Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #21
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Info on water births, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
Thanks for the good answers.

I'm really weird about my butt
I wear shorts in a pool
And I used to have to get regular spine X-rays and they always let me wear shorts under my gown.

But they told me if I didn't get the birthing tub and was using the bathtub in my room, I'd have to get out at crowning.

But good to know that it'd be normal to atleast wear a top. Will remember to pack that stuff
I'm just letting you know from experience, that truly does suck. Just so you know. Think walking when the baby is engaged in your pelvis hurts? Try it during labor, between contractions, and when the baby's head is LITERALLY coming out of your vagina. Oy. lol

Maybe other people don't have that issue, I certainly did.

Advertisement

Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #22
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

both dd were born in the water (link in my sig) it really helped with pain. i was able to be in a comfortable position. made such a huge difference from my first 2 births.once i got in the tub i was nude but i had them at home so i wasnt feeling conscience about my body
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend

Last edited by KaleidoscopeEyes; 12-01-2012 at 09:07 AM.
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #23
Southern Momma
Registered Users
Formerly: MorrigansMomma
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
This is a silly question. But if I'm at a hospital (and I will be) I don't want to be naked in a tub.

But a gown in water sounds irritating. Does everyone just go naked? Maybe a sports bra and some shorts?

What would be acceptable and comfortable.

I won't be comfortable naked and I think a wet gown would twist and irritate me.

Thanks!
Not a silly question! I was wondering the same thing! I was thinking I'd wear a swim top/sports bra. When I labored in a gown in the bed with DD I would have gladly stripped down to nothing, though. I hated anything to be touching me!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #24
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

they make birthing skirts too http://www.birthinbinsi.com/Products.asp
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #25
Southern Momma
Registered Users
Formerly: MorrigansMomma
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
they make birthing skirts too http://www.birthinbinsi.com/Products.asp
Oh neat! Thank you!
Old 12-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #26
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was totally not into getting naked. Then labor hit, I stripped, left my sports bra on and leapt in my bathtub without another thought! my midwife had seen it all before
Old 12-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #27
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Thanks for the good answers.

I'm really weird about my butt
I wear shorts in a pool
And I used to have to get regular spine X-rays and they always let me wear shorts under my gown.

But they told me if I didn't get the birthing tub and was using the bathtub in my room, I'd have to get out at crowning.

But good to know that it'd be normal to atleast wear a top. Will remember to pack that stuff
I have the option of a waterbirth at the birth center where I'll be delivering. And I'm a little weirded out at the thought of being so exposed. But I have several maternity tankini swimsuits (so there's more coverage than a bikini top) and I have a maternity swim skirt. There's not underwear sewn to it -- it's meant to be worn over a swim suit. So I think I'll put that on. So if/when I get out of the tub I'm not naked, but the baby can still come out with it on.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #28
AmJoyFul
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
I think I had an unusually bad hospital experience, honestly. I don't think most hospitals are that bad. But I am simply not willing to find out, barring any horrible emergency. Anyway, sorry to hijack, op! Research, research, research! Knowledge is power!
I'm afraid these days most of them are. Are most popular hospital here is JUST like that. It's horrible.

Quote:
I'm debating between a hospital that has birthing pools in every room and one that has one pool, that's generally available, but a bathtub if it's not.

do you think a bathtub would be even comparable?
It depends on the kind of bathtub. Our hospitals here say you can labor in the tub(but not birth). But they are just regular tiny tub/shower units. The water doesn't even cover your belly, which pretty much defeats the purpose of pain relief. I HATED every second in that tub(but I could escape there to be away from everyone else).

My last baby was at a birth center with tubs designed for water birth. They are SOOOOOOOOO deep and SOOOOO huge and comfy. I would prefer a inflatable one over a regular shower/tub combo though.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #29
PatchworkPeddler
Registered Users
Formerly: MrsMommy0805
seller

My Mood:

I just wore a T shirt. The bra was irritating, but I felt too revealed without anything on so I just wore the shirt I had on. I have had 2 water births. They are amazingly relaxing and will help you relax (thus labor progress). ETA I didn't wear a loose, baggy shirt... That'd be uncomfortable for me. It was more of a fitting and comfortable shirt.

I wouldn't imagine any type of bottom would be comfortable nor practical. If you used a skirt, it'd float up. If you used shorts, it'd be really irritating IMO to have to take them off to push. But first and foremost, no matter what, just do what's most comfortable for YOU. If you think you'll be more comfy in a skirt or shorts, bring them all, and during labor you can decide what you want to wear. You might be very thankful you came prepared.

And, IMO, there's no way to predict how you'll feel during labor, even while you're in labor. Being over-prepared, IMO, is better than under-prepared. Try not giving a pregnant lady something she is really, really craving or needing.. Then try it again during labor. Not relaxing for her at all.

During the stages you change so much and you just want to go with the flow. You might even start out with shorts and end up with them off before you're ready to push, or even start without them and then decide you're not comfortable without them.

Make sure to explain that to your DH too, I did and I'm glad... One minute he was just gently touching my arm helping me through contractions and it really, REALLY helped, the next minute I asked him to stop and let me hold his hand but I couldn't explain even that much to him because I was laboring HARD and FAST that time around, so he didn't understand. Later I explained that him touching me began to feel like sandpaper on my skin, and he told me he didn't change how he was touching my arm. It kept communication open and kept from anyone's feelings being hurt

Last edited by PatchworkPeddler; 12-01-2012 at 05:21 PM.
PatchworkPeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #30
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
On the laboring woman's wardrobe:

I didn't water birth but I did wear my own clothes at the hospital. So much more comfortable. I wore a built in bra tank top and pj bottoms. I just took off my bottoms if they checked me and put them back on.

I am not comfortable with my body at all. Especially my legs and butt. I cant remember the last time i wore shorts. But at some point I just couldn't stand the pants and took them off. I was really surprised that my comfort needs overtook my modesty needs.

Really at that point I just didn't care. You may be surprised with yourself.

Sometime after the birth, I ended up in the hospital gown for reason I can't remember now but ick! I couldn't wait to put my clothes on so I felt like me!

If you want to birth/labor in water, bring clothes that you'll be comfortable in and don't worry about anybody else.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote