Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #31
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: My kids opened their presents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
Oh shoot, I meant to ask though. Do you like the look of presents under the tree? I'd almost wrap a few beautiful empty boxes to look nice, make sure to show the kiddos so they know. I've thought about doing that myself. With an empty box, not too much temptation there!
That is smart!

Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #32
kaimon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by megkmc View Post
Maybe the punishment is that they are not surprised on Christmas morning. I guess it's more like the natural consequence. " ok, you thought it would be a good idea to open your presents now. So you know what we got you for Christmas."

I wouldn't return the presents. You have already thought of them and what they like, bought gifts, wrapped them up. I wouldn't let their mischievousness force me to return them all, think of new gifts, buy new gifts, etc. i'd take the gifts, put them up until Christmas, then re-wrap them and they can open them Christmas morning.

That way they have the consequence of not being surprised, but Christmas morning will still be fun with unwrapping and toy playing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzchen View Post
IMHO, it is unrealistic to expect a 4 year old to have the impulse control to leave wrapped presents within their reach alone. I would have a chat with them about spoiling their own surprise on Christmas morning and leave it at that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekka117 View Post
hm, some of these sound a little harsh. i think it's important to remember why you got the presents in the first place, to show your love for your boys and make them smile. so they opened them early, i wouldn't punish them or return them or make them miserable by looking at them but not touching, i'd maybe put them in the closet till christmas, or let them have them now and on christmas remind them they already got their presents but now they get to GIVE (The real meaning of christmas, after all!)
All of these. I wouldn't think of putting gifts under the tree this early. The only gifts that go under there are the ones the kids have helped me wrap for others. So they know what they are and who they are for. *I* would be tempted to peek at a gift for me that was put on display a month before I could open it. There's no way I could expect my 4 year old not to peek.

That said, I wouldn't punish. They know what they are now. So be it. Nothing changes. They get those gifts, when they were supposed to get them.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #33
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

My oldest in the first 2 yrs or 3 yrs at christmas I learned you can't put presents at tree. She came out & unwtapped all hers & in nice neat pile left the paper..... so maybe not all their fault. My oldest is almost 8 yrs old so its been awhile but we have 19month we were saying either would open or carryaround house.lol. so I understand but they are kids......curiosity gets better of them.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #34
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: danner
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzchen View Post
IMHO, it is unrealistic to expect a 4 year old to have the impulse control to leave wrapped presents within their reach alone. I would have a chat with them about spoiling their own surprise on Christmas morning and leave it at that.
Yes, I think this is how it should be. I have actually wrapped a few empty boxes to make the tree look festive, but left the real presents to Christmas Eve. It's just too tempting!
Old 11-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #35
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
Sounds like you have two very bright and curious boys there. The smartest ones are always the hardest to raise. I would give them a talking to and a time out (or whatever you do for other offenses) and leave it at that. And then put the presents away until Christmas. Yes, they knew it wasn't right, but I don't think they quite see it as a big of an offense as us adults might. They just don't have that perspective yet. They likely figure the presents will be theirs soon, so what is the harm in peaking. I know this is crummy right now (I would be just as upset as you), but hopefully this will be something you look back at and laugh about when they are grown up.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #36
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeweese View Post
That is smart!
I love the look of it all. This year though I did the buffalo snow under the tree and it's all piled up and cool looking so nothing will really go under the tree but to the side.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #37
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I put all the gifts out one xas when my oldest son was 2 1/2. He kept getting out of bed and opening them. I ended up sleeping on the couch till xmas to keep him at bay. I was able every year after to put gifts out before the holidays.

I have a 4 and 3 year old now and plan to wait til xmas eve to put it all out. I have a gate in their room, but they can break it down. I would not be happy if I had to rewrap pressies again. Plus, I used to snoop and know it would be my payback. I HAD to know what I was getting. It eased my anxiety associated with my OCD. My oldest son is the same way. He basically makes a list and I buy it.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #38
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They are 4- and boys. I would just rewrap and put them up till christmas. No biggie imo
Old 11-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #39
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by megkmc
Maybe the punishment is that they are not surprised on Christmas morning. I guess it's more like the natural consequence. " ok, you thought it would be a good idea to open your presents now. So you know what we got you for Christmas."

I wouldn't return the presents. You have already thought of them and what they like, bought gifts, wrapped them up. I wouldn't let their mischievousness force me to return them all, think of new gifts, buy new gifts, etc. i'd take the gifts, put them up until Christmas, then re-wrap them and they can open them Christmas morning.

That way they have the consequence of not being surprised, but Christmas morning will still be fun with unwrapping and toy playing.
I totally agree with this. And maybe threaten them with socks. Or put a piece of coal or reindeer poop (tic tacs) in their stockings.

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #40
twinmomstl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I the idea of putting empty boxes wrapped under the tree. I love the look of presents under the tree, hence why I put them there so early in the first place.
Working my dream job as NICU Nurse . I have two not so little monsters Dominick and Gavin born 08/08/08 Still TTC #3
twinmomstl is offline   Reply With Quote