Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #21
InBloomDoula
Registered Users
seller

Re: I there even an appropriate punishment??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbreeding View Post
If the 13yo was supposed to be supervising, then a punishment/more chores or something of that nature. As for the 4yo, no scissors for a while. For my 5yo this was the worse punishment. For us it is the "proper use of scissors" rule. If you cut things other than what has been "approved", then the lose of use is the consequence.
A agree that the 4yo should lose use of scissors but also something else for the lying and deception of the "hair cut". My devilish side wants to say give the 4 yo a hair cut too but that seems like it wouldn't teach her anything and is just my desire for revenge on behalf of the 2 yo. 13 yo should absolutely get a punishment for not watching. My brother in law is 14 and frequently is asked to watch my 14mo while me or my ILs leave the room and he is aweful at it. He watches the computer/TV and not her! His punishment is no screen time for the rest of the day.

Advertisement

InBloomDoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #22
acwakip
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Was the 13 year old aware she was supervising? I know I leave the room to go do something else and forget to tell the older kids to "watch" the baby. DH and I are really good about just "knowing" when we are on duty that we forget that the kids aren't quite on that same page yet.

I would be upset, but I don't think it is worthy of any punishment beyond no scissors for the 4 year old and no distractions when "in charge" for the 13 year old.
acwakip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #23
InBloomDoula
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgirlohboyohno View Post
ok - The 13 yr old was knitting (I didn't want to say because I know y'all would all be like "wow" so cool! ) so she wasn't totally paying attention. She did see the 4 yr old with scissors but never saw her actually cutting the baby hair.

I think I am going to take both girls (4 and 13) to get their hair cut....they both have really long hair and never want to get it cut....I *might* imply that they are getting a lot cut...but really they both need a trim, and that would be ALL they would get. And a discussion about WHO is allowed to cut hair (for the 4yr olds benefit). And no more scissors. The 4 yr old cut her own hair already when she was 2....so she knows that this was not good.

Now I have 2 little baggies of hair with "Emma cut her hair"

This is the mature and helpful version of what I was referring to. I love the hairdresser idea and it seems like that would really help to teach the 4 yo that she can't cut anyone's hair.
InBloomDoula is offline   Reply With Quote