Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

is this too much?

Cecilia is fussing and saying I'm asking too much. I think she is just being 10 and complaining... but I'll run it by here and see. Here is what I have on her plate for today (and other days are similar with a few subject changes) I give her a list of things I expect. She with few exceptions gets to pick the order and can again with few exceptions set when she wants to complete the days activities.

Quote:
1) Math teaching texbooks remember 4 assignments must be completed this week! One at least MUST be completed today

2) Writing: Correct writing sample look up words or ask for help. Look again at your sentences are all the words as you would like them to be read? Would you like to add or simplify any parts? Remember finial draft needs to be written.

3) exploring literature- finish Jane Eyre movie

4) grammar: drill 36 page 41English for young Catholics Nouns Plural

5) History story of the world read together

6) science BBC school science clips life cycles and Interdependence
and adaptation

7) spanish - work with CD

8) reading - book of choice one hour

9) practice piano 30 minutes

10) recite prayers for Sunday school.
this is her writing assignment for this week (her rough draft) were working on second draft.. and I fully expect to be helping the entire time.
Quote:
On my 10th birthday for the hole day I was with my mom. At 9:00am I went to brest and I open my card from grandma (name removed for privacy) I got 30$ on a taget gift card! So we went to taget I saw the sims 3 and I want it but my mom sad no becase it was for teens. so I got 5 little pet shops. I had 5 cents left wow! Then we went to Pet Smart for some fish food wen we were ther I look at the fishes, dog,brids,rats,mice, and cats. Wen I stop to look at the cats I saw lots of cat I saw a cat named dotte. I wanted to see dotte a prsen let us. My mom want to see how to get a cat. Then we left. My mom forgot to get the fish food! So we went home. I went on the campter. At 12:00am we went to lanch. We ate at Pizza Hut! Then I went back on the campter. At 4:00 my mom,dad,sister, and I went to chiels for dinner. Then we went back to Pet Smart and we got a cat! I was so happy! We got the catís stuff then my mom and dad let we have dottie so bring her home. And named her mitens. Then we went to sleep.
I'm fine with her typing things out she is more comfortable and it makes correcting easier.. I will ask her to write (copy) the finial draft. this and her math assigment are the most "intense" work she has for the day. History is me reading to her, we are WATCHING Jane Eyre as a movie, the science an spanish are self paced and computer "games form. The rest just require the time...

She sees the list and melts down....

Deanna

Advertisement

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: is this too much?

she is 10 and 4th grade FWIW.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

she is 10 and 4th grade FWIW.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't think that's unreasonable at all. Her school work seems pretty average and she'd have HW on top of that if she were in PS.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Maybe to her seeing it all written down looks like a lot of work. Could you maybe put each thing on a piece of paper and let her "draw out" her next activity for the things she does on her own, or make one of those folders where you cut the cover into strips, and then put her tasks behind it, she lifts one flap and has the one task, then the next flap has the next task, etc.

I don't see it as too much work, but she may just feel overwhelmed having it all listed out and handed to her.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggierbard9 View Post
Maybe to her seeing it all written down looks like a lot of work. Could you maybe put each thing on a piece of paper and let her "draw out" her next activity for the things she does on her own, or make one of those folders where you cut the cover into strips, and then put her tasks behind it, she lifts one flap and has the one task, then the next flap has the next task, etc.

I don't see it as too much work, but she may just feel overwhelmed having it all listed out and handed to her.
humm the draw it out might be a good idea. She gets mad when I dont give a list but maybe a way to draw out things would kinda give her both and she might like the change.. OF couese with this list she gets to pick the order, if she draws that will be it..

Part of me thinks her complaints are just to complain...

Old 11-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
the_oz_girl
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think that is a totally reasonable amount of work. It might help if she got to see it in another format though. Give her the list and let her put it into a program like Google Calendar or something similar. Have her figure out how long she & you think each activity will take. Give her chances to plug in some free/fun time and I would bet that she'll not think it is quite so bad. Maybe put in the local public school's day so she can see how different & nice her day is?
the_oz_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think everything looks pretty reasonable. I don't have quite that big of a list for my 9 year old son, but similar. What does she find to be the most unreasonable? Is it the writing? I know she has several spelling/grammar errors, but overall, she did a great job expressing herself. Writing is the hardest for my son, and I would be absolutely thrilled if he would even write that much for me. Maybe working on and correcting is what she finds to be the most challenging? I worked in a writing center for 3 years in college and even 19 year olds would get so stressed out trying to edit their papers. I think editing and second drafts is a challenge still for her age. Maybe that is her frustration. I know it would be for my son, but I think it looks reasonable in terms of how much she is doing. We don't do every subject every day. I tried that, but my son prefers doing more of a subject and less subjects per day. For example, he did his science for the week in two days (a unit study on fossils). Today, he read independently for one hour, I read to him for one hour, we watched a documentary, he did 4 math pages in Singapore and worked on his Explode the Code. We still struggle with writing, but I am thrilled with his progress.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Honestly I think she jsut being ten and "complaining"
Their is really nothing specific she was complaining about just general whining..
She has gotten "behind" in her math she was way ahead so we kinda got lazy I want to get back into it. Its why I reminded her of our goals however math is one of her strongest subjects and reality is we go on when she masters. If she needs to ever slow down or repeat then we do that.

Writing this is an area we countinue to work on, she needs to work more on spelling and sucture (much like her mom ) but its also somethign we take a little at a time some writing projects we knock out in a few days (rought draft to finial copy) others take a week or more.
Basically after she gave that draft her father went through and circled the misspellings.. She already has it typed out so will just go and retype the correct words and I provide her with a "word bank" (and we work with spell check) fi it feels like too much for her to tackle it at once we divide it up.

at another time I help her clear some of her writing ect.. all on the computer.
The finial draft is copied. I don't always have her copy this time I will though.
My in my head goal is this to be completed by next Friday but we will see.

GENERALLY
math/something in grammar/ independent reading/piano is completed daily
history/Science/Religion 2-3 days a week
we rotate typing/spanish/art/Geography throughout the week

We do school 4 days a week she gets Thursday Morning off and has piano liabary time and Gymnastics class on Thursday Afternoons

Deanna

Old 11-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZmommy View Post
Honestly I think she jsut being ten and "complaining"
Their is really nothing specific she was complaining about just general whining..
She has gotten "behind" in her math she was way ahead so we kinda got lazy I want to get back into it. Its why I reminded her of our goals however math is one of her strongest subjects and reality is we go on when she masters. If she needs to ever slow down or repeat then we do that.

Writing this is an area we countinue to work on, she needs to work more on spelling and sucture (much like her mom ) but its also somethign we take a little at a time some writing projects we knock out in a few days (rought draft to finial copy) others take a week or more.
Basically after she gave that draft her father went through and circled the misspellings.. She already has it typed out so will just go and retype the correct words and I provide her with a "word bank" (and we work with spell check) fi it feels like too much for her to tackle it at once we divide it up.

at another time I help her clear some of her writing ect.. all on the computer.
The finial draft is copied. I don't always have her copy this time I will though.
My in my head goal is this to be completed by next Friday but we will see.

GENERALLY
math/something in grammar/ independent reading/piano is completed daily
history/Science/Religion 2-3 days a week
we rotate typing/spanish/art/Geography throughout the week

We do school 4 days a week she gets Thursday Morning off and has piano liabary time and Gymnastics class on Thursday Afternoons

Deanna
Well, I get the whining in general all the time! I think it could also be the time of year? My son seems to be better this week after a short break last week. He still remembers being in Public school so I can always remind him of this when he complains of what I ask of him! I think it looks like you have a great schedule going!