Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #11
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:
Re: Handwashing diapers.

You could try boiling your inserts (don't boil stuff with PUL or snaps). After you wash them throw them in a pot of hot water, put it on the stove and boil them for about 6 to 10 minutes. Or you could add a touch of bleach to your wash or rinse water. A plunger will definitely help with washing, but multiple layers are just harder to get clean.

As far as washing at the laundromat, you can prerinse at home, do the full wash at the laundromat and then a final rinse at home to reduce costs as well.

You don't have to give up your pockets. I've hand washed pockets many times. Just switch out what kind of inserts you are using. I used flats and prefolds to stuff my pockets and hand washed those pretty easily.

Advertisement

rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:02 PM   #12
BiscuitFarmer
Registered Users

Okay, I'll try to take all those suggestions into account. I'll swap out the microfiber inserts for flats/prefolds (we have some microfiber towels, too. Would those work since they're just the one layer?), get a plunger to use, use the Laundromat whenever we have the extra money, boil the inserts as well, just to see if that cuts down on the issue before switching to flats. Receiving blankets can work as inserts, right?
BiscuitFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:13 PM   #13
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitFarmer
Okay, I'll try to take all those suggestions into account. I'll swap out the microfiber inserts for flats/prefolds (we have some microfiber towels, too. Would those work since they're just the one layer?), get a plunger to use, use the Laundromat whenever we have the extra money, boil the inserts as well, just to see if that cuts down on the issue before switching to flats. Receiving blankets can work as inserts, right?
Flat MF would be better than inserts for sure but your best bet is plain ole cotton flats!
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:21 PM   #14
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ammonia is a base. Soap is a base. Water is a Neutral ph. It takes a lot of water to get rid of ammonia. However vinegar is an acid. Try soaking them in water with a cup or 2 of vinegar in the tub or a bucket over night. (use regular white vinegar that you can buy cheap by the gallon at most stores)

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:41 PM   #15
flylady0505
Registered Users
seller

Go to Home Depot and get a gallon of odo ban amazing stuff you can ad a bit to your wash or rinse safe for laundry and this should take care of your problem
flylady0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #16
parterasd
Registered Users

Yes, recieving blankets work, and are all cotton. Also cut up flannel sheets, cut up towels, cut up t shirts... You can do this! Hang in there :-)
parterasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:26 AM   #17
BellaPepper
Registered Users
seller

Have you tried a wet pail? I would try a wet pail with some vinegar in it for between washes. I would not go to the laundry mat. The fabric softner will ruin the diapers.
BellaPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #18
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

The detergent in the washer will not be a problem for flats and neither will softener. They also would not need that many washes. If you rinsed thoroughly at home home and let them dry, you could probably get away with just one hot wash. I honestly think plain cotton flats are more absorbent than microfiber anyway. Can you just store them for now since they are on loan and try the receiving blankets/flour sack towels?

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #19
BiscuitFarmer
Registered Users

Thank you for all the suggestions! I haven't tried a wet pail... I'm hesitant to. I've heard they're a breeding ground for bacteria, and I have a toddler running around and I don't have a place to put it that she can't get to. I'll soak them overnight in the vinegar. I can still boil the inserts, but I just remember that the biggest part of our inserts have snaps on them! I'll dawn those... that seems to work a bit. I just can't do that all the time.
BiscuitFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #20
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Id try using a lil blue dawn. Will take more rinsing but it should help