Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #21
rebekka117
Registered Users
seller

Re: My kids opened their presents

hm, some of these sound a little harsh. i think it's important to remember why you got the presents in the first place, to show your love for your boys and make them smile. so they opened them early, i wouldn't punish them or return them or make them miserable by looking at them but not touching, i'd maybe put them in the closet till christmas, or let them have them now and on christmas remind them they already got their presents but now they get to GIVE (The real meaning of christmas, after all!)

Advertisement

rebekka117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #22
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmomstl View Post
This it's why I am torn... I totally agree with you as well
I would absolutely allow them to have other gifts, but not the ones they opened. I know it would be disappointing to have something picked out for them only to return it. Maybe as a sort of compromise, you could think of a way for them to earn those gifts back. They could tell Santa what they did or have them do some other sort of unpleasant task.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #23
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

My boys did this last year.

They were 3 and 5.
They TOTALLY knew what they were doing.
They actually even *hunted* in the storage building for the bikes they suspected were out there.

They each got one toy from us on Christmas day. They had to wait until Jan 1st for all the rest. They got a ton from other family though so it wasn't a horrible punishment.

This year they said they are not opening any "Until it is the actual day of Christmas"

ETA: I am not putting them out until the day of Christmas this year. I don't trust my 2 year old not to open them all

Last edited by ~happy2Bamommy~; 11-24-2012 at 09:17 AM.
~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #24
Bellaroo
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzchen View Post
IMHO, it is unrealistic to expect a 4 year old to have the impulse control to leave wrapped presents within their reach alone. I would have a chat with them about spoiling their own surprise on Christmas morning and leave it at that.
I agree. My husband can hardly leave the presents alone for a day so I would never expect a 4 year old (especially two 4 year olds - group think is a dangerous thing) to leave them alone for a month.

I would not punish them at all.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #25
twinmomstl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My mom acted like I was an idiot for even putting them under the tree and they didn't open any last year so I figured now they are a little older that it wouldn't be a problem. From now on you can guarantee I won't be putting anything under the tree.
Working my dream job as NICU Nurse . I have two not so little monsters Dominick and Gavin born 08/08/08 Still TTC #3
twinmomstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #26
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

I think I'm the only one who thinks it not a big deal, and honestly I totally

I did the same thing as a child. Here's another perspective. To me the quest to find out what I got was much more fun than being surprised on Christmas morning. And trust me I still had a great time when I finally got to fully open and play with the stuff!

It truly was the hunt for me. I'd hunt all through the house. Sometimes I found things, sometimes I didn't. When my mom put the presents under the tree a few days before Christmas, I would feel, and shake and smell seeing if I could figure it out. And then when my mom was somewhere else I'd actually get a butter knife, splice the tape open, take a peek, and retape. She never knew that until I was an adult and told her The rest she knew and honestly it was like a little game.

My kiddos are 6 and 4 and full of curiousty. To save myself headache, nothing goes out until Christmas eve mainly. It's not a battle that's important to me at the moment.
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #27
need some diaps!
Registered Users
seller

Oh man....I think this is pretty normal and you should NOT have put them out in full display for those poor little boys to see!! I would not punish them at all...did you really expect them not to open them??? I think if I did anything I would say(if you do the whole santa thing) that this is all they are getting and santa won't be bringing anymore?? You know for christmas morning. Otherwise wrap them up and put them away...christmas isn't for a month!!!!!!!!!
need some diaps! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #28
twinmomstl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
I think I'm the only one who thinks it not a big deal, and honestly I totally

I did the same thing as a child. Here's another perspective. To me the quest to find out what I got was much more fun than being surprised on Christmas morning. And trust me I still had a great time when I finally got to fully open and play with the stuff!

It truly was the hunt for me. I'd hunt all through the house. Sometimes I found things, sometimes I didn't. When my mom put the presents under the tree a few days before Christmas, I would feel, and shake and smell seeing if I could figure it out. And then when my mom was somewhere else I'd actually get a butter knife, splice the tape open, take a peek, and retape. She never knew that until I was an adult and told her The rest she knew and honestly it was like a little game.

My kiddos are 6 and 4 and full of curiousty. To save myself headache, nothing goes out until Christmas eve mainly. It's not a battle that's important to me at the moment.
This is exactly what I did as a kid. Especially waiting until she was gone and I was home alone, then open the gifts and retape Guess I can't be too mad that they got my genes.

Thanks ladies for all the responses I feel so much better now
Working my dream job as NICU Nurse . I have two not so little monsters Dominick and Gavin born 08/08/08 Still TTC #3
twinmomstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #29
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmomstl View Post
This is exactly what I did as a kid. Especially waiting until she was gone and I was home alone, then open the gifts and retape Guess I can't be too mad that they got my genes.

Thanks ladies for all the responses I feel so much better now
Oh man paybacks right!!
Old 11-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #30
Terra
seller

My Mood:

Oh shoot, I meant to ask though. Do you like the look of presents under the tree? I'd almost wrap a few beautiful empty boxes to look nice, make sure to show the kiddos so they know. I've thought about doing that myself. With an empty box, not too much temptation there!