Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-22-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
cassmama
Registered Users
seller

Night/nap training a two year old?

So we started PTing three days ago (2 days at home, today she was in daycare) and I think DD is doing great. Today I brought her home and she went naked til bedtime with zero accidents, just ran to the potty chair and went! Even pooped twice after holding it since Saturday lol poor girl. I do have a feeling she feels more comfortable peeing in undies than naked, but at least her daycare lady doesn't mind her in just undies. Better than trainers. Any ideas on this front are appreciated, I might try her going commando if it persists.

But my real question is sleep time. I'm pretty sure she simply is not ready to wake herself to pee. She does tell me, like tonight I got her in her Gerber trainers all tucked into bed and THEN she said "peepee" so I took her and she went (after just going like 5min prior). But she doesn't seem to be waking during the night wanting to pee. Nap times are pretty similar. She usually waits until after being tucked in and then wants to pee.

So I'm wondering if I should just stick with diapers for sleep for now? Just leave her in trainers and wait until she gets uncomfortable enough to do something about it? Be proactive and wake her to pee? I definitely don't like the sound of the latter, as I seriously value her sleep time lol. I generally put her in a Gerber trainer with a nylon pants over it, still leaks but not terribly. I'm considering doing just a trainer and dealing with the mess? Or is she just too young to really get it? I could also sew a strip of PUL on the outside so its not as bad.

I don't know, this isn't something I gave much thought to 3 days ago. And she's doing so well I don't want to stress her out about night's (especially with a little brother due in May).

Advertisement

BWing, BFing , CDing, and finally preggo with Miles, baby #2!! [/SIZE]

cassmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
cassmama
Registered Users
seller

ETA she just woke up crying a little. She had already peed but wanted to (and did) pee again in the potty and then went back to bed. I just don't want her to get the idea that this is what we do all night, she totally would too.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:12 AM   #3
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Night/nap training a two year old?

Mine oldest mind you actually didn't go ever at nights. I wished she would have slept more because of that fact. day time was the kicker as anytime she needed to poo it was hiding time. Only thing I could ask/ say is no drinks before bed ( I did give once even early on and peed in night but then realized the accident is my fault)..... so went back to no drinks. maybe til she gets more consistent that she have something on at night. I think my toddler now I think if I were to really be on top of things in the morning she could go without diaper and just use the potty but as I am tired and all we diaper at night because I have to pee right away when I get up it is hard to try to get multiple bottoms on 1 toilet....

It sounds like she can wake herself so doesn't seem that she will be one that won't wake later if she needs to go in the night.

also be aware that there might be reverting from baby being born.... anoter reason why I am waiting on my 21 month training. My oldest reverted at 3 I think when we moved as my in laws said there might be as they had experience with it.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:27 AM   #4
cassmama
Registered Users
seller

Yea I'm worried about that in May hopefully she catches on quick and is pretty used to it by then. Also DH has 2wks paternity leave (yayyy!) So maybe that will help with the transition so DD doesn't feel ignored you know? Oh well, we are bound to be out of diapers eventually right? I think I like the idea of just using what I'm using now (I might sew a strip of PUL on the outside instead of nylon pants once the amount of pee goes down. She sure can soak em) and letting her potty if she wakes on her own. I just hope she doesn't start waking 6x a night ... Or making a game out of it like she tried to do at naptime yesterday lol.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
estrellajane
Registered Users
seller

My 2.5 year old just started using the potty last week. She's in underwear for her naps because she asks for it and hasn't had an accident yet. Overnight we still do diapers for now because she still wakes up pretty wet and I don't think she's quite ready to stay dry all night.

(Congrats on the boy in May! I'm expecting a boy in April)
estrellajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't worry about it. Def pee before naps/night but I wouldn't push personally. When I daytime PL my son he PL for naps too, but I knew he has a big bladder (he's gone 6+ hours without peeing - annoys me greatly). I don't know if would wake up to pee honestly but if we pee right before nap I know he can hold it. He does wear a nighttime diaper. He does wake up dry sometimes (10+ hours). I tell him when he's dry every morning for a while he can wear undies to bed (when he asked, or when he wake up dry) but I don't think he really cares.

Eveything I heard/read says don't push it (nights at least) sleep is more important.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
cassmama
Registered Users
seller

Yep I decided that too, she's such a good sleeper I don't really care if she pees at night, especially at only 2yrs old. I did order some super undies though, I really don't want to put her back in diapers (mostly cause she likes pulling them down to pee in the morning) and these have a pocket for extra absorbency. Naps are getting better I think, especially at daycare. The other day she was dry after naptime!

Now we begin the bedtime battles, wanting to pee 6x plus the usual 832 kisses on different parts of her face. This is her newest game/stalling tactic. While its cute lol I finally have to say enough kisses!

Old 02-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
luvinmybaby!
Registered Users
seller

My DD is 4 now, but she was daytime potty trained around 21 months. She was not night-time potty trained until somewhere around 2 1/2 years. So it took about another 9 months after she was daytime potty trained to be night time potty trained. Daytime naps were not an issue for her, as long as she went before her nap she didn't have an accident.

Night time I did not do anything super special. Early on when I didn't exect her at all to make it through the night I put on a diaper. Then at some point I started putting on a pull-up so she could easily get up and go in the middle of the night. I had one of those pink plastic pottys in her room so she didn't have to go far. The only thing I did other than that was make sure she went potty before bedtime and kept on reminding her if she woke up and needed to go potty that the potty is right there, and it's ok to get up and go potty if she needed to. After a while she eventually started doing it, but most nights at some point (probably when her bladder grew more) she didn't even need to go at night.

I guess what I'm saying is I think that as long as you have her go before bedtime and remind her what to do if she wakes at night, she'll eventuall start doing it.
luvinmybaby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #9
cassmama
Registered Users
seller

Yea that's a good idea. The only thing is she is not such a great wiper lol, I'm sure we would have a mess and she couldn't see anything. Maybe we will try that later on

Old 02-02-2013, 11:35 PM   #10
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

My younger daughter was just over 2 when she was day trained. We waited a few weeks until trying out no diapers at nap time but only because she insisted on wearing undies. She had maybe 2 accidents but then did fine. Then about a week later she wanted to wear undies to bed, so we tried it and she did fine. We reminded her that she couldn't pee in her undies and took her potty right before bed. The only time she had accidents are when we forgot to have her pee right before bed.

She will be 3 in May, and hasn't peed in bed in a long time. We allow her unlimited access to water at night (she sleeps with a water bottle in bed), and she does fine. In fact, she usually waits an hour or two after waking up in the morning to go pee...so 14 hours without going. I'm sure every child is different, but this has been my experience with both of my girls.