Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
Southern Momma
Registered Users
Formerly: MorrigansMomma
seller
seller

My Mood:
Info on water births, please?

Hi all! I just had a check up with my OB (I'm 21 weeks) and she informed me I have the option for a water birth. I'm really not sure what all that involves (other than giving birth in a birthing tub, theirs looks like an inflatable pool).

I'm meeting with a midwife for the first time Dec 19th and I can ask her all about it but I wanted to get some info before I meet with her.

To those that have done this: What are the benefits for having a water birth? What are some pros and cons? An good websites I should check out? Any info you can think to give me will be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Info on water births, please?

I had DS and YDD in water.

I can't say enough good things about it.

I've heard the pain relief called an "aqua-dural". I find the warm water to be very soothing and calming, and it does give me a great measure of pain relief for the majority of labor. The peaks of contractions are still intense. But the serenity of the water, and the relaxation it gives, helps me ease through most of my labor quite effortlessly b/c I don't have to fight my muscles to keep them relaxed.

I've heard of some women not liking it, though.

Personally, I can never have running water (like a shower, for example). The sound of the running water makes me tense up, and I HATE the feeling of anything touching me during labor. So the pool is the very very very best thing ever.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
Southern Momma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you! It does sound very relaxing. I'm not sure about delivering baby under water though. I know they won't breath in water but it still worries me a little.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrigansMomma View Post
Thank you! It does sound very relaxing. I'm not sure about delivering baby under water though. I know they won't breath in water but it still worries me a little.
Maybe you could research the risks and you would feel a bit more comfortable?

There are certainly risks. However, they are very, very slight. If you birth in water, the baby is going from the water in your uterus, to the water in the pool, they (theoretically) never touch the air.

Anyway, you should ask your provider, or research a little yourself, so you can make a choice you are comfortable with.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm having my second water birth here shortly without the water there is no way I could go med free. I have posterior babies and need the water to be able to float slightly so I can roll around. Lol.

I <3 my water birth! It's also more... For me.. Intimate? Having my first son at the hospital, with a nurse staring at me and yadada was very sterile and cold. My water birth was very very personal and natural. I won't ever birth in a hospital again, unless forced. With that said, Idk how iwouldcall feel about birthing in water at a hospital. Maybe. At least I would feel less 'on display' than if my legs were hiked up in a hospital bed. Lol.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
I'm having my second water birth here shortly without the water there is no way I could go med free. I have posterior babies and need the water to be able to float slightly so I can roll around. Lol.

I <3 my water birth! It's also more... For me.. Intimate? Having my first son at the hospital, with a nurse staring at me and yadada was very sterile and cold. My water birth was very very personal and natural. I won't ever birth in a hospital again, unless forced. With that said, Idk how iwouldcall feel about birthing in water at a hospital. Maybe. At least I would feel less 'on display' than if my legs were hiked up in a hospital bed. Lol.
OP, you should be aware, some hospitals will not allow you to birth your baby in the water, and will ask you to move once you start pushing. And, from personal experience, having to waddle to a bed between pushing contractions, with a baby's head coming out of your hoo-ha is really not fun or empowering, not even a little.

My first DD was a hospital birth and they allowed me to labor in the tub. As soon as the nurse realized I was crowning, she demanded I move to the bed, and I had to push with legs up in the stirrups. When I hesitated, she threatened to call a few male nurses to carry me to the bed if I didn't move after my next contraction.

Also, be advised, not all midwives who practice in a hospital are as NCB as you may be lead to believe. Mine was not. She broke my water, she pushed Pitocin, she refused to delay cord cutting, tried to do the whole counting-while pushing thing, and she just seemed overall really irritated by my presence.

Just some things to think on.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
Southern Momma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, keen1981. I hated being in the hospital bed on my back with my legs in the air. The more I think about this the more I'm really liking the idea of a water birth with a midwife
Old 11-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrigansMomma
Thanks, keen1981. I hated being in the hospital bed on my back with my legs in the air. The more I think about this the more I'm really liking the idea of a water birth with a midwife
It's very empowering. I swear to you. It changed ME. In my core. It's weird to describe how- just that I was in control of my own body and environment. And the water helped me maneuver quickly from side to side to sitting to whatever without exerting extra energy.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
Southern Momma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
My first DD was a hospital birth and they allowed me to labor in the tub. As soon as the nurse realized I was crowning, she demanded I move to the bed, and I had to push with legs up in the stirrups. When I hesitated, she threatened to call a few male nurses to carry me to the bed if I didn't move after my next contraction.
Wow, how did you fight the urge to smack her??? That's just awful.

Thanks for giving me somethings to think about and ask when I meet with the midwife. The hospital I'll be delivering at has only been doing water births for a little under a year and it's still kinda "new" for some of the staff but my doc said all the nurses have been trained to assist in one. I looked up the midwives website and it looks like I'm giving the option of delivering in the water or getting out. Again, good stuff that I need to write down and ask the midwife
Old 11-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrigansMomma View Post
Wow, how did you fight the urge to smack her??? That's just awful.

Thanks for giving me somethings to think about and ask when I meet with the midwife. The hospital I'll be delivering at has only been doing water births for a little under a year and it's still kinda "new" for some of the staff but my doc said all the nurses have been trained to assist in one. I looked up the midwives website and it looks like I'm giving the option of delivering in the water or getting out. Again, good stuff that I need to write down and ask the midwife
I had not been permitted to eat while laboring, despite claims otherwise prior to the birth. So by the time pushing came, I had not eaten in over eighteen hours, and only allowed ice chips, I was not permitted to DRINK water for over twelve hours. So when the nurse threatened me, I just sobbed and waddled to the bad after the next contraction. I was very defeated during that birth.