Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
Maeve Baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My 3 & 2 year old are driving me nuts...help please!

I have a 3.5 year old DD and a 28 month old DS. I am 26 weeks pregnant with our third. I am having a problem with getting them to play "nicely" by themselves for even the shortest amount of time. If they do not have all of my attention they are fitting, not listening and getting into trouble.

I work at home with 2 day care children coming 4x per week and they are 19 months old so I am home with them all the time. Even though they have to share my attention I do give them quality time-I give them helping mommy jobs, we read, go on outings and DD is in preschool twice per week along with other activitives.

I just want to know if other's find their young children this difficult and what they do??? I just don't understand why they can't play for 15 minutes on their own? I just wonder how I am going to breast feed and tend to a new born with out using T.V. and so on as I really hate using them to bied time.

Also what about yelling. I am finding their ears are only open to my voice if I go to that place. I hate yelling and feel awful after I do it but honestly after asking them in my "nice voice" 4 times I just get sooo frustrated.

Thanks mama's

Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
No advice, but I'm in a similar situation. DD will be 2.5 when new baby comes and she will maybe play 10minutes on her own. I'm hoping that nursing gets well established quickly so it's easier once DH goes back to work. But I am stressed about it.

I am working on creating a basket of special toys for nursing times that she will not get to play with at other times. Hoping that helps hold her interest for longer. So, I guess that's my advice
Old 11-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: My 3 & 2 year old are driving me nuts...help please!

I'm in this same place right now and I hate it However, I have discovered the less toys in the room, the better. Right now I have books and push toys (a ton!) only in the common area of the house. Changing activities also helps. We have markers that only color on special paper and I'll use those and when things turn nasty (or I can feel tension rising) we quickly put that away and play with push toys. Then maybe next we'd watch an episode of the Wiggles or play freeze dance (turn TV to a music channel and press mute, everyone freezes). The last two are my kids faves and would be particularly good while nursing since it only requires a remote control. They also love to watch cooking shows and "make" food and serve it to me, it's so cute This is awesome while I'm cooking dinner because they feel like they're doing it with me.

Also: I plan to have a mess free (haha) snack prepared before I nurse. This worked really well when DS was born and nursed for 45 every 1 1/2 hours.

Last edited by cdeweese; 11-26-2012 at 08:54 PM.
cdeweese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I am almost exactly the same as you, only 22 weeks pregnant! I've spent the last several months modeling good sharing with the girls, and drilling it into DD1s head that DD2 doesn't have to play with her and it's ok. DD2 is a snatcher of toys, so I've been teaching her to give things back when I say. They are still a handful. It's just the age. I was terrified of what I would do when I had DD2, but it turned out ok. I feel reasonably confident we'll manage this time too, and so will you!! Take this time to figure out why they aren't doing well and work on easy strategies you can use once the baby comes.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
gardensparrow
Registered Users

Re: My 3 & 2 year old are driving me nuts...help please!

Wow, that's a tough one. I think a lot of parents can relate to the frustrations of trying to get kids to entertain themselves-easier said than done! But, I totally understand why you want to start addressing this before your next little one comes. So, if you're interested, I recently read an article called "Independent Play" while at Focus on the Family that I thought gave some good ideas on how to get kids to play on their own. You should be able to find it by doing a search on the thrivingfamily.com website. But, might be worth trying out with your two young ones if you get the time? And, as far as feeling like you have to yell to get your kids' attention, there's a book called Screamfree Parenting by Hal Edward Runkel that talks about this topic that I thought was good. Perhaps you could find it at your local library or online? So, just some suggestions that might be helpful. Hang in there!
gardensparrow is offline   Reply With Quote