/levels to be using one "core" program. Each would need their own LA and math on their own level.

They recommend....Primary Language Lessons and.....I have to go look. I just know I'm not into it.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I looked. It's Primary Language Lessons and Spelling By Sound and Structure. They recommend Singapore for math. Here is a link: http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/M50/40/5/0/1#details It's at the bottom.

One of my concerns with these is that they are too laid back. My kids have to pass standardized testing in our state. It doesn't teach parts of speech and such till a good bit after our school system does and it would be hard for my kids to pass a standardized test without that.

I just want something more formal and traditional for LA.

We did decide to go with Singapore and it seems to be a good fit for us. We started it half-way through K because the MFW math wasn't working for us. I tried the first too and are now moving back to Singapore. We just started 1A. I do like the Singapore math. However, they use the US Edition and I think I might to switch to the Standards Edition when we go to 2A. (I already have 1B in US.) I don't want to teach to tests, but reality is my kids have to be tested and I want them to pass.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

We used MFW for K-2nd and we added in Explode the Code workbooks. I also have the book Simply Grammar to start with my oldest soon (he's 9 and doing 3rd grade). We're not required to test here in OH, but we do use the California Achievement test through Seton Home Testing. http://www.setontesting.com/cat/ Even though my kids have not had a lot of grammar instruction they passed the LA parts of the test just fine.

MFW recommended Exploring countries and cultures for 3rd grade. But I was feeling more confident in my abilities to put together my own curriculum, so we are using Galloping the Globe unit studies for this year. It still focuses on world history/geography so if I decide to go back to MFW for next year I think they will have gotten the same basics as MFW would have covered.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I am currently using adventures in my fathers world for my 2nd grade dd, and we are using primary language lessons and Singapore math. I am ready to change la for the exact reason you mentioned. We are in ga, and have to test at the end of 3rd. I am thinking of using heart of Dakota bigger next year and then going back to MFW for the cycle (skipping ecc ). So, I am considering sticking with the la recs they make-isn't it cle? Abecka also seems like a good choice as it is what the private Christian schools in our are use.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'll answer you're ETA, but of course I haven't been there-done that yet, so feel free to disregard my opinion. First, we don't have to do standard testing, so that makes a difference for me. I too would be worried about passing and looking good in the states eyes, so that takes a lot of pressure off of me. At least for next year (2nd grade) we are planning on going with MFW recommendation for primary language lessons. I like the sound of it okay, it's cheap and quick to teach. It doesn't sound like there is a lot of busywork, and it also sounds like it is somewhat flexible. For all those reasons and because I haven't seen any other LA program I think we would just love, we're going with it. I'm pretty certain that Keegan could not handle Abecka. I haven't looked into Rod and Staff very much, but I may now that you've mentioned it.

Spelling by sound and structure....I'm torn on that. It's probably a good program, but it just kind of looks like a dud to me. Maybe that's one reason I can't spell, lol. We will probably go ahead and get it and at least give it a go. What are you looking into for spelling?

Math...we're still thinking. I will either do singapore or MUS. I think both the older kids would do fine with singapore, but I'm wondering if I should go ahead and invest in MUS because Kennah will need something more hands on. But then again Singapore is much cheaper and I really thing it would be a good program for Keegan and Rachel...so I just don't know. It will definatly be one of those two though.

ETA: I'm also toying with the idea of starting cursive next year. I can't decide if I want to go ahead with it or wait another year. I haven't looked into what's out there for teaching cursive yet, but I may just do it on my own anyway.

Last edited by jen_batten; 11-18-2012 at 08:05 PM.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
Designsbybequi
Registered Users
seller

I am using Abeka for phonics/spelling and math this year for 1st grade and ShurleyEnglish for language. My dd is in a parttime school/homeschool program and they pick the curriculum. I am very impressed with Abeka phonics/spelling. My daughters reading is amazing now and it's easy to teach. Lots of charts, flash cards, worksheets, great readers. It took me a couple of months to get used to Abeka but I'm amazed at how well their system works and I really like it. The spelling is great too. Her strong subject is math not English but is excelling with Abeka. My review of Abeka math is that there are better programs out there. It's not bad, but I'm not a fan of it. Shurley English to me is way too much work and kind of advanced for her at the first grade level. If I were to choose myself, I'd stay with Abeka phonics/spelling and switch to a more hands on or creative math like Singapore or math u see (but add a workbook that drilled addition/subtractions occasionally)- Abeka math to me seems pure rote memorization and drill and kill which at this age, I feel they need to understand numbers before solely memorizing facts. Hard to explain, but that is why I don't like Abeka math. I supplement her worksheets with cuisinaire rod work and math games. They use combination dot cards which I really don't like and they confuse me let alone her. I would find an easier and more fun language. My daughter has cried about three times now during Shirley English and that's just not right. She has to recognize adjectives, punction, article adjective and way more and we are only months into 1st grade, way too much, and it's not sinking in at all. I'll ask her what a noun is and she's clueless and gets them all mixed up but it is moving ahead with more info at the speed of light. Hope these reviews help you in picking a program. Good luck!!