Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
joyous
Registered Users
Formerly: erika375
seller
seller

Is this price reasonable?

I've never had professional pictures of my DD taken and we barely have any together, except the few on my phone.

There's a great photographer nearby. For $400, she'll do 1 hour of shooting and I get a high-res CD of all the photos, edited. We'll do the shoot outside, not in a studio.

Does this sound reasonable? This is something I've saved up for, so I have the money, but I'm not sure if its really expensive or average. What do you think?

Advertisement

Last edited by joyous; 11-26-2012 at 09:00 AM.
joyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Greenwife
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Is this price reasonable?

We paid about half that for the same thing (outside in location of our choice, 1-2 hours of time and a cd of all pics) in the Seattle area. Might be worth asking around to see if friends have used someone else and compare the price. I know things seem to generally be more expensive in So Cal, so maybe that is the going rate.
Greenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
That's really high IMO. For our whole family it's only $100 and we get all the pictures too
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

In San Diego that's very fair.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Depends on if just kid or fanily some here are 50p sitting & cost of photos... so lots less....unless tons of pics u get & retouch & all the extras...
Old 11-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller

I think you also have to factor in other aspects.

Around here there are tons of "fauxtographers" who buy a DSLR and play around on photoshop then charge $100 for an hour session and give you all your pictures on a CD. They under price services but the outcome is low quality in comparison to a true photographer with plenty of experience and knowledge.

If this photographer is legit, has experience and knowledge, and is reputable I feel that it could be a fair price.

Does she have a website you could link us to? Some of the more experienced members may be able to give you some more insight.

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

If she has years of experience and a solid portfolio I'd pay that much anywhere. The difference between true professional and someone with only few years of experience claiming to be a 'pro' with entry level equipment is a huge difference.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #8
joyous
Registered Users
Formerly: erika375
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only
I think you also have to factor in other aspects.

Around here there are tons of "fauxtographers" who buy a DSLR and play around on photoshop then charge $100 for an hour session and give you all your pictures on a CD. They under price services but the outcome is low quality in comparison to a true photographer with plenty of experience and knowledge.

If this photographer is legit, has experience and knowledge, and is reputable I feel that it could be a fair price.

Does she have a website you could link us to? Some of the more experienced members may be able to give you some more insight.
Yes here is the website. It is her and her husband, but she will be the one shooting my daughter and me.

http://eplove.info/blog

Thanks for the feedback so far. I've looked on Craigslist, and it is cheaper, but a lot of them have no websites, and some I just don't like their pictures.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #9
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

I think as far as "reasonable", that's up to you. Yes photographers do/can charge that much. Do I think that is reasonable? Not a chance. We have had wonderful pictures taken for far less than that. Granted, I like studio pictures just fine, it might be harder to find someone to take outdoor pictures for a low price. I just don't think a couple hours of a photographer's work is worth $400.

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #10
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyous View Post
Yes here is the website. It is her and her husband, but she will be the one shooting my daughter and me.

http://eplove.info/blog

Thanks for the feedback so far. I've looked on Craigslist, and it is cheaper, but a lot of them have no websites, and some I just don't like their pictures.
The ones on CL are likely "fauxtographers." They are as I described above, the ones who buy a DSLR and go into bizzzzness within a month.

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote