Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
Monaleigh27
Registered Users

What potty trainers work best? Does anyone make their own?

Looking for some good potty trainers to start out with when we start training. I am also looking for some ideas on making some on the cheap.
Thanks!

Advertisement

Monaleigh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What potty trainers work best? Does anyone make their own?

I haven't, but have the idea of sewing some PUL on the outside of something like Gerber pull up trainers when it's time. Not trying to be waterproof, just reduce the amount of leakage to reduce damage to furniture, etc.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
strongwoman
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I say don't spend the time or money on looking for the perfect trainers. I went straight to undies with DS1 and with ds2 we went nakie time, have progressed to pants (commando) and don't use any trainers. We only use diapers at nap time and night time. Some might say I'm "hardcore"; I say I'm just motivated to not spend any more time looking for and spending money on diapers. And I trust that my lil dude can do this! If you want to save money, go buy the book "oh crap, potty training" at www.jamieglowacki.com. She really breaks down the stages of training into manageable parts, helping you know hen you child is ready for the next block of training. Anyway, that is the end of my advertisement!
strongwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

When we potty trained. We used antsy pants only for outings. And underwear at home. No diaper touched my boys after starting. They learned fast and mostly uneventfully. One had an accident at a store once. Thank goodness it was a concrete floor and I carried prefolds on case of such an event. Lol. Cleaned it up before he ever had a chance at embarrassment. He wa 24 months.

My second some trained at 26. Both were so easy into undies. Even at night. Sure they set the bed. For a few nights. Then nada.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:44 AM   #5
Qylie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Just went through this with my 19m old son. After the first week you really don't have lots of accidents. If you do I would say slow down on the activities. We went naked. I put him in underwear the second week.
Qylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Like others said, my son went straight to undies (we did "3 day potty training). We use Motherease trainers for outings "just in case" but he never really has had an accident since the first week or two. I liked the Motherease trainers over others (Ive tried LOTS and even made my own) because the elastic is gentle which makes it eaiser for them to pull up/down on their own. I also added side snaps to mine which made it easier to change accidents (didnt have to take off pants/shoes to change him unlike with the pull up style trainer).
Old 12-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
hokoonchi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Unlike others, I really love the training pants. We use the Hanna Anderssons and Blueberries. I like them b/c they fit like underpants but are absorbent. DS doesn't know anything different. He often doesn't have an accident at all during the day now, but when he does, he can still feel the wet but it doesn't get everywhere. I ordered some trainers with PUL for naptime and got some others off of FSOT.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
rmahlberg
Registered Users

I love green bees trainers, they have 3 layers of bamboo and even work for overnight. They have worked great with my DS and they snap on the sides to make changing easier. They are also only $7-8 so a great deal too! www.greenbeesdiapers.com
rmahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #9
Bubbasmom
Registered Users
seller

I would start with cloth trainers that are reasonably priced or used ones, because your child will only be using them for a short time. I prefer the nonwaterproof kind. I used JC Penney's brand, Okie Dokie, which were my favorites and Gerber. Okie Dokie are a little thicker than Gerber. Easy transition to underwear.
Bubbasmom is offline   Reply With Quote