Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
"I want to be married"

So, when did this start for your daughter? Mine isn't even 3 yet! She came up to me in a fabric store ( a snooty, expensive one with a bridal display), and I saw that she had "borrowed" some of the bridal decorations to dress herself up like a bride, even with a bouquet and veil! I really am not sure where she is getting it from, since we don't watch a lot of TV that features weddings.

The entire rest of the day she was telling me that she wanted to be a bride and be married. I'm sure that she just wants to dress up (I was the same way!), but I wasn't expecting it to start so early. I asked her who she was going to marry, and she said "daddy," or course!

Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: "I want to be married"

cute!
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Aww! How sweet

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
Gerdgrid
Formerly K****i
seller
seller

Awww, adorable

DD isn't really verbal yet, but DS5 asks ALL THE TIME "When can I get married?" "Can I marry Hazel?" (his sister ) "How many kids should I have?" "Can I stay home with my babies and be in charge and make my wife go to work?" - I laughed about that one for a looong time
Gerdgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
Gerdgrid
Formerly K****i
seller
seller

Dreaded Double Post

Last edited by Gerdgrid; 12-04-2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: I don't like DP :)
Gerdgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My dd1 has already started and she's just a month or two younger than yours. I think part of it is she's been to at least 3 weddings this year, two in the past four months and we talk about mommy and daddy being married.
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DD1 tells me she is married to me or DH or her sister all the time. It just started recently. She is 3 in March.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
maddys_mama
Registered Users

My Mood:
Dd started asking if she could marry her brother shortly after he was born. She had just turned 3. She still asks if she can marry him, 2 years later.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #9
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Tharen started at about 5 I think. He started out planning to marry his brother who was not at all thrilled with the idea. Then he moved on to just generally asking when he could get married and if I thought some one would "pick him". He has this idea that to get married some one just chooses him. Then he will adopt two children.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #10
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

My DD loves the thought of getting married, too. I think it's normal. I'd say for us it started somewhere in her 4th year. Somehow we managed to avoid it till then. She loves the idea of dressing up. And I think she is starting to get a grasp on romance (she will be 6 next month) and of course, that is glamorous and exciting!

We try to encourage her to think in broader terms. First, we tell her she has a lot more growing up to do, and a lot to learn about the world before she can think about getting married. Then, we tell her that when she turns 25, we will help her find a good man to marry if she still feels like she wants to get married. (Obviously, there's nothing we can do once she hits 18 yrs old, but hey, we can hope!)

And we also try to show her the down side of being married and having kids. Yes, its fun and babies are cute, but there are a lot of responsibilities that come along with it. There are a lot of things you can do that are exciting and fun when you are NOT married, that are much harder to do when you are married.

I think she has a pretty good grasp on it. She's pretty mature for her age, but she sometimes will say, "I am not sure if I want to get married or not. I have a lot to learn first!" LOL

This is an ongoing dialogue in our house.

She recently grasped the idea that she can't marry someone she's related to. ... and in the car, she asked, "Mom, am I related to ______ ?" I said, "No, honey." ... I totally saw where this was going.... Then she said, "Hmmm.... Maybe I might want to marry him when I grow up." And I thought DH would crash into a tree. LOL It was hilarious.

Last edited by Kiliki; 12-04-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote