Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
ggill
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
A few questions...

I apologize if these are repeat questions

I have a few questions about international/ foster to adopt.

For waiting children in other countries- is that children on photo lists and is it faster to adopt opposed to waiting for a baby/ child that fits very specific requests? Is that how Reeces Rainbow, Rainbow Kids works?

For foster to adopt- I was thinking initially of going this route for $ reasons but my SIL mentioned here in Ohio the parents get 2 years to straighten things out before their right will be terminated, unless they would volunteer to terminate their rights. Her mom has been a foster parent for over a decade and I will definelty use her as a resource if we proceed with this route. I am concerned about how this would be for my boys. They will be 3 and 4 and I feel that is old enough to become attached to a new sibling but not old enough to understand if that sibling gets taken away. Any thoughts on that? Can you take only placements that have a solid chance of adoption? I am thinking about SN specifically HIV positive, depending on our insurance response...

next question- Insurance- Through foster to adopt the child would have access to medicaid always? until 18? but international adoption the law states only group insurance must cover the child? We have private ins atm...

I plan to get The Connected child to read and have been brain storming income options.. leads me to my last question I think

For those who have adopted internationally how did you afford it, do you have a higher paying job? ON the USCI (cant remember exactly) chart on Reeces Rainbow our income is enough for a family of 7-8 and we are a family of 4 so we meet the income requirements that way but it still feels so unaffordable when you look at 40,000$....

and one more question
Home study- Is one homestudy good accross the board? Or do you need a different home study for ea coutry, agency, ect?

Thank you so much!!!

Advertisement

And one en-route via the red thread
http://speelmanhome.wordpress.com/
ggill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
megs715
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: A few questions...

Part of this I can answer (the international stuff, but the foster care questions I don't know about)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggill View Post
I apologize if these are repeat questions

I have a few questions about international/ foster to adopt.

For waiting children in other countries- is that children on photo lists and is it faster to adopt opposed to waiting for a baby/ child that fits very specific requests? Is that how Reeces Rainbow, Rainbow Kids works? I think that adopting from a photolisting is generally faster. When I adopted I had to wait for a referral once and the other time adopted a known child. My known child adoption was much faster (7 months from first paperwork to home) than my referral adoption (15 months or so)

For foster to adopt- I was thinking initially of going this route for $ reasons but my SIL mentioned here in Ohio the parents get 2 years to straighten things out before their right will be terminated, unless they would volunteer to terminate their rights. Her mom has been a foster parent for over a decade and I will definelty use her as a resource if we proceed with this route. I am concerned about how this would be for my boys. They will be 3 and 4 and I feel that is old enough to become attached to a new sibling but not old enough to understand if that sibling gets taken away. Any thoughts on that? Can you take only placements that have a solid chance of adoption? I am thinking about SN specifically HIV positive, depending on our insurance response...

next question- Insurance- Through foster to adopt the child would have access to medicaid always? until 18? but international adoption the law states only group insurance must cover the child? We have private ins atm... I have group insurance through work, so I'm not sure about private, but both of my boys were covered from the day my adoption became final, including while we were still out of the country...not that we need insurance while overseas, but that was the effective date

I plan to get The Connected child to read and have been brain storming income options.. leads me to my last question I think

For those who have adopted internationally how did you afford it, do you have a higher paying job? ON the USCI (cant remember exactly) chart on Reeces Rainbow our income is enough for a family of 7-8 and we are a family of 4 so we meet the income requirements that way but it still feels so unaffordable when you look at 40,000$.... Alot of people adopting from RR fund raise, I'd say the great majority do (I follow many of the blogs, as EE adoptions are near to my heart). When I adopted, I happened to have the money in the bank for both adoptions, so I used that.

and one more question
Home study- Is one homestudy good accross the board? Or do you need a different home study for ea coutry, agency, ect? Each country will need different things in your homestudy. For my second adoption, I orginally was going to adopt from Russia, but decided half way through to look at Uzbekistan. I would have had to change my entire HS, the wording, etc. The political unrest in the country at the time scared me and I ended up sticking with Russia

Thank you so much!!!
megs715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
ggill
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by megs715 View Post
Part of this I can answer (the international stuff, but the foster care questions I don't know about)
Thank you so much!!

Have you adopted from Reeces Rainbow? I've been reading up on any blog I can find!

Old 11-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
ggill
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I forgot to ask if you are in a waiting child program do they waive any of the health restrictions, is BMI?

Old 11-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #5
megs715
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Thank you so much!!

Have you adopted from Reeces Rainbow? I've been reading up on any blog I can find!
I haven't adopted from RR, I just keep up as much as I can with what's going on....living vicariously I suppose! My waiting child was my older son who came over for summer camp via an agency. He was not technically a SN adoption, though he has some mental health issues and some scarring from being burned/scalded as an infant.

Quote:
I forgot to ask if you are in a waiting child program do they waive any of the health restrictions, is BMI?
My understanding is that for China (it is the only country I know that has a BMI restriction) will sometimes waive the restrictions http://www.china-adoption-online.com...rom-china.html. When I adopted from Russia there was an 8 doctor medical that had to be done, but it was allowed to be done in the states for my region (my older son's adoption was too long ago for alot of these requirements). I did have to travel from the W. coast where I live to Missouri to get someone that was willing to sign off on one of the forms, but it was cheaper than having it done in Russia (I spent one night away from home, flew out one morning, and back the next night).
megs715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:25 AM   #6
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

foster adoptions do take forever. however there is a program in our state for kiddos that already have their rights terminated so that cuts down on some of the time. you might look into that if are concerned with the FK going back into the home or to family, if they make it to this program in our state there is no suitable family and their foster home is either not suitable or has chosen not to adopt. you can search for your states photolistings for an idea on that.

that being said i think the kids don't have as hard a time with it as we think they will. my dd is very understanding and hasn't had trouble with either of the kiddos that left our family though their stay was short. she asks about them frequently but understands that we were not a permanent home for them. that is the position we will take until TPR and then perhaps we will consider opening the idea of adoption of the child with dd but that depends on the case. with my dd it might be different i think because she has no bio siblings.

HTH!

also i think if you are pursuing HIV+ children you should have no problem finding one in the us, legally free for adoption. i don't think there are many homes that are looking for this type of placement so that might open some doors for you. i could be wrong though. hopefully other mamas with more experience can help more with this.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:05 AM   #7
ggill
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by megs715 View Post
I haven't adopted from RR, I just keep up as much as I can with what's going on....living vicariously I suppose! My waiting child was my older son who came over for summer camp via an agency. He was not technically a SN adoption, though he has some mental health issues and some scarring from being burned/scalded as an infant.

My understanding is that for China (it is the only country I know that has a BMI restriction) will sometimes waive the restrictions http://www.china-adoption-online.com...rom-china.html. When I adopted from Russia there was an 8 doctor medical that had to be done, but it was allowed to be done in the states for my region (my older son's adoption was too long ago for alot of these requirements). I did have to travel from the W. coast where I live to Missouri to get someone that was willing to sign off on one of the forms, but it was cheaper than having it done in Russia (I spent one night away from home, flew out one morning, and back the next night).
I think the Phillippines has a BMI requirement of 35 or less which made me wonder how many other countries might have a similar requirement. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13 View Post
foster adoptions do take forever. however there is a program in our state for kiddos that already have their rights terminated so that cuts down on some of the time. you might look into that if are concerned with the FK going back into the home or to family, if they make it to this program in our state there is no suitable family and their foster home is either not suitable or has chosen not to adopt. you can search for your states photolistings for an idea on that.

that being said i think the kids don't have as hard a time with it as we think they will. my dd is very understanding and hasn't had trouble with either of the kiddos that left our family though their stay was short. she asks about them frequently but understands that we were not a permanent home for them. that is the position we will take until TPR and then perhaps we will consider opening the idea of adoption of the child with dd but that depends on the case. with my dd it might be different i think because she has no bio siblings.

HTH!

also i think if you are pursuing HIV+ children you should have no problem finding one in the us, legally free for adoption. i don't think there are many homes that are looking for this type of placement so that might open some doors for you. i could be wrong though. hopefully other mamas with more experience can help more with this.
Thank you that does help! and I see your DD is just a little order than my DS1. The families I know around here how foster to adopt, started the program when there bio kids were older so I wasnt sure how PS aged kiddos would handle it. I know kids are resilient!

Thank you ladies! All the info available is so overwhelming I am trying to break it down in manageable steps. Next I need to call my insurance, read the Connected Child and I signed up for a webinar through EACI I think was the initials. I also located 2 agencies close to me. I also keep talking to DH about adoption, SN, toddler/ PS child w/ HIV. He seems OK with it, just kinda looks at me but no negative responses at all.

Again, thank you ladies!!

Last edited by ggill; 11-28-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

That is awesome that he seems receptive. Dhs often need some encouragement!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #9
LindsayNErik
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are adopting from RR,and we have done a variety of things to raise the money. We are a one income military family,so we certainly didn't have the 25,00 sitting around,but we just knew that's where God was calling us,so we said yes,and He has surely provided this far!
LindsayNErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #10
ggill
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayNErik View Post
We are adopting from RR,and we have done a variety of things to raise the money. We are a one income military family,so we certainly didn't have the 25,00 sitting around,but we just knew that's where God was calling us,so we said yes,and He has surely provided this far!
Did you do a home study then find a child to be matched, or find a child then complete your home study?

So glad God is providing for you!