Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
irishdancemomma
Registered Users

Best Wooden Toddler Walker

Would like your opinions on this. DH and I are going to purchase a walker (aka push toy) for DS for his first birthday on the 21st of Dec. I know I want something wooden, solid, and that will last a long time. Something versatile that he will play with for a few years would be a bonus. We went to a local toy store to check some out and I am in love with the Haba walker wagon. DS pushed it easily but it didn't go too fast, it didn't fall over when he pulled up on it, and the little seat in the front is great for putting little stuffed animal friends in. It also seems to be very well made and simple enough that it could be used as a doll stroller, grocery cart, lawn mower, or whatever else when he gets older. What I don't like about it is the price tag. There is no way I can afford to pay $150 for a toy for my one year old. I tried to find a used one with no luck. I HATE the cheap plastic walkers, so I suppose I'm gonna have to spend at least 60-70 bucks to get a wooden one. My question is this: Which wooden walker would you recommend in the $60-$70 price range?

Advertisement

irishdancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
babyfever2012
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Best Wooden Toddler Walker

Baby stow and go activity walker - Beka bus walker wooden toddler walker - The Original Toy Company baby walker - Plan toys baby walker....Those are just a few that came up when I googled baby walkers. All seem very reasonably priced too. I was curious because in the near distant future I will be seeking the same thing.
babyfever2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
irishdancemomma
Registered Users

Thanks! I'll look into those. I've seen the plan toys one, but many reviews complain about it tipping over. Does anyone have first hand experience with the Brio Toddler Wobbler?
Old 11-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
We have the Melissa and Doug alligator one. It's wooden, solid and about $70.

But it won't convert to anything later. It's just a walker.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
persephassa
Registered Users
seller

The ikea one is nice and inexpensive--only $20. I kind of wish I had gotten that one. Our baby isn't old enough for one yet, but we have the radio flier wagon. It's cute but still like $80.
persephassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #6
irishdancemomma
Registered Users

The Melissa and Doug one is on my list of maybes. I wish our local store carried it though. Shipping for wood toys is crazy!

The Ikea one is exactly what I want, but it can't be ordered online and the closest Ikea is a good 3.5 hrs away.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
holl_ie
Registered Users
seller

Can you get someone closet to an Ikea to mail one? I *think* it is packed in a flat box,so shouldn't be too much to ship.
holl_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #8
ecocentric
Registered Users
seller

I was very pleased with the Mishi Designs push walker: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

Its a bit pricey, but it does turn into a ride on toy. We've had it in the "bike" form for over 2 years, and ds plays with it everyday- he loves the back bucket. I like that it steers- many wooden ride ons do not. When I factored in that it was multiple wooden toys in one, I was happy with the price, especially since I think it will hold resale value.
The one caveat is that while most of the assembly was simple, the bucket was a challenge. I am glad it only needs to be assembled once, changing the forms is easy.
ecocentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:56 AM   #9
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

The Haba walker wagon is amazing. I bought it 5 years ago and it wasn't as much as it is now, but its worth stalking for a deal. Ours still looks brand new. The almost 6 year old and the 15m old play with it daily. It never, ever tips with new walkers who use it to pull up, and the wheels don't hurt when the run over bare mama feet. :P

I can't pull up CamelCamelCamel on my phone but you should check to see what it goes down to. I know I bought ours through Oompa and, again this was over 5 years ago, but they were running a cool special where I earned a gift card for later use when I bought it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...w_bottom_links

Last edited by L J; 11-27-2012 at 12:59 AM.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:24 AM   #10
BellaPepper
Registered Users
seller

I just bought DS the radio flyer walker. It is awesome and I can imagine him using it for years and years, it's truly heirloom quality. I read the reviews on amazon and they were great.
BellaPepper is offline   Reply With Quote