Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

Question I there even an appropriate punishment??

The 4 yr old cut the 1 yr old's hair....

She hid it from me, and lied when I asked her, until I showed her the hair, then she fessed up. She KNOWS it was wrong.

My 13 yr old was supervising (or not). I was home, just in a different room, they were working on crafts. The scissors were little blunt tip kid ones, I didn't even think they were sharp enough to cut paper.

The baby was kind of bald to begin with but just got like 10 strands long enough to go in a bow...now those are about 1/2 long...and sticking straight up.

So...punishment ideas...

Advertisement

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I there even an appropriate punishment??

Currency in my house is Netflix, bedtime music, and stuffed animals. I'd take away something important to the 4 year old.

But, it is the 13 year old who would be in trouble the most.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Tough one. Certainly no scissors for awhile....
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

I agree 13 y/o should get biggest punishment, esp if said child witnessed the entire thing and did nothing to step in. That is a big no-no.

I realize others may disagree with me, but when an older sibling is in the room and a younger one starts doing something they KNOW is wrong, I do think the older sibling should stop the younger sibling peacefully, and then alert the parent immediately about it.

It's not my oldest's job to raise my younger kids, but she is very responsible and smart, and if she were to watch one of the other 2 do something she knows is wrong, she would be in pretty big trouble.

Since it's just hair, I'd do something like taking a toy away or something else for the 4 y/o.

The 13 y/o, I dunno what I'd do, I don't have kids that old yet. But they'd have a punishment for sure.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
cbreeding
Registered Users

If the 13yo was supposed to be supervising, then a punishment/more chores or something of that nature. As for the 4yo, no scissors for a while. For my 5yo this was the worse punishment. For us it is the "proper use of scissors" rule. If you cut things other than what has been "approved", then the lose of use is the consequence.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
Anna0623
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd cut ds hair once she lost scissors for over a week. She loves to cut paper and this was torture. I would definitely punish the older one too probably extra chores, I would pick one the older child did not like to do.
Anna0623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Our 4 yo cut our 1 yo's hair. It would have been worse had not the 6 yo come screaming/running through the house to get dh. I don't think there was any punishement per se, just a stern talking-to. At some point or another I think about 50% of preschoolers cut their own hair or that of a sibling. It could be worse!
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #8
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DH said, "Sounds like the 13 year old would be getting a haircut!"
Old 11-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
Done at 3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
For what it's worth I cut my brothers hair when we were kids, and it was badly done! I used a round brush and kitchen scissors to try to give him a fade :/, he had to miss a birthday party that afternoon and get his head shaved almost bald but I wound up having a successful career as a hairstylist in NYC. Fortunately my skills improved significantly
Old 11-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #10
irishdancemomma
Registered Users

I don't know the exact situation, but it may not be fair to punish the 13 y/o. Maybe they turned around to get something. All it takes is those couple of seconds. Surely you as parents have made the mistake of turning your back for a few seconds. I would have a talk with him/her, but I probably wouldn't be too harsh unless I knew they were goofing around (playing on their phone, watching tv, etc). This is coming from the oldest child of eight. I was punished for things that were not really my fault many many times growing up just because I was the oldest and "should have been paying attention". I am a bit of a perfectionist and upsetting my parents really got to me. Being in trouble on a regular basis for things I didn't do really stuck with me in a bad way.

As far as the four year old goes, no scissors for sure. I'd probably add something else into that, but nothing seems particularly fitting, so it would probably be no TV, no dessert, no favorite toy, or something of that nature.
irishdancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote