Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
JamesMarie
Registered Users

My Mood:
milk supply going down?

I'm not sure what to do... I am a WOHM so I have to pump to keep my baby fed. I normally pump around every 2 hrs and I'm still only getting around 6-8 oz a day (I work 9 hr days & have an hr lunch) and I've noticed that on the weekends by the afternoon LO acts like he just isn't getting enough. I just don't know what to do any suggestions?

Advertisement

JamesMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Re: milk supply going down?

This can be very frustrating. There is a book called "Making more milk." I read it, it didn't fix all my problems, but its helpful for the basics. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water. Maybe try steel cut oats for breakfast in the morning. Check you pump, make sure its working- do you feel empty after pumping? For me and I think many mamas I produce the most in the morning and I have to pump a lot to get good and empty. So I pumped in the car on the way to work even if I had just finished nursing. What kind of pump do you have? Also how is your thyroid function, have you had it tested because low thyroid will mess with your milk production. Are you restricting calories at all?
Also there are herbs, blessed Thistle and Fenugreek work for many mamas.
Do the best you can but don't beat yourself up or stress out. For me, stress caused my supply to drop worse than anything else.

Some tricks that worked for me when pumping was to pack my baby's last nights pajamas in with the pump and smell them when I was going to pump. Also maybe a video of your baby on your phone or a photo.

I really hope you find what works for you!
Old 11-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been there mama, and it sucks terribly :-(

Fenugreek, works best with Blessed Thistle I believe. Goats Rue as well. There's also something called More Milk Plus that contains those I think.

Add a power pump at night or at some point during the day. Pump for the usual 15 min. Then wait 10 minute and pump 10 minutes on/10 minutes off for about an hour or so. Mimics cluster feeding as best as a pump can.

Pump after baby nurses.

As a last resort you can get a script for Reglan but it can have not so fun side effects. There's also Domperidone but you have to order it from an online pharmacy.

How old isyour LO?

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I WOH also and that happened with both my boys by 7 months. I am sorry you are dealing with this. I never did get my supply to rebound and ended up weaning. It got to the point where I was only pumping 3 or 4 oz during my work day despite everything I tried. I had the same issue as you that the baby was getting frustraited at the breast and never seemed satisfied.

I am really hoping ot make it longer this time I have been stock piling my freezer as much as possible.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
JamesMarie
Registered Users

My Mood:

my little guy is only 4 months next week... I try to drink lots of water - but I know I could do better...

I have an Ameda Purely Yours double pump and it really seems to work well... I have not had my thyroid checked in about 3 years... but I don't feel like it is out of wack - but I also know that doesn't mean much

OK - I'm going to start pumping after he eats in the evenings... and doing a power pump right after lunch... AND I will pay more attention to my water intake and we will see if that helps without having to get the herbs...

OH - and Crunchymom - my middle (8 yrs) son's nickname is Vinny <3 (rn - Vance) just had to share that cause I've never seen anyone else with that name
Old 11-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

4months is the age for Distractible baby phases. Check it out on kellymom.com
Old 11-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
JamesMarie
Registered Users

My Mood:

really... I will have to check that out... thank you!
Old 11-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #8
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMarie
really... I will have to check that out... thank you!
Yes. It's a stage where baby pops off alot, seems like they are not getting enough because they literally won't stay ON the boob. Lol. Also evaluate what you give in bottle to make sure it's appropriate. Kellymom has a calculator for that.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
JamesMarie
Registered Users

My Mood:

that was an interesting read... and helped explain why he is now wanting to nurse almost non-stop during the night... but I would think all that night nursing would help keep my supply up?

I haven't found the calculator yet, but we typically give 1 oz per hour I'm gone... so that would mean I need to supply her 10 oz - and today I only got 6 oz (getting ready to head home) so just over half of what he normally eats while there... BUT - I'm not giving up yet - I'm hoping the changes I made today will start to help over this next week

Thank you guys for your input and suggestions! Hopefully they will all help!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #10
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Do you nurse before leaving? So that takes it down to 8. And if you nurse immediately upon returning it may be less. And some babies instinctually power up at night and do just fine during the day